diy solar

diy solar

Relion batteries and adding another brand?

Fisherguy

Hi all, first post here.
We just bought a trailer with 3 RB100-LT lithion batteries and 3 - 200 watt solar panels with a Victron 100/50 controller.
The trailer has a Norcold 12 volt DC fridge which I'm not familiar with, the specs say it draws 8.3 amps. They're sposed to work better in hot weather and be less problematic than the usual propane/AC fridges RV's come with.
Because we only boondock camp with no hookups I'm thinking I may want to add another 100Ah battery and another 200 watt panel (which will require a bigger controller and probly heavier ga wiring to the roof.
So I look around for another Relion RB100-LT and find they're $2100 Cdn or $1160 US, yikes! So I'm wondering if there's any harm in adding a battery made by someone else? I can get a 100Ah heated Norsk battery for $1000 Cdn, any harm in that? Anyone have eedback on either brand?
Thanks
Will

Have been doing some clicking, Relion LT's have built in heaters and can be charged with temps of -20*C, Norsk are also heated and can only be charged with temps as low as 0*C. So I'm guessing not a good match?

Lifepo is not as problematic as other battery types to mix and match, the big problems I see is 4 heating batteries which can activate and have different amounts of energy pulled from each causing serious imbalance just keeping 4 non heated batteries in balance can be a challenge your wiring has to be installed correctly or it will be a problem wire size, length, connection points all will effect balance

thanks.
Ya I've been clicking around and learning about proper ways to wire up the batteries, equal length to bus bars is the best I think? Prvious owner just daisy chained the 3 he put in, not good.
I seems neither the Relion I have or the Norsk are really well known in the RV world, Relion are known more in the boating world I think.

thanks.
Ya I've been clicking around and learning about proper ways to wire up the batteries, equal length to bus bars is the best I think? Prvious owner just daisy chained the 3 he put in, not good.
I seems neither the Relion I have or the Norsk are really well known in the RV world, Relion are known more in the boating world I think.
daisy chaining is a common mistake it sound like your on the right track, check out Will Prouse on u tube he’s got good information on this subject

Back