diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC DC Charger w/ MPPT

Will, can you show where and how the inexpensive battery monitor you suggested would be wired into this system?

I have all the components you list but I’m using Bogart controller and Bogart Trimetric monitor currently in a 20’ toy hauler.

would like to go Dc to Dc from town vehicle and upgrade to MPPT

thanks for all you do for us off grid folks

This RING unit looks interesting. But expensive shipping

$232.73
+ $171.96 Shipping

This is a dumb, ignorant question because I'm a dumb, ignorant beginner. But... Why could something like this not be used between two independent, different-chemistry battery-banks on a home solar system to keep both charged at different levels suited to each chemistry?

For different chemistry or different age batteries, you might simply use two charge controllers. One for each battery.

The issue I see is that at some point, those different chemistry batteries will need to be combined to feed your electrical needs. Unless the batteries are independently connected to different feeds.

if they need to be connected together, diodes can be used do they don’t back

For different chemistry or different age batteries, you might simply use two charge controllers. One for each battery.

The issue I see is that at some point, those different chemistry batteries will need to be combined to feed your electrical needs. Unless the batteries are independently connected to different feeds.

if they need to be connected together, diodes can be used do they don’t back

I can decouple the draws by using two inverters, or more likely by switching a single one back and forth. That's not a problem. But I'm only going to ever have one solar panel array on my home for complicated reasons I'm not going into here, and I'm also not going to grid-tie due to prohibitive professional installation costs. On good days this array produces considerably more power than I need, and I happen to already have a sizeable spare different-chemistry battery bank I can dump it into for storage against bad days instead of just wasting it all. I know nothing of electronics; is there an off-the-shelf "isolator" that I can buy to perform this function? Or, more on-topic, is this Renogy device that's the basis of this thread useful for this purpose? Thank you!

i been using one of these for the past 2 years with no issues, the main starter batteries are 24v its a dc-dc and mppt too.
house in the back is 12v. the have settings for lifepo4. take any voltage upto 50v an charge only 12v banks at upto 30amps
https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RSCDC30
I have one of these as well it had been on long term test connected to 400W of Solar in my Crafter for the past year.
I recently disconnected the split charge system in my other van a Sprinter and fitted this in place of an Epever tracer because the Sprinter has a semi smart alternator (only goes up to 14v) and Ihad noticed the batteries were never getting to 100% SOC.

It is presently connected to a single 275W panel with a Vcc of 39v.
The Rings Mppt is doing something unusual i.e. I have not seen it happen before, the Solar input voltage often drops to 10V when it overcast, i.e. typical November Weather in the UK! That behaviour is quite weird!

As and aside, I wish this thing had some kind of remote display I fitted it way to low to see the screen properly!

Back on topic....
I have recently received a Renogy DCS50 for a clients van.
It arrived yesterday and on opening the box I noticed that unique burnt electronic components type of smell!
I plugged it in today to a couple of batteries and it works ok although I haven't tested the solar input yet.

For those of you that have bought these did yours also stink?

It is a very noticeable smell and I may have to reassure the client there's nothing to worry about and it will dissipate over time.

I’m new to all of this, How, if at all, would this work with a Inverter/Charger so I can have shore power also. Will it matter if my van battery is AGM and the house battery is Lithium? Thanks

I have one of these as well it had been on long term test connected to 400W of Solar in my Crafter for the past year.
I recently disconnected the split charge system in my other van a Sprinter and fitted this in place of an Epever tracer because the Sprinter has a semi smart alternator (only goes up to 14v) and Ihad noticed the batteries were never getting to 100% SOC.

It is presently connected to a single 275W panel with a Vcc of 39v.
The Rings Mppt is doing something unusual i.e. I have not seen it happen before, the Solar input voltage often drops to 10V when it overcast, i.e. typical November Weather in the UK! That behaviour is quite weird!

As and aside, I wish this thing had some kind of remote display I fitted it way to low to see the screen properly!

Check the diode on the solar panel.

... not exactly, I just called and confirmed still 'out of stock'
But updated lower price (last night):

1576000715379.png
1576000522503.png

I was able to put an order through. These things must be going quick.Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 12.58.31 PM.png

I seriously wish they would make a model of this that would accept 24v panel input. It would greatly sort my project out.

I seriously wish they would make a model of this that would accept 24v panel input. It would greatly sort my project out.
100% agree. I asked them if they were planning on this and they told me they will be having one on the future as it has been requested quite a lot, But that its still not being developed. I figured for 250 bucks I would get this and get by with what I need and if an upgrade comes up in the future im not out a whole lot of coin.

100% agree. I asked them if they were planning on this and they told me they will be having one on the future as it has been requested quite a lot, But that its still not being developed. I figured for 250 bucks I would get this and get by with what I need and if an upgrade comes up in the future im not out a whole lot of coin.

I already picked up a pair of 24v 150w panels (which should be total of 600w at 12v). If I had not picked up panels already, it would be simple to just buy 12v ones.

You can have it now, even better.
Check put the RedArc BCDC1259D device.
I have used two of these devices, one 40A and one 35A model. They are sealed units that can be exposed to the outdoor elements. RedArc is a very reputable Australian Company.

View attachment 1841
Finally reviewed it! People asked me repeatedly, and I was too busy with the solar shed. For the last few days, I tested it like crazy..

And I love it! I should have tested it months ago. Works extremely well, and it's fool proof. I pushed it to every limit, and if it cut off, it would restart a few seconds later.

Dead simple and easy to install for beginners. I really wish I had one of these when I was first adding solar to my RV. Super cheap too, compared to buying a voltage sensitive dc/dc charger and 50 amp mppt. Only downside is solar input voltage is extremely low, so 12v panels need to have branch adapter.

Key features (copied and pasted from renogy):
  • Designed to charge service batteries from two DC inputs—solar panels and alternator.
  • Built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) to maximize the solar power.
  • 3-phase charging profile (Bulk, Boost, and Float) ensures your service battery will be accurately charged at the correct voltage levels to 100%.
  • Built-in Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) for easy setup with traditional alternators.
  • Compatible with smart alternators (with variable output voltage).
  • Trickle charges the starting battery via solar panels if the service battery is fully charged.
  • Isolation of the starting battery and the service battery.
  • Temperature and voltage compensation features prolong battery life and improve system performance.
  • Smart Protection Features: battery isolation, over-voltage protection, battery temperature protection, over-current protection, overheat protection, reverse current protection, solar panel and alternator reverse polarity protection.
  • Compatible with multiple battery types: AGM, GEL, Flooded, and Lithium.
  • Compact with a sturdy design, it was built tough for all conditions.

I love it so much, that I created a new solar power package on my website! Dead simple blueprint:

Click here for parts list and schematics

Back