diy solar

diy solar

Renogy Wanderer over voltage

Jhig

Hi everyone,

I’m seeing some strange behavior with my renogy wanderer 30a charge controller hooked up to my renogy 100ah lithium battery.

I had a PV over voltage error on the charge controller this morning when my battery entered boost charging. I also noticed that my heater was throwing an over voltage error code that happens when voltage exceeds 14.8v.

I hooked up a multimeter to my battery and connected the solar panels and was getting voltage around 14-14.6v at my battery. But every so often I would see the voltage spike above 14.6. I even saw it get up to 20v at one point.

Is this an issue with the battery or charge controller? I’m thinking charge controller and have seen similar posts with people having issues with renogy charge controllers but hoping to get some insight.

I tried working with renogy support but they were absolutely worthless.

Thanks in advance!

What you describe is consistent with BMS overvoltage protection. Battery prohibits charge, and the controller briefly spikes before it can clamp down on the voltage.

Your LFP battery is likely slightly out of balance. Charging to 14.6V requires that cell balance be almost perfect.

Recommend you reduce boost voltage to 14.4V with a boost duration of 30 minutes.

Hi everyone,

I’m seeing some strange behavior with my renogy wanderer 30a charge controller hooked up to my renogy 100ah lithium battery.

I had a PV over voltage error on the charge controller this morning when my battery entered boost charging. I also noticed that my heater was throwing an over voltage error code that happens when voltage exceeds 14.8v.

I hooked up a multimeter to my battery and connected the solar panels and was getting voltage around 14-14.6v at my battery. But every so often I would see the voltage spike above 14.6. I even saw it get up to 20v at one point.

Is this an issue with the battery or charge controller? I’m thinking charge controller and have seen similar posts with people having issues with renogy charge controllers but hoping to get some insight.

I tried working with renogy support but they were absolutely worthless.

Thanks in advance!
You say you see "PV over Voltage error", correct? error code 'E10', not Battery over Voltage Error 'E2', correct?
Is this new setup?
What is the spec of the panels and how are they wired up and what is the Voc?

1674548762815.png
1674548812587.png

You say you see "PV over Voltage error", correct? error code 'E10', not Battery over Voltage Error 'E2', correct?
Is this new setup?
What is the spec of the panels and how are they wired up and what is the Voc?

View attachment 131270
View attachment 131271
I was definitely seeing E10, but not sure how accurate that is. From my experience so far, the renogy error codes don’t seem too helpful.

This is a brand new setup. I have a single 100W Renogy solar panel. VOC is 24.3v. That is wired to a Wanderer Li 30a charge controller and a 100ah lithium battery.

This is almost certainly BMS over-voltage protection resulting in MPPT voltage spike. Again, try reducing boost to 14.4 and 30 minutes
Ok, thanks! I’ll see if I can change the settings. Not sure that charge controller will allow me to update it, but I’ll try. It’s a PWM charge controller by the way.

Look at the section below it. BMS manages at the cell level, not just the battery level. It's triggering over voltage protection because one of the four cells is above 3.7V.

By lowering the absorption to 14.2V, you should delay or avoid the condition.

Back