diy solar

diy solar

Orion xs dc/dc charger?

Meeko

Hello everyone. I was in the process of connecting our new DC-to-DC charger, the Orion xs Smart 12/12-50A. One of the advertised features was its compatibility with 4 AWG (25 mm²) cables. However, I encountered a challenge when attempting to insert all the copper strands into the designated hole due to the tight fit.

The ferrule crimping tool we acquired creates a square crimp, which is incompatible with the hole. We experimented with a 6 AWG ferrule, but it was still too large to fit. I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this issue.

Additionally, I would like to clarify whether the settings on the Orion-xs, should be identical to those on our Victron solar controller. While I assume they should be the same, I understand the potential consequences of making assumptions. I would appreciate any guidance or advice on this matter. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
4ga is severely oversized for 30amps. Whenever I oversize like that I just trim the finely stranded wires with a knife on one side.

Indeed, utilizing a higher amperage rating is preferable in this scenario. Considering the 50 amp DC to DC conversion and the 25 feet run, I opted for 4 AWG cables. The price difference between 4 AWG and 6 AWG was negligible.

Indeed, utilizing a higher amperage rating is preferable in this scenario. Considering the 50 amp DC to DC conversion and the 25 feet run, I opted for 4 AWG cables. The price difference between 4 AWG and 6 AWG was negligible.
Isn't that a 30 amp DC-DC charger, though? Maybe I am missing something.

Does your 4 AWG fit w/out a ferrule? I know this can become an endless internet argument but I don't use ferrules with Victron connectors and I believe Victron supports both methods.

I just ordered an Orion XS. I like that I can adjust the input current. Will set it to 30A and see what comes out the other side. I like it because it can now play with my Cerbo GX, although I am out of VE.Direct slots on the Cerbo so will have to use a USB slot.

Back