diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC-DC charger with MPPT

Camginger

Hi. I just bought a Renogy DC-DC charger (it is the 50 amp charger) with MPPT. It says that the max PV for this charger is 25 volts. My pannels are 24 vots, but is says in the back of my solar pannels 29.4 volts (VPM 29.4v). Will this charger be able to charge my batteries with my pannels? Or it will NOT work, or even f**k my new charger... I don't want to burn (or else) my new charger... Tks. to you guys.

It will not work and may f**k your new charger.

Voc must be under 25V AND there must be sufficient margin for cold temperatures. This means that the panel Voc must be under 22V depending on your climate.

I suspect you have 60 cell panels with a Voc around 35-36V.

By the way, it is not too clear on the Renogy website about this. Or maybe I just didn't see the proper info about this.

You want to use the voc numbers on the panels adjusted for lowest recorded temperatures fore your area
voltage will go even higher in cold temperatures

look at the victron line of scc they have dropped in price and are better quality than most of the Chinese models

Yes, the Voc is exactly 36.7v. You are right. So does that mean that I have to get a new solar controler wich will work with my pannels?

I live in Quebec... So we do have cold weather, some times it's -25 Celsius here...

I've been reading about solar energy for years and I still discover so many things that I didn't catch or understood...

you need to decide how your panel layout is going to be done like how many series or parallel ect then size the scc with known specs including adjustments for temperature, midnight and victron have a site for scc sizing which will help you

You want to use the voc numbers on the panels adjusted for lowest recorded temperatures fore your area
voltage will go even higher in cold temperatures

look at the victron line of scc they have dropped in price and are better quality than most of the Chinese models
Tks for your answer. What does
''scc'' means?

Update: I returned this DC-DC charger. I wasn't sure if it would damage my alternator... Problem solved, at least, this problem :)

I finally rid myself of most of my Renogy gear, I think you dodged a bullet there. All my renogy gear gave me headaches.

I second a Victron Smartsolar charge controller. For example their 100/30 model can accept up to 100V input from the panels and output a max of 30A. Price is now $123 in the states, it was $209 when I bought it in September. Perhaps someone with Canadian connections can help you find a dealer there.

Victron also has DC-DC chargers. Here’sa good video of a guy who started with a Renogy DC-DC charger and then switched to a Victron one:

Back