diy solar

diy solar

LFP Recycling and Safety

iRondo

My castle, a boat; The ocean, my moat
Hey guys. I've run into a bit of an issue with one of my batteries. It's a drop-in type.
The issue is simple. They cylindrical cells appear to have been leaking electrolyte. I took the battery out of my dinghy for an inspection and noticed that there was a lot of sloshing noise coming from inside. The top of the battery is not removable so a carefully drilled a small hole in one corner at the top of the case just below where the lid is glued on. I was able to pour electrolyte out. I'm not a battery engineer but I'm pretty sure the electrolyte should be confined to the cylindrical cells that make up the pack.
I have been in contact with the manufacturer and with the retailer.
I'm in Mexico. The battery was manufactured by a Mexican company and purchased in Mexico by me 8 months ago. The retailer and manufacturer are saying they'll warrant it, but it's up to me to get the battery to them in a city 100 miles inland from my location. I live on and travel by boat. They have to have the battery before giving me my money or an exchange.
Anyway, time is running out. I have to leave this week and they're still dicking around. So, I'm considering just saying F it and to hell with them and doing a battery tear down video. I would take my oscillating saw and generator to shore and carefully cut the top off, pour the electrolyte into a container, take the BMS and Cells out, keep the BMS but BIG issue is what to do with the remnants. There is no lithium battery recycler here. Maybe not even in Mexico, I don't know.
The other issue of course is my personal safety. I don't know what to expect when I open the case. I have opened a different battery but it had pouch cells, was not leaking, and had a screwed-on lid.
One thing for sure is that when I sail out of San Carlos, this battery will not be coming to sea with me.

Sorry for the novel, thanks for any advice.

First off, I envy you! This is the prefect time of year to be in San Carlos, so I don't know why you're leaving. :)

I've been there many time, but it's been a long time, and I lost track of everyone that I knew there.

I wouldn't take the chance of cutting it open, nor would I worry about just leaving it.

Yes, San Carlos is great but it's too cold here now. We're headed for La Cruz next.
Cutting it open may not be so bad. I would have to tape it back together when done with it and leave a warning sign on it.
Don't know if I really have time for that or not though. The weather dictates when we leave and we have boat issues to tend to before then.

Thanks for answering

Back