diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC DC Charger w/ MPPT

Looking at the Renogy site for that, it had a pic of the compatible devices and the DCC50S didn't appear to be in that pic.
From above:
Here's the info from Renogy on the BT-2:
" Meet the Renogy BT-2 Bluetooth Module! Unlike the BT-1, this new generation of Bluetooth Module is compatible with a variety of products, including Renogy solar charge controllers, smart lithium batteries, inverters, and DC-DC MPPT battery chargers. Connect the BT-2 to the component's RJ45 communication port to wirelessly check and adjust your system's parameters through the DC Home App (available in both the App Store and Google Play)."
Here's some more info:

Haha plug it in!

I asked about availability for the BT-2 and the screen for the battery in the UK and they said August. They confirmed the BT-2 would work with the Smart Lithium battery and the DCC50S.

I then got in touch with Renogy as they had the RS485 Modbus mappings that the RJ45 port communicate on. I asked for the mappings for the Smart Lithium battery but they wouldnt give them out.

I got my BT-2. Hooked right up to the DCC50S. You do have to enter a password to change settings. So, what is the best voltage setting for the boost voltage?

The DC-DC charger doesn't care what the starter battery chemistry is. The House battery has to be one that the DCC50S has a charging profile for. It can be a SLA, GEL, FLD or Li chemistry battery.

Put a voltmeter on the alternator or starting battery. Start the truck and let it run. If the voltage settles at about 13.2 v or higher after recharging the battery after the start load, its a standard alternator; If it recharges the battery then voltage drops to about 12 v, its a smart alternator. Seems that with some google effort, looking at vehicle specs, maintenance processes, you should be able to figure it out. But the volt meter will tell the tale. You can hook it up either way and see how it works when you get it. A volt meter is your tool of choice for installing the device anyhow.
Also if your starting battery positive cable has a blocky looking thing for a batt terminal cable clamp, rather than a simple battery terminal cable clamp... you probably have a smart alternator...BUT the best technical answer is described above by using a voltmeter.

I got my BT-2. Hooked right up to the DCC50S. You do have to enter a password to change settings. So, what is the best voltage setting for the boost voltage?
The best settings are battery chemistry and Mfgr dependent. Start by checking the battery mfg specs for charging and maintaining the battery you use.

I have had a BT-2 for one day now. It is in place, with the DCC50S as the host and 300ah 12v LiFePO4 battery. Played with it a little. there is a 'Li' battery charging setting, but it does not have the float charge voltage I want to use and does not allow the user to change many of the settings. So I am pursuing the 'User' battery settings. It appears that the user battery settings allow user to specify all settings. Have it set to the parameters I think will work for me, now to let it run for a solar day and see if it gets to float battery voltage setting. There are settings for low battery voltage alarm, cutout and reset points. These have nothing to do with a solar controller, so I guess they might be used with other BT2 host devices? I only have one 210 W solar panel in place now, the other two are still on the ground, waiting to get installed. Been really lazy and under motivated lately for some reason.
Still have not received RTS paper to return the BT1 sent to me by Amazon when I ordered a BT2. Real discouraging. Got the one I have now from Ebay, mail from Canada Renogy, shorter shipping time than Amazon, no shipping cost.

Last edited:
I will move this discussion to "
Renogy DCC50S with Renogy BT-2
post.

Todays efforts:
Got and started using the BT-2 with a Regogy DCC50S yesterday. Played with the battery profiles. Settled on USER profile for my LiFePO4 battery. Was able to change float voltage to 13.6, where I like it to be.
Today I went out with the same iPhone and Renogy BT app. The Bluetooth would not connect. Just showed Connection status: Connecting on the BT-2, showed connected on the iPhone. Removed and reinstalled the app.Rebooted the phone. Isolated the DCC50S and hooked it back up. Cycled the solar panels, discharged and recharged the batteries down to float voltage level. No go, no Bluetooth connected state in BT-2, no solar data, no device data. Used Renogy site and opened a ticket on the problem (what an ordeal).
Anyone else had this experience. Any suggestions? I'm going to use the tablet to try and connect to the BT-2 device next. Same app.
PLEASE SEND ALL REPLIES THRU THE OTHER POST ITEMIZED ABOVE.

Is this a good place to get the cables for my system please?
"COVID-19: We are open and accepting orders for delivery within the UK, but our checkout is closed from 12pm Friday to 9am Saturday. We are currently not offering UK next-day or international shipping services. For full information on how COVID-19 is impacting ordering and deliveries, please click here. "
As long you are withing the UK it should be fine.
The folks here from the other side of the pond seem to like them.
I know @tictag does.

Hows it working out for you now ?

I have been at work and haven't had a chance to play with it. I hadn't seen the user profile option, I am going to mess with that today. I'm glad because it wasn't letting me set the float voltage which is what I really wanted.

The fortune battery specs say 14.6 for the absorb/boost voltage, is that a little hot?

The fortune battery specs say 14.6 for the absorb/boost voltage, is that a little hot?
I posted my settings above. I used 13.8 for float, 13.6 is considered 100% SOC for my battery. Wanted to have Boost Voltage Return set to 13.6 so batt is as close to 100 SOC as possible when the sun sets, even if I have been using a little dc power after initially charging to 100 SOC daily.
I used 14.4 for Boost setting. Then set HV disconnect at 14.6 to insure battery does not get exposed to any greater voltage than that. There are some time delay or duration involved in these setting I think, I believe that the battery will attain 100% SOS at 14.4 bulk as well as at 14.4 or 14.6. There might a be 'time to full charge' variances dependent on boost voltage setting point.

So, I just went out there and I still can't find a "user profile". It won't let me change the float voltage, which is the one parameter I really want to change. Any idea where to find it, I am using the Android app.

So, I just went out there and I still can't find a "user profile". It won't let me change the float voltage, which is the one parameter I really want to change. Any idea where to find it, I am using the Android app.
I don't know about android, but The iPhone app Settings are on the settings page (little gear symbol on bottom of screen takes you there. Then select the 'Battery' button (second row of buttons on top of screen). Then select the read button (top row of buttons). Under General Parameters (near top of screen) there is 'System Voltage' and 'Battery Type'. Select the battery type right below the heading 'Battery Type', its blue on the iPhone. It will ask please input password, select confirm and provide password (that sequence of odd numbers up to 9 the 0 123). select confirm again. It will respond 'Pass Word Correct'.
Now select battery type again, a drop down list of types will appear. Select the type you want to view/refine (USER).
I can do all this at my desk, out of range of the BT-2 bluetooth, Device disconnected.
From there you can make changes to the list of 'USER' settings.
Then go out and get in range of the BT-2, let things connect, and save those settings to the DCC50S device.

Last edited:
That change is what drove me to get the BT-2, I did not like the 14.4 float that seems to be the 'LI' profile setting, that came stock in the DCC50S.
Wow way to hook the up-sale Renogy. ?‍♂️

Back