diy solar

diy solar

Recommend me a SCC

ericfx1984

Solar Enthusiast
Overcharge controller that can do 12 volts, 24 volts, 36 volts, 48 volts and can handle 60 amp charging

I recently tried the PowMr POW-M60-PRO

Honestly I'm not at all happy with it whoever programmed it thought it was a great idea to limit the PV voltage.. the unit itself is capable of either 150v or 190v depending on who you ask

Anyway I would like something that I could feed 150 volts in and have the controller convert down to a 12 volt lifepo4 battery I also want the ability to run 48 volts as this is a temporary install and later on I would like to be able to use it as a backup unit for my house build

So? Does that really matter?

MPPT efficiency drops the larger the deviation between PV and battery volts. Optimal is about 1.5X. The drop isn't big, and it's usually compensated for by reduced wiring losses with higher voltage/lower amps.

While you may envision some reason to put 150V PV in on a 12V system (long PV wire run), you might not like the 3-4% MPPT loss.

IMHO, if your end goal is 48V, that should be the focus.

Odd that the page says 250V but the manual says less. I'd reach out to Ian and get the specifics.

So? Does that really matter?

While you may envision some reason to put 150V PV in on a 12V system (long PV wire run), you might not like the 3-4% MPPT loss.

Well yes it does matter... It allows me to run thinish wire from panels to SCC... But more importantly this array will eventually be used on the house in 3s4p going into a 16s lifepo4 bank... Basically it's convenient

Last edited:
Overcharge controller that can do 12 volts, 24 volts, 36 volts, 48 volts and can handle 60 amp charging

I recently tried the PowMr POW-M60-PRO

Honestly I'm not at all happy with it whoever programmed it thought it was a great idea to limit the PV voltage.. the unit itself is capable of either 150v or 190v depending on who you ask

Anyway I would like something that I could feed 150 volts in and have the controller convert down to a 12 volt lifepo4 battery I also want the ability to run 48 volts as this is a temporary install and later on I would like to be able to use it as a backup unit for my house build

I did a bunch of research way back when, and decided to try a Victron SmartSolar charge controller. So far I have not been disappointed, so much so, I have since purchased several other ones (for a few different uses) in various sizes all the way up to my two 250|100 units I use in the motorhome. I like the ability to sync them together on a bluetooth network using a BMV-712 Battery Monitor as a single read point for the CC's to read voltage, current, and temp from, where they stay on same charge cycle as a pair of controllers, operating as one.

Here board comparison
Left : PowMr M60-PRO (No idea how good it is)
Right : PowMr 60A (Confirmed ripoff of MakeSkyBlue 60A. MakeSkyBlue is fine, PowMr 60A is dangerous)

Considering they use to make shitty and dangerous ripoff of other products (and probably still do because still on sale). I advise again getting PowMr products. Now who know, maybe these new M60-Pro are actually decent, need more data.

That being said, it seam that for efficiency, you want the PV voltage to be about 2 to 3x the battery voltage, And that would mean under 40V for a 12V system

1657388826067.png

Last edited:
Here is a MakeSkyBlue 60A
Look like the PowMr M60-Pro is still a ripoff product of the MakeSkyBlue 60A. But it might be on par with the actual product. (depending of what firmware they use as the old PowMr ripoff use MakeSkyBlue official but outdated V112 firmware).

1657391587711.png

Back