diy solar

diy solar

Recycling LiFePO4 batteries.

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
With all the adoption of LiFePO4 batteries for solar it got me thinking of what do you do with the old worn out or failed battery? With LA (Lead acid) there is no shortage of places you can turn them in (some will even pay you for the lead) but I am not aware of a recycling program for LiFePO4. Some Googling led to varoius discussions about lithium-ion battery recycling as it pertained to automobile battery packs but very little when it comes to alternate energy usage. It even seems that it can cost more to recycle than build new from virgin material. There is also the fact that many of the sellers of LiFePO4 batteries do not have a physical presence in the US to act as a collection site.

Batteries whether they last 3 years or 20 years or going to wear out. Than they need to be safely disposed of.

How do people plan to deal with their used up batteries?

I recently faced this problem, but found that my local waste management facility accepts batteries of all kinds for processing and recycling. They happily took a bunch of old lithium batteries, no questions asked. It cost me nothing more than the fuel to drive over there.
Now I doubt they'd accept huge quantities, though multiple smaller drop-offs would probably be fine.

In ten years mine will probably have 80 percent of their original capacity so I will probably sell them locally on Craigslist. $50 to $70 per cell would be less than $100 per kWh. Shipping would be the biggest hassle but maybe by then Redwood Materials will have some way to facilitate that if their process ramps up.

Back