diy solar

diy solar

Registering UK system with DNO

geo3geo

Does anyone know if it is actually illegal to operate a grid tied system in the UK without registering it with the DNO? I realise I wouldn't be eligible to register for any scheme to get payment for exported electricity but that's not currently of interest. The government web site says I must register but doesn't actually say if it's a legal requirement nor what happens if I don't!

From what I've READ...all grid tied with intent to sell back must be registered and approved in the UK. Also there is something about must register all systems with more than 3.6kwh.
Call a local sparky and they should know this.

An interesting question to which I don't know the answer; however, I would expect that it has a similar legal standing to the building regulations. Building regulations are a legal requirement for certain works, but enforcement is virtually non existent and time limited.

FWIW I registered an EV charging point with the DNO a couple of months ago, so you don't need to be a professional to register with them. You could probably do the same with a PV system, as long as it's compliant.

An interesting question to which I don't know the answer; however, I would expect that it has a similar legal standing to the building regulations. Building regulations are a legal requirement for certain works, but enforcement is virtually non existent and time limited.

FWIW I registered an EV charging point with the DNO a couple of months ago, so you don't need to be a professional to register with them. You could probably do the same with a PV system, as long as it's compliant.
To register a PV system it has to be installed by a registered installer, so it seems you can't register a DIY installation (unless of course you happen to be a registered installer!)

Think your going to have to do what the rest of us are planning.
Install it yourself, make sure it’s safe and can’t back feed to grid.
Then hope no one notices.

"can’t back feed to grid." - surely the PV invertor box protects against backfeeding, as I understand 'backfeeding' ie putting power on the grid when the grid supply is down. (?)

That’s how it’s supposed to work.
Probably depends on the actual inverter wether it’s absolutely impossible or shouldn’t be possible.

Back feeding to the grid is what grid tied inverters do as part of their normal operation. Excess power generated above the local consumption feeds the grid.

If the grid goes down the inverter will switch off. (Assuming a pukka inverter of course.)

I fitted my own system and had the final connection to the consumer unit done by a registered sparky. I sent a G98 to Western Power and where it asked for the installer details i put self installed. A couple of days later I received an email thanking me for sending the form in and telling me that my installation has been accepted. So If I were you I'd tell them and then it's all above board.

Not good practice, or advice :(

Last edited:
To register a PV system it has to be installed by a registered installer, so it seems you can't register a DIY installation (unless of course you happen to be a registered installer!)
This is not correct unless you are looking to get SEG payments. A system _can_ be self installed provided the necessary IET Wiring Regulations and Building Reg Part P are met. In most situations this will involve the final connection to the consumer unit being done by a registered sparky, as Paul mentioned above. The equipment must conform to G98 or G99 specs. For G98, the DNO must be informed within 28 of commissioning. For G99 DNO approval must be sought before installation. Again, as Paul said, self installed is valid for installer details.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies, very useful pointers for my way forward. Much appreciated.
Geo

Back