diy solar

diy solar

Research into extending lithium battery life

BigBrosMo

Just read this linked article on Reddit. Seems like an interesting discovery. Basically it says that putting a high discharge for a short time on a full battery can extend the life of it up to 30%. The "islands" of lithium that form after years of cycling, partially responsible for the loss of battery life, can be drawn back to the anode and therefore back into connectivity.

Lots of questions, but I wonder if we won't be able to see this start being implemented somehow into a charge controller profile!

..."Researchers from SLAC and Stanford discovered that they could drive the island’s growth in the direction of the anode by adding a brief, high-current discharging step right after the battery charges. Reconnecting the island to the anode increased the lifetime of their lithium-ion test cell by nearly 30%."

I wonder the C-Rate discharge, and how deep (DoD)...

Interesting find, I wonder if it is really this simple or if there are any other caveats involved. They always make these research articles sound so great at first until we find something is not so simple as that hehe.

Anyways, thanks for sharing it!

Interesting find, I wonder if it is really this simple or if there are any other caveats involved. They always make these research articles sound so great at first until we find something is not so simple as that hehe.
Looks like we would have to go to a library that subscribes to Nature, and read it there. Online I can only find a summary.
Liu, F., Xu, R., Wu, Y. et al. (2021) “Dynamic spatial progression of isolated lithium during battery operations.” Nature 600, 659–663

I wonder the C-Rate discharge, and how deep (DoD)...

And if it addresses a common failure mode in the sub-C rates we typically run. If the island problem is associated more with high C rates the solution might be of limited applicability here.

Interesting that it is almost reverse of LA. Don't desulfators for LA pulse charge current in attempt to shed deposits from plates and re-emulsify them? Almost fell for that marketing until I automated equalization monthly.

Would imagine it would have to be at least 1C and a burst, second or less, to cause lithium movement. Like a Shockwave to cause movement. More bullet vs gell block than repetitive jackhammer desulfator.

I wonder if this explains why the batteries I abuse for my e-vape pen, green panasonic ncr's, are going on 4 years and still hitting 3400mah in the charger...

Almost fell for that marketing until I automated equalization monthly.
Unfortunately I fell for it at the time. :( I am SOOO glad my lead acid days are over!

But ya this article reminded me of equalization too, but opposite direction and current instead of voltage.

I am going to email the authors with some questions... Maybe they'll respond

Good way to test type T fuses...periodically dead short your pack for its health and longevity...and proof of design safety?!? ?

Now I sound like a politician!

None of my LiFePO4 cells have lithium anodes. Lots of other dubious info in that article. Sounds like a fishing expedition for government funding - come to Australia, our retarded government is great at giving money to useless studies.

Looks like we would have to go to a library that subscribes to Nature, and read it there. Online I can only find a summary.
Liu, F., Xu, R., Wu, Y. et al. (2021) “Dynamic spatial progression of isolated lithium during battery operations.” Nature 600, 659–663

Sounds like compression. Supposed to be the magic bullet for long life, but nobody agrees as to exactly how to do it.

Ya that's the same thing we've been reading. You need to subscribe to get the actual study.
the study is downloadable at the resource link
1641374991843.png
this button downloads the PDF of the paper

(same link)

the study is downloadable at the resource link
View attachment 78408
this button downloads the PDF of the paper

Oh cool! excellent thank you. I am new around here and didn't know of that feature within the forums. Thanks!

Oh cool! excellent thank you. I am new around here and didn't know of that feature within the forums. Thanks!
no problem?the resource page layout did not make sense to me at first either?

sorry for spamming the paper link, want to get some eyes on the sauce!

Back