diy solar

diy solar

Repair a Relion 50aH LIFEPO4

simeikle

Repair a Relion 50aH LIFEPO4?
Had the above battery sitting in my inflatable tender, connected to a Victron MPPT controller, in turn charged by a small 50 Watt solar panel.
Left in boat, on dock. Forgot to take out the boat's bung. After a rainstorm the controller & battery were flooded. Victron controller was toast. Relion battery will no longer take a charge, assuming it's BMS is also toast.
Is there any point in dismantling the battery and testing the cells to see if they are still functioning; replacing the BMS? If yes any advice would be greatly appreciated please?
Cheers

I would tear it down as soon as possible and separate the BMS from the cells and check the individual cell voltages.

I like to fix things, so I would tear it down. If the cells were discharged too low, then they may be no good. Tear down video.

Most importantly....don't hit it and forget it.....

We like to see how things turned out in exchange for assistance (y)

I like to fix things, so I would tear it down. If the cells were discharged too low, then they may be no good. Tear down video.
thanks! Just watched your tear down vid - perfect!
Once opened up should I be measuring the individual cells or the banks? What voltage am I looking for as a minimum? If the cells are currently dead can I try charging them by bypassing the BMS, or is that asking for catastrophic trouble?
Cheers

You want to measure individual cells

2.5v is rock bottom minimum

If they were mine, I would try anything and everything....after donning protective eyewear

Even if you get 2.0v....try to charge them. Some capacity is better than no capacity

OK so partially torn down. 1 if not both of the positive cables appear to have detached due to corrosion - how "terminal" is this?

You want to measure individual cells

2.5v is rock bottom minimum

If they were mine, I would try anything and everything....after donning protective eyewear

Even if you get 2.0v....try to charge them. Some capacity is better than no capacity
Thx

OK so partially torn down. 1 if not both of the positive cables appear to have detached due to corrosion - how "terminal" is this?

Remove all cables for now. You primary concern is the cells themselves.
You are also going to disconnect the bus bars connecting the cells

I don't know the details but there are recovery methods for cells that have self discharged and might be brought back to a functional state. I guess it depends on how they discharged. If in salt water, most likely not good. If very slowly (by fresh water contact) may be recoverable. Just try and see.

I don't know the details but there are recovery methods for cells that have self discharged and might be brought back to a functional state. I guess it depends on how they discharged. If in salt water, most likely not good. If very slowly (by fresh water contact) may be recoverable. Just try and see.
Rain water! I'll look into recovery options.
Cheers

Rain water! I'll look into recovery options.
Cheers
I think I recall people use a very low current, like a trickle charge so to not make any heat at all but let the voltage come up ever so slowly. If the voltage gets up to normal range, then more amps but still taking it easy, looking for any signs of odd behavior.

Back