diy solar

diy solar

Renogy ip67 dc to dc 50A w mppt question re wire size

jhorton

So I have this charger and it comes wired with 10awg wires and has wire size suggestions that don't match in their manual vs the online manual which is shown below. My concern is the 4awg wire coming from the battery to the fuse is fine but then that goes to 10awg into the charger and that is getting warm with pushing 49amps for 5min or so. How warm is too warm? Clearly 10awg isn't rated for 50amps.... should I just trust it since renogy built it like this? Any input is welcome. Also, it does not seem I can swap these 10awg wires as they are mounted internal.

IMG_4461.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4464.PNG
    IMG_4464.PNG
    300.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4465.PNG
    IMG_4465.PNG
    229.2 KB · Views: 1
Manufacturers do this all the time, but still always feels on the sketchy side to me.

To meet NEC we have to derate 10AWG wire to 22 A for continuous use (3 hours or more) but for intermittent use we can still only go up to 30 A.

I’ve ran an experiment running 60 amps on several types of 10AWG wire. It was surprising how much cooler the higher quality marine grade stayed vs residential grade Romex type of wire that your house has.

How warm? If you can keep your hand on that’s probably OK but I’d still want to inspect any connections and the condition of the wire frequently.

Manufacturers do this all the time, but still always feels on the sketchy side to me.

To meet NEC we have to derate 10AWG wire to 22 A for continuous use (3 hours or more) but for intermittent use we can still only go up to 30 A.

I’ve ran an experiment running 60 amps on several types of 10AWG wire. It was surprising how much cooler the higher quality marine grade stayed vs residential grade Romex type of wire that your house has.

How warm? If you can keep your hand on that’s probably OK but I’d still want to inspect any connections and the condition of the wire frequently.
awesome thanks! I did talk to the techs at renogy and they stated their engineers tested it to 55amps just fine. When it comes to burning down my truck, I'd rather not "test" lol. To your point on use duration, even if my battery was empty, it wouldn't take more than an hour or so to charge so I suppose I can see how the 10awg is ok.

diy solar

diy solar
Back