diy solar

diy solar

Remote battery disconnect for a DC battery - KiloVault HAB 7.5

Because it is not a manufacturer built, inspected and UL approved device or product so therefore it will never pass any safety inspection.
I am not saying what you did is wrong or rubbish, in fact you have all your bases covered and you are happy so it is all good. I'm just saying it's not official and all inspectors care about is covering their arse with someone else's approved documentation.

Because it is not a manufacturer built, inspected and UL approved device or product so therefore it will never pass any safety inspection.
I am not saying what you did is wrong or rubbish, in fact you have all your bases covered and you are happy so it is all good. I'm just saying it's not official and all inspectors care about is covering their arse with someone else's approved documentation.
My system is designed completely non-grid-interactive (like a "generator" solution with a manual - open transition type - transfer switch). I have the design approval from Unisource Energy for my DIY "generator" solution and I also have the building permit from the city for my DIY "solar generator" solution design with optional AC-in grid battery charging (no energy will feed back to the grid).

By end of the year, I hope I will have been finished all the remaining installation steps (there are still no PV modules installed because it's still too hot here to work on the roof). Than I have to schedule the inspection from the cities building department. I hope they will be tolerant because the additional, smoke detector controlled contactors, will add additional safety - independent of UL approved components. The utility company and the cities building department know that this is a 100% DIY project and approved it.

We will see how this ends...

This is the reply from KV support:

"As for remote disconnect, you can use the mid nite solar remote trip breaker, link below.

https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...rom=search&i=830cfc8141feab7db5a075d478c58c3a"

I spoke to Mid Nite support about this product, and they were aware that this could be used with the KV HAB.

My installer is familiar with this, but wanted to know whether it would work with the emergency stop button - Mid Nite confirmed it could be. This is what they said:

- It has a large handle which sticks out; use that to turn on or off.
- Two small wires come out of the back; hook up a signal to it, to trip the breaker.
- 12V is needed to trip the breaker.
- When I asked about the exact connection details for the stop button, they mentioned something about a pulse signal with a certain millisecond rate to trigger the on/ off.

Would be nice to get some comments from people who know about this setup.

Use a 48v to 12v volt converter on the inverter side of the breaker. Connect the 12volt output in series with a NO contact on the Emergency stop switch, and the remote trip wires on the breaker. This will make it so when the estop is pressed 12v from the 48v to 12v converter will flow to the remote trip on the breaker, causing it to open.

Yay! when you get a chance can you share what changes or requirements if any were required?
Nothing beyond this emergency stop button. Everything else was approved as-is. This was the only thing not mentioned in the permit which came at the last minute. The Sol Ark was even wide open for that last connection to the emergency stop when the inspector came.

Back