diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 50am DC-2-DC charger.

JayR

I have an Hymer Axion RV that has a battery bank of 2 lithium and 1 AGM battery. It's equipped with a second alternator for charging these batteries. I am considering removing the 2nd alternator and replacing it with DC-2-DC charger. Is it possible to configure this charger to charge both types of batteries? TIA

Thanks for replying. I already contacted Renogy and their tech guy wasn't much help stating that you have to choose either or.

I am a total novice to this area and learning as I go. I was hoping someone could confirm if I configure the DC charger for lithium batteries would this work for the AGM, knowing that AGM is a 3 stage charging cycle while lithium lacks the float stage.

I do have 200w solar, 2 200ah lithiums and 100ah AGM. I also have the ability to turn the lithiums off if needed and often do when fully charged and run fridge off the AGM while driving.

But I too would not want to try to charge an SLA (flooded) using a lithium charge profile.
The lithium chemistry not only lacks a float stage, compared to an SLA but it also can absorb a ton more energy than an SLA.
You must use a charger that can provide the output specific to the chemistry you are using. There are some AC-DC chargers that can be tailored to meet you need but they are extremely expensive. I'm not sure if there is an alternator / charge controller that will do that too.

Thanks for the comment CodeBilly. I think I might have found the answer to my problem. I found a DC Charger KISAE DMT1250 that allows you to charge different type batteries.

"The Abso chargers have an isolated charging design whereby bank one is separate from bank two and three, allowing you to do a “priority” charge on your main battery and be up and running again faster. Also, battery bank one can be programmed with a different charge algorithm over banks two and three." These chargers will also charge multiple battery chemistries simultaneously.

I am going to research this further..

Back