diy solar

diy solar

Resell market for used LiFePower4 48V batteries?

JLBinTN

I'm living in a temporary off grid situation, and contemplating adding another 5kw - 10kw of LiFePower4 batteries to get me through until I get grid power. The way things are going currently, that could be summer of 2023. That said, $1500 - $3000 is a fair amount to spend for a short term solution, UNLESS I can recover a significant percentage of that amount by reselling the batteries when I'm finished with them. I figure I'll use maybe 300 - 400 cycles out of an estimated 7000 cycle lifespan.

Has anybody here sold a gently used LiFePower4 battery recently?

If so, what was the battery's SOH and # of cycles used at the time you sold it? How much did you get?

Thanks!

If the battery packs are DIY'd you would most certainly get less payback compared to commercial batteries such as SOK (Known Good to High Quality Commercial). If you build your solar system in a way that even IF you get Grid Power you can reduce your dependence on the grid and the hostage fees required, would likely pay back more for you in the long run. The Grid Power costs will never go down and you can bet your bippy on that and most especially when SHTF.

As far as I am aware (starting in 2023), battery purchases for home backup and solar will qualify for a 30% federal tax credit, which is supposed to be in place for another 10 years or so. This will make the private resale market more difficult. A new $1500 battery purchase will come out being reduced by $450 by the rebate when the buyer files their taxes. This will reduce the incentive for people to buy used.

As far as I am aware (starting in 2023), battery purchases for home backup and solar will qualify for a 30% federal tax credit, which is supposed to be in place for another 10 years or so. This will make the private resale market more difficult. A new $1500 battery purchase will come out being reduced by $450 by the rebate when the buyer files their taxes. This will reduce the incentive for people to buy used.
I'm almost certain that the 30% credit applies to all of 2022, as well.

I think 2023 is for standalone battery purchases. Solar + battery works for 2022. I could be wrong.

Interesting point. I wonder if new prices will rise to offset the government incentive?

You want to check out refurbished EG4 batteries at SS. I bought three of them a month ago. They check out fine. No warranty, but they could not be more than a year old and $400. less than new. If you can drive to Texas, it would save you freight shipping. Although if you buy them at the store, you will need to pay sals tax.

Just build your own, order 16 of the 280ah, a jk bms, a couple days to balance + assemble and you have a 15k 48v battery for half the price of the cheapest ready built.

If you got 1/2 of the purchase price, you would be doing well.
Plus you've got to pack and ship them to sell which is going to cut into your selling price unless you have someone locally that can pick them up.

If you got 1/2 of the purchase price, you would be doing well.
Plus you've got to pack and ship them to sell which is going to cut into your selling price unless you have someone locally that can pick them up.
50% off is a big hit considering how much useful life would remain. If true, I should try to buy used!

You want to check out refurbished EG4 batteries at SS. I bought three of them a month ago. They check out fine. No warranty, but they could not be more than a year old and $400. less than new. If you can drive to Texas, it would save you freight shipping. Although if you buy them at the store, you will need to pay sals tax.
Buying at a discount would help, but I'm more interested in what I can sell them for when I no longer need them.

If it were me I'd keep them even if it was just for backup during grid outages. Actually, that's basically the reason why I (slowly, eventually) assembled packs. Our grid connection has rarely faltered, but the way things are going I don't know how long it may remain so stable, plus when I watch the sump pump go off every 1-2 min during heavy rain the thought of losing power during that is scary. I know I can get battery backup sumps but then there's the fridge, freezer, keeping the kids from yelling because their bedroom fan stopped running in the middle of the night...

Back