diy solar

diy solar

Renogy DC50S max panel VOC

Fleaspirit

Hello how are you all ?
My apologies if there is already another thread discussing this topic , I literally found the forum just now .
I wish to install solar panels to run the DC50S , the max VOC is 25 . Renogy have told me that I shouldn't install panels which have a greater VOC than 21.5, they say if its higher the panel has a possiblity of surgeing higher than 25 VOC .
Do you have experience using the DC50S , have you tried using panels with a slighty higher VOC 23.5 for example , will 23.5 have the potential to exceed the limit and does the DC50S have a voltage protection installed if the was a surge of voltage ?
It would be great to hear about other user experience .
Thankyou , have a great day

It has to do with lower temperatures causing Voc to increase.

The panel you're considering should have a Voc temperature coefficient in the datasheet. What is that value?

What is the coldest temperature you expect the solar panel to experience?

I wish to install solar panels to run the DC50S
The DC50S makes for a very poor solar charger. I think there are limitations on not being able to charge both solar and from alternator at the same time.

If i were you, i would get as much solar as you can fit on your roof and get a good dedicated solar charger. If you plan to get less that 200W of solar
(200W / 14V charging = 14.28A charging) i recommend a Victron 75/15.
It accepts 75V from solar and charges up to 15A.

If you are planning on getting less than 500W of solar, i recommend the Victron 100/30. It accepts up to 100V from solar and charges up to 30A.

Super easy to install, setup and monitor with the bluetooth app (get the Smart solar, not the Blue solar).

This is the cadillac solution, extremely easy with the apps, 5 year warranty... I have the 100/30 for 330W of solar and its been a joy for 3 years of flawless service.

Do you have experience using the DC50S , have you tried using panels with a slighty higher VOC 23.5 for example

If you are dedicated to the idea of a combination DC-DC charger and higher-Voc panels the Redarc has a 30Voc input limit IIRC, and Kisae 50v. If you already own the DCC50S I'd limit my search to panels that meet Renogy's recommendations.

If you already own the DCC50S I'd limit my search to panels that meet Renogy's recommendations.
Agreed.

But if this means installing "not as much solar as you need/want" then i'd strongly consider a dedicated solar charger.

will 23.5 have the potential to exceed the limit and does the DC50S have a voltage protection installed if the was a surge of voltage ?
I meant to follow up with this in my earlier post.
The easy answer is no, exceeding the max input voltage is VERY bad.

The 23.5Voc is rated at 25C (75F).
The temp coefficient, which specifies how voltage changes due to temperature, is usually around .35% per degree C.

So if temp drops 20C, to 5C (41F), the voltage increased by:

20 deg x .0035 x 23.5V = 1.645V increase (to 25.145V)

If both sources are available, 25A max from each source. If only one source is available, 50A from that source.
Thanks! I was a bit off but knew there was some limitation...

Hello , thanks for the input , you have all verified exactly what I suspected , the DC50S is a very handy box with restrictions , the only frustration I have is the lack of panel variety . luckily I won't need to build an oversized power bank and will only use a Renogy 200Ah lithium battery with 2000W inverter for now . Maybe in the future boxes like the DC50S will get better at handling high voltage and amps etc . Thankyou have a great day , live the dream!

There are plenty of 12v panels that are push out around 19-20v. Yes, the DC50S has it's limitations but doesn't everything have specs you should follow? The product is not for everyone, but that is why you research and find out if this product is worth it for your project. Not many MPPT units can charge your batteries with an alternator. Sure, you could get another product, but that adds to complications.

Not suggesting the Renogy product is for everyone or even if it's good, but for what it was designed to do, I think it can fit the bill for some people's projects.

Hello Butcher , I'm currently based in France , can you or other solar fan's possibly recommend some panel sellers in Europe who may have a choice of panels that push the recommended VOC of 19-20v?

Nothing I can help with. I'm probably newer than most folks here.

Hello Butcher , I'm currently based in France , can you or other solar fan's possibly recommend some panel sellers in Europe who may have a choice of panels that push the recommended VOC of 19-20v?
You should start a new thread with a title that may catch someones attention:
"Looking for solar panels in France"

The chance of someone seeing your request buried in this thread about a Renogy DCS50 is pretty low.

Back