diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC DC Charger w/ MPPT

My 1st Camper Van (help please), (320 Watt solar panel)

In this Video tutorial...

Will uses this solar charge controller which is £199...

When there are solar charge controllers out there like this for £69.99...

My question is if there are cheaper options like the one below for £69.99, why go so expensive? Or is there a performance aspect i am missing?
A DC-DC/MPPT is NOT just a SCC (Solar Charge Controller) It has the combined functions of a DC to DC battery charger and a Solar Charge Controller in one device. It is not an Apple to Apple comparison.

A DC-DC/MPPT is NOT just a SCC (Solar Charge Controller) It has the combined functions of a DC to DC battery charger and a Solar Charge Controller in one device. It is not an Apple to Apple comparison.
???????????
and how does that comment fit in here, I missed something ?

Let me just prefix this by saying I am a complete novice!

I am trying to follow the schematic diagram.
But how do you connect to the starter battery... Confused.com... Starter battery meaning the vehicles original battery? If so, how do we get the wire from inside the vehicle (where the Renogy is) to the negative terminal on the vehicle battery... Help please!

???????????
and how does that comment fit in here, I missed something ?

I tried asking in the newbie forum and no-one could answer so i took a punt and asked here

Can you please answer the below

I am trying to follow the schematic diagram Will put in this post.
But how do you connect to the starter battery... Confused.com... Starter battery meaning the vehicles original battery? If so, how do we get the wire from inside the vehicle (where the Renogy is) to the negative terminal on the vehicle battery... Help please!

Do you have a friend who is into cars or car audio.
Buy them a bottle of their favorite hooch.

I tried asking in the newbie forum and no-one could answer so i took a punt and asked here

Can you please answer the below

I am trying to follow the schematic diagram Will put in this post.
Do you have a vehicle with a Positive ground?

Need to run some wire from starting battery in vehicle to rear bumper of vehicle. big wire, long ways (voltage drop). Then learn about Anderson plugs. Run wire from RV battery to tongue of RV, big wire, voltage drop. Use an Anderson power pole plug to connect these wires when the trailer is hooked up. (Usually run two wires, one for B+ and one for B-, use two pole Anderson power plug). I hope both your vehicle and trailer are - ground. They need to be the same and be - ground to use the DCC50S.

Need to run some wire from starting battery in vehicle to rear bumper of vehicle. big wire, long ways (voltage drop). Then learn about Anderson plugs. Run wire from RV battery to tongue of RV, big wire, voltage drop. Use an Anderson power pole plug to connect these wires when the trailer is hooked up. (Usually run two wires, one for B+ and one for B-, use two pole Anderson power plug). I hope both your vehicle and trailer are - ground. They need to be the same and be - ground to use the DCC50S.
In my case, if I had to buy all the parts new, I would do this. But I would use Anderson SB series connectors for it. I'm using 120A Powerpoles for my big connections to my charger, because I got them for a steal. All my small 12V connections will be Anderson PP of the 15-30-45A variety, like most of Ham Radio has switched to. My main system will be in/on my pickup, including my fridge. When/if I get a trailer, I may put a separate solar system on it and build another LFP battery, too.

But for vehicle to vehicle, I have a full set of common Tow Truck jumper cables with extra sockets and plugs. It has 30 feet of good quality 4AWG cable.

You're right Anderson SB for higher ampacity. Power Pole for up to 45A. I think. Would have to look at the catalog again to get it right.

Well, you have to choose a safe route that will not subject the wire to physical damage or excessive heat. Check out routes used by other wires between the engine compartment and inside of vehicle. In the end you have to make a hole and route the wire thru it, protect the wire from abrasion at the vehicle penn point. Seal the hole with the wire in it for water and fire/smoke/exhaust fumes. This is where a friend (mechanic, vehicle audio guy) can help you learn something in exchange for a beer. Make sure the wire you install is large enough for the amps you need to flow thru it. Check out wire gauge tables for max 2-3% voltage drop for the length of your circuit (round trip length) or when you learn more, you will be replacing the wire.

You're right Anderson SB for higher ampacity. Power Pole for up to 45A. I think. Would have to look at the catalog again to get it right.
They make PPs for the larger size, too. I have them in the 120A size for my starting and house battery connections to my DC-DC/MPPT and 75A ones for the Solar to it. I bought a bunch of pairs of the different colors for the small ones. Like, I'm using Blue/Black for my fridge. I would use Red/Black/Green in the small ones, for a circuit that used that pattern. I think I may use the Green ones with 10AWG for the "case" ground from my charger. It has 3 Negative terminals and a separate "Case" ground point. I'm making my whole setup "Modular" so I can pull the House battery and the charger out and leave plugs for all the main connections. The whole Negative/Ground side is going to be connected to one big bus bar, unless I find a good reason not to.

ETA: The Renogy this thread is about, has a common ground point for all three connections. I think I would run a large gauge cable from that to a large ground bus bar for all those connections. That way you don't have a whole bunch of cables stacked up on the charger ground point.

Last edited:
Well, you have to choose a safe route that will not subject the wire to physical damage or excessive heat. Check out routes used by other wires between the engine compartment and inside of vehicle. In the end you have to make a hole and route the wire thru it, protect the wire from abrasion at the vehicle penn point. Seal the hole with the wire in it for water and fire/smoke/exhaust fumes. This is where a friend (mechanic, vehicle audio guy) can help you learn something in exchange for a beer. Make sure the wire you install is large enough for the amps you need to flow thru it. Check out wire gauge tables for max 2-3% voltage drop for the length of your circuit (round trip length) or when you learn more, you will be replacing the wire.

Wow Thank you, your the one who deserves a beer, thanks

Question about the Renogy DC DC Charger with MPPT DCC50S. On a recent thread on the forum I read this
"it is always on a boost at 14.4, it never kicks down to a float"
Is this true???? Seems that would not be ideal for LiPo battery life.
This table from the manual for the DCC50S seems a bit vague with "--" for LI Float Voltage. What does that indicate?

1591492175750.png

Question about the Renogy DC DC Charger with MPPT DCC50S. On a recent thread on the forum I read this
This table from the manual for the DCC50S seems a bit vague with "--" for LI Float Voltage. What does that indicate?

View attachment 14833
Just a SWAG, I can set my BMS to cut off charging at 14V/3.5V, but if I had a load on the system, I think the charger would send voltage for that load. At least that sounds logical to me. But I'm not an expert on this charger.

View attachment 14833
I have had the same experience. Charges at 14.37 volts continuously. I don't think this is good for the LiFePO4 battery. So I just turn the solar off once the battery is at 100 % SOC, manually.

The unit has a serial (RS485) port so you might find it can be controlled over that. The trick will be getting info out of Renogy. Odds on this is badge engineered so they may not actually have the info.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but a little trickiness with an Arduino or similar and you may well be able to have it controlled automatically for you, ie arduino communicates with charger over serial port and watches the battery voltage. When it reaches the high water mark, turns the charger off. When it falls to some arbitrary low point it turns the charger back on. There might be other ways too such as altering the target voltages.

I have had the same experience. Charges at 14.37 volts continuously. I don't think this is good for the LiFePO4 battery. So I just turn the solar off once the battery is at 100 % SOC, manually.
If your engine is running, you'd have the same problem.

If your engine is running, you'd have the same problem.
Engine not running, starting battery isolated from Renogy device.
The unit has a serial (RS485) port so you might find it can be controlled over that. The trick will be getting info out of Renogy. Odds on this is badge engineered so they may not actually have the info.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but a little trickiness with an Arduino or similar and you may well be able to have it controlled automatically for you, ie arduino communicates with charger over serial port and watches the battery voltage. When it reaches the high water mark, turns the charger off. When it falls to some arbitrary low point it turns the charger back on. There might be other ways too such as altering the target voltages.
The device should perform this control routine.

Back