diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC DC Charger w/ MPPT

OOPs, DCC50S, not MCC50S. Yes, you are right.
The term points on the DCC50S just barely accepted my #4 wire (limited width channel) were you able to get #2 wire to fit ?
I have interchanged MCC50S mistakenly for DCC50S in my last few posts. Sorry about this. I used the wrong term.
I went with a KISAE DMT-1250, back when people were having issues with the DCC50S. The size difference between cable and lugs is about an 1/8th of an inch. Is it really that tight in there? You could file the lug to make it narrower, but that won't change the cable diameter.

I went with a KISAE DMT-1250, back when people were having issues with the DCC50S. The size difference between cable and lugs is about an 1/8th of an inch. Is it really that tight in there? You could file the lug to make it narrower, but that won't change the cable diameter.
It's just a cable diameter thing to fit the cable in the slot provided for entry so the cover will go on. Not a lug thing. Check the pics.
How do you like the Kisea device. Can you change battery settings to your custom preferred settings with the Kisea ?

It's just a cable diameter thing to fit the cable in the slot provided for entry so the cover will go on. Not a lug thing. Check the pics.
How do you like the Kisea device. Can you change battery settings to your custom preferred settings with the Kisea ?
The difference in diameter between 2AWG and 4AWG TEMCo welding cable is 2mm or 0.082". Is the raceway for the cable that tight?
I did look at the pics, but can't tell for sure at the angles they were shot at.
If you say it won't fit, then OK.
Looking at it again, shorten the heat shrink so it ends before the short part of the raceway on the left in the pic. The heat shrink is probably adding as much to the diameter as stepping up from 4AWG to 2AWG.

Not my Circus, not my Monkeys.....

Last edited:
It was my understanding that you installed #2 wire terminated on the DCC50S device. I was wondering how that worked out for you, because my #4 wire install was just right for the space in the device. Apparently you have never installed #2 wire on a DCC50S. No Circus, no Monkeys !
The difference in diameter between 2AWG and 4AWG TEMCo welding cable is 2mm or 0.082". Is the raceway for the cable that tight?
I did look at the pics, but can't tell for sure at the angles they were shot at.
If you say it won't fit, then OK.
Looking at it again, shorten the heat shrink so it ends before the short part of the raceway on the left in the pic. The heat shrink is probably adding as much to the diameter as stepping up from 4AWG to 2AWG.

Not my Circus, not my Monkeys.....

Last edited:
@Digital DIY Make sure you thoroughly inspect them before your return period is over.

I ordered a pair of Grape 180w panels, and they really lack on quality control and final assembly. Not impressed. I returned them, picked up a pair of Newpowas and the difference is night and day. Would've loved to have supported US manufacturing, but reality is they don't deserve my money.

¿Podría usar este dispositivo con un panel solar de 400 W y 24 V en un Fiat Ducato 2016?

Sorry to have to post this, but this is how I see the DCCS50 device:
I have fiddled around with the DCC50S with BT-2 dongle long enough now to say definitely that I DO NOT RECOMMEND DCC50S to anyone.
The device with its BT2 dongle does not perform to my liking. This means I cannot live with the
-Inaccuracy of the device output current (reports a much as 4A less output than measured at 400W solar input)
-BT2 sync with app dropping out or disconnecting intermittently.
-Unsatisfactory Manual information on the device performance and setting parameters (definitions).
I wasted my money on this device and have decided to go back to the RedArc DCBC1250D device that has worked in different forms for me(25A, 40A models) in the past The RedArc dose exactly what they claim it will do. Has an excellent warranty.
Sorry to have to make this conclusion, but the Renogy is what it is. A real piece of ............

Sorry to have to post this, but this is how I see the DCCS50 device:
I have fiddled around with the DCC50S with BT-2 dongle long enough now to say definitely that I DO NOT RECOMMEND DCC50S to anyone.
The device with its BT2 dongle does not perform to my liking. This means I cannot live with the
-Inaccuracy of the device output current (reports a much as 4A less output than measured at 400W solar input)
-BT2 sync with app dropping out or disconnecting intermittently.
-Unsatisfactory Manual information on the device performance and setting parameters (definitions).
I wasted my money on this device and have decided to go back to the RedArc DCBC1250D device that has worked in different forms for me(25A, 40A models) in the past The RedArc dose exactly what they claim it will do. Has an excellent warranty.
Sorry to have to make this conclusion, but the Renogy is what it is. A real piece of ............

I hope to have a different outcome with slightly different requirements. I only really need the BT2 to configure the charging parameters. I have a Victron monitor and my BMS also provides power monitoring. Did you have experience with the DCCS50 as a charger sans the BT2? I hope it works well as a charger. I also purchased one of the progressive dynamic lithium converters before I found out it is really a power suppoly and not a charger. I think I will end up connecting it to the solar input so I can use the charging profile of the DCC50.

Good luck with your RedArc and I hope you are able to return the Renogy gear.

Louis

Do you know what this black hard rubber boot is on the cable for the remote panel? Has a bunch more cable tightly coiled inside.

Attachments

• kisae.jpg
    kisae.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
Wire stress relief at term point ?
wish I knew, just got directed not to remove it, but no reason given. Am thinking the tightly coiled cable inside has some electrical function but not smart enough to know what or how, lol!

Wire stress relief at term point, found in many devices. No electrical function, purely mechanical.

Wire stress relief at term point, found in many devices. No electrical function, purely mechanical.
But obviously a wire has two termination points and the connectors are the same plastic Ru at both ends. The documentation makes no reference to where it is intended to be placed.... I would guess at the remote end... yes?

Any ideas on how to use this device with >24V panels?
I really want to use this device in my solar+battery system, but currently have panels with a Voc of 46.4V that I would like to use because they were free! I thought about trying a simple buck converter, but read that you're not supposed to use those with solar. I'm considering selling those panels and buying lower voltage ones, but I wanted to see if there was a good alternative first.

Back