diy solar

diy solar

Residential Solar System Options/Reccomendations

Jman99

Good morning,
I have been researching “all in one” residential solar installation companies around Toronto, Ontario. I was close to signing with one when I came across this amazing forum.
I realized I could get a lot more bang for my buck by avoiding these “all in one companies”, however I’m also not very handy.

I’m looking to have a system installed that has option to add batteries either now or in the future.

I have a south facing roof that can handles 37-40 smaller panels (eg. Longi 405w) or 27-32 larger panels.

My house, which we recently purchased, is heated mainly by electricity and therefore our electricity usage is quite high, around 20,000-23,000 Kwh per year.

I have been advised that the following would be a good choice:
  1. Growatt Min10000TL (most economical however batteries are quite expensive)
  2. Sol-Ark 15 K
  3. Luxpower 18Kpv
My questions:
  1. Could anyone recommend a specific system that would work for me?
  2. Would you recommend I chose one of these “all in one” solar companies or hand pick my own equipment and hire someone to install?
    1. If purchasing my own equipment is the way to go, what are some companies you would recommend and trust?
    2. Do you have any recommendations for solar installers in and around the Toronto/Barrie Area (Ontario)
3. What hybrid inverters would you recommend?
4. Would Tigo Optimizers be a good choice. I have been reading a lot (on this forum) about the fire hazard these optimizers pose? Are there other optimizers that would be recommended?

If anyone needs any more information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks so much!

Happy New Year!

Welcome to the forum @Jman99 you have come to the right place.
I am going to suggest you need to start with more research, both from the loads side and the PV potential side.

I have a south facing roof that can handles 37-40 smaller panels (eg. Longi 405w) or 27-32 larger panels.
excellent that your roof is well suited to solar. Now use the links - go to PVWatts and plug in the total kw of PV and roof pitch use your phone to confirm "south" facing - often the angle is off a bit from true south - plug this all into PV watts and let it spit out the solar per month for your location (Barrie) save this info.
My house, which we recently purchased, is heated mainly by electricity and therefore our electricity usage is quite high, around 20,000-23,000 Kwh per year.

"Recently purchase" - ie less than a year?
I ask because it would be best to have the monthly electrical useage for every month of a typical year.
As you will see from PV watts, the power available varies during the year, with Nov/Dec typically the worst (least available) and for an electrically heated home this is Bad News, since you likely need more electricity just as the PV gives you the least.
The good news is, for A/C loads, solar typically works out since hot and sunny occur together.

I can't suggest any installers. This is the DIY solar forum after all (LOL) however your located near Orangeville, where there are several solar suppliers, perhaps they can suggest some local installers. You should avoid thinking about "kits" and find the solar potential you have, and the loads you need to power. Then search this forum for some ideas, and post questions. There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgable people here that will help you.

Everywhere in Canada, the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) applies. For a roof top solar PV system you need RSD {Rapid Shut Down} and AFDD {Arc Fault Detection & Disconnect} - do a search. These requirements limit your equipment options. Ground mounted PV arrays are exempt from RSD and AFDD, however then you need an open sunny space for the ground mounts.

Hope this gives you a place to start. Look foreward to seeing your questions.

Welcome to the Forum, I like you have been on a journey of learning from here this is the best Solar forum on the internet. The experience here is massive. Even manufactures, and online retail vendors listen to what is going on here. There is a vendor review sub-forum read those threads get an idea what manufacture you might want to go with. I like Sol-Ark read several threads here their support is excellent they cost more, but obviously better support costs more.

Were you thinking about doing the install yourself, or just getting more educated on the subject to make a more informed decision. Solar industry has its share of scammers more you know easier to avoid them. One basic thing to know is if you have a really long ROI the solar system will be out of warranty and the panels will be degraded before you even make it halfway through 30-year ROI. This is why solar DIY has become so popular. People call a solar contractor who shows up gives them a price that is 8 times the cost of the equipment. They do it because it's a commission-based industry. There are honest contractors who will give you an honest price since you can look up what the cost of the equipment is can figure out with some clarity how much they are charging to install it.

I'd personally go with the lux Power or eg4 18k. You're paying quite a bit for tech support for the sol ark.

Depending on your skill set it might be worthwhile trying to break out some of the tasks involved. Specifically mounting the panels and the electrical work.

Tigo optimizers are about your only choice if you're using a string inverter.

I'd personally go with the lux Power or eg4 18k. You're paying quite a bit for tech support for the sol ark.

Depending on your skill set it might be worthwhile trying to break out some of the tasks involved. Specifically mounting the panels and the electrical work.

Tigo optimizers are about your only choice if you're using a string inverter.
Have you read this thread ? There are other threads like it I know it was resolved but only because of this forum. I bought my inverter from Signature the savings outweighed the risk of a problem. Posting here seems to get a quick resolution. If I were spending lot of money like on a full permitted system probably go with Sol-Ark.

Last edited:
I recommened you pause and take a breath. Tben settle down with this site and do your research. Time with research can save you time and money when you start your build. My first step would be an energy audit. Second use every trick you can find in the forums to decrease your energy usage while maintaining your lifestyle. It can be done. In the meantime the fine folks here are only to happy to help. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Back