diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC DC Charger w/ MPPT

Bummer to be hearing all of this. Mine is working fine but it is disturbing. Looking at the Kisea site they want personal info just to find out where to buy one. I don't like that. SGT. Raven, how much use do you have on yours and how do you like it?

Bummer to be hearing all of this. Mine is working fine but it is disturbing. Looking at the Kisea site they want personal info just to find out where to buy one. I don't like that. SGT. Raven, how much use do you have on yours and how do you like it?
I still don't have it installed in my vehicle. I've only played around with it on my test bench.
If you're in the US, I bought mine from here. Got good and fast service from them.

https://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-DMT1250-Abso-50A-DC-DC-Battery-Charger-p/dmt1250.htm

Welp, guess I'll have to use my Renogy until it blows. A couple more questions: Looks like the input/output terminals are screw in types, not lugs. that is too bad. But will they fit AWG4? And what is the float voltage for LFP?

Thanks!

Welp, guess I'll have to use my Renogy until it blows. A couple more questions: Looks like the input/output terminals are screw in types, not lugs. that is too bad. But will they fit AWG4? And what is the float voltage for LFP?

Thanks!
Which unit are you asking about?

what is the equivalent victron unit?
Does it also have pv capability?
Does it charge the starter battery when the house batteries are full?
What is the price difference?

Victron doesn't have an all in one in one unit (in my price point anyway).

I got the Smartsolar 75/10 and Orion DC/DC 12-12/30 as my chargers. Between the two of them they can pump 35A into my DIY Litihum. A little less output than Renogy had, in theory, but more in real world use.

Price difference was minimal. Renogy = $270, with Bluetooth it's $300.

Victron was $108 and $220 respectively with a much much more robust and integrated ecosystem.

The victron was extremely easy to configure and unless you get the Renogy Bluetooth add on you cannot control any parameters of your charging, it's straight presets

Thanks!

This is a bit of a downside, agreed. The screw terminal are more substantial than they appear

My solar takes 10awg and the dc-dc takes 6awg. I had mostly 4awg run so I stepped down to 6 and it's less than a 6" run from the fuse to charger And charger to battery.

Victron doesn't have an all in one in one unit (in my price point anyway).

The renogy dcc50s is not an all in one.
An all in one is an inverter/charger/transfer switch/solar charge controller.
I might have to look at the Victron orion.

This is an all in one unit !
RedArc has excellent customer service and Warranty.

This is an all in one unit !
RedArc has excellent customer service and Warranty.

Looks good but the price is in a whole other league.

Looks good but the price is in a whole other league.
Yes, There a budget for every purpose. If I were a full timer, I'd consider spending more. This system is for a vehicle I will boondock in for a few weeks a year at most. I went for this renogy unit because of Will's recommendation. If it doesn't cut the mustard I'll experiment with something else. Half the fun for me is putting stuff together and seeing how it works.

There is a BT2 device to use with the DCC50S Remogy dc-dc + solar controller. There is a bluetooth app (Renogy BT app) that allows you to see the DCC50S operation, settings and data on your phone. Here's some images displayed when you view the ad for the app from your phone app store:

1.jpg2.jpg
3.jpg
Looks like I might be able to set a lithium float voltage of 13.6 volts. Looks like the default settings for Battery Type Li has 14.4 v default setting for Equalize, Boost and Float. Not good in my opinion. YMMV... Just guessing here, do not have the Renogy BT-2 device yet to play with.

4.jpg5.jpg

Last edited:
The BT connectivity holds out a bit of hope that the LiPo float voltage can be adjusted. We are full time in a Truck camper and the Renoy made our upgrade to lithium exponentially simpler for a number of reasons. BUT if the float voltage is not correct or cant be adjusted its a dealbreaker for us.

There is a BT2 device to use with the DCC50S Remogy dc-dc + solar controller. There is a bluetooth app (Renogy BT app) that allows you to see the DCC50S operation, settings and data on your phone. Here's some images displayed when you view the ad for the app from your phone app store:

Looks like I might be able to set a lithium float voltage of 13.6 volts. Looks like the default settings for Battery Type Li has 14.4 v default setting for Equalize, Boost and Float. Not good in my opinion. YMMV... Just guessing here, do not have the Renogy BT-2 device yet to play with.

Randy, when I asked Renogy a couple of months ago they said it didn't work with the DCC50S. On the website it does say that it works with the Dc to DC chargers but doesn't give specific models. Do you have a BT-2 working with a DCC50s? If so I would order one right this minute. I will shoot Renogy an email and ask.

Randy, when I asked Renogy a couple of months ago they said it didn't work with the DCC50S. On the website it does say that it works with the Dc to DC chargers but doesn't give specific models. Do you have a BT-2 working with a DCC50s? If so I would order one right this minute. I will shoot Renogy an email and ask.
Ordered one thru amazon, they shipped a BT-1, the previous model that's been out a while that works with the dc-dc chargers, but not Renogy DCC50S. What a disappointment in Amazon/Renogy warehouse.
Am requesting a Return for Refund. Ordered a BT-2 from Ebay today. Turns out same price, promised delivery date is better than amazons. We'll see what happens next.
Here's the info from Renogy on the BT-2:
" Meet the Renogy BT-2 Bluetooth Module! Unlike the BT-1, this new generation of Bluetooth Module is compatible with a variety of products, including Renogy solar charge controllers, smart lithium batteries, inverters, and DC-DC MPPT battery chargers. Connect the BT-2 to the component's RJ45 communication port to wirelessly check and adjust your system's parameters through the DC Home App (available in both the App Store and Google Play)."
Here's some more info:

Last edited:
Looking at the Renogy site for that, it had a pic of the compatible devices and the DCC50S didn't appear to be in that pic.

i'm fairly new to mobile DC power. my application is a VW Vanagon Westy and the DCC50S is very attractive. this is for weekend trips through out the year and the occasional 4-5 day road trip - 7 or 8 trips a year. i have no need for an inverter and the single largest power consumer is a Dometic CRX-50 12VDC fridge, and then the bumpin sound system.

i have ordered the "Overkill" BMS that Will is hot for with the blue tooth adapter for my 4 cell 150Ah LiFePo4 "house" battery. i have no solar at the moment, and it will have to wait until the wallet is not so sad, but the plan there is to add a 100W mono suitcase type panel. the only missing link here is charging via 110VAC when that is available at camp and the sun no shine. it adds more cost, but a fully integrated unit that does AC to DC, DC to DC, and MPPPT in the $400 range would have a line of people holding cash in hand, including me.

the lack of a screen on the DCC50S is annoying, but adding the BT-2 and yet another app on a smartphone... i believe i can manage the DC2DC and LiFePo4 battery in a reasonable manner using the two apps.

i'm ready to pull the trigger on the DCC50S and BT-2... is there something better suited to my application and use case? seems i'm the ideal customer of the DCC50S.

i'm ready to pull the trigger on the DCC50S and BT-2... is there something better suited to my application and use case? seems i'm the ideal customer of the DCC50S.
Here's the deluxe solution, just save your money or take out a loan.
The Manager30 Battery Management System with Lithium Profile
Item # 331-BMS1230S2-NA
Video:

Last edited:
Back