diy solar

diy solar

Recommendations for my system

pamelaneal

This is my current system setup: 10 panel 100 watt each solar panels, so 1000 watts, max sun average at 5 hrs per day, flat on the roof of a container, wired at 2S5P into a charge controller (60A MPPT 12-48V, max 160V PV input). Distance between panels and charge controller is about 12 feet. Charge controller feeds into 2 hybrid gel 200AH batteries wired in parallel, which feed into a 4000w inverter.

I would like to add more panels to increase available power during the day to run things like an electric wood splitter and other power tools. Right now, I don't seem to have enough coming in during the day to do this and charge my batteries for night use.

Looking at what I currently have, can someone tell me if I can add more panels to it (the concern is the charge controller) and whether or not it would actually help.

New to this forum so appreciate any advice! TIA

need to know the open circuit voltage (VOC on panel label ) of your panels to size strings for the 160 Volt max PV input.

24.3 Voc times 5 = 121.5 Voc if you place 5 of these panels in series.

Not sure on your charge controller, but most operate most effeciently above a voltage specified in the manual. Appears this could be the case with your charge controller. 2 panels in series gives you a 48.6 volt Voc input to the charge controller. If your batteries are wired for 48 volts, you may run into this as being an efficiency issue.

The voltage should still not exceed 160V. Given your current 2S configuration, you are well within this limit.

There is only so much you can accomplish at 12V, and running power tools all day long is not one of them. Really, if you want to make this work well, consider upgrading to at least 24V, which I myself have in my own workshop.

If you want to upgrade output too, first, get the panels off the flat roof. You can build an inexpensive frame out of light angle-iron that will hold them at a better angle to the sun. When flat, you really can't expect to get more than 60% of rated output. Just angling your panels towards the sun might give you an immediate 20-30% increase in production.

If you do add more panels, stop buying 12V automotive-style panels. Large 72-cell panels will be putting out ~36V, which is the same as two of you 100W panels can make, so they would be very compatable. Higher voltage strings will also help reduce power loss do to wire resistance.

diy solar

diy solar
Back