diy solar

diy solar

Rice Cooker Recommendations

jafo

Just curious to see what everyone's using? Just in case I might be sitting on 200 pounds of rice in my bunker. Also asking because sometimes you just need to break out unrelated topic. @Will Prowse what are you cooking in?

At our solar powered casa in Baja we use a 3 quart Instant Pot. We use it and any other electrical heating element during the day when the electricity is "free".

All I can add is induction cooking is more efficient. Those water boiling pots that sit on a base with the centering knob are induction and your will notice that the base does not get hot, only the bottom of the pots get hot. That is the also a nice safety feature.

Last edited:
I really like the Zojirushi units. I have bought a couple of their induction units .... and they pretty much make perfect rice. It is Japanese made ... and they know how to cook their rice .... but they are pretty pricy.

I had a smaller one and decided to upgrade to a larger one and gave the smaller one to my daughter. Kind wish I had just kept the smaller one.

Always made ours in a casserole dish in the microwave.
Trick is to soak and rinse the rice first.
I really miss rice.

Good point about the rinsing .... I have a large stainless steel bowl that I wash the rice in. There are some YouTube videos about properly washing rice .... I follow the Japanese model.
I spent quite a bit of time in southern Japan when I was in the military and really developed an appreciation for the versatility of rice.

P.S. That Zojirushi has a mode that will soak and then cook automatically .... guess I like gadgets.

I finally check ours. It is a Chinese induction one sold at Best Buy and others. Works great and uses 600Watts for 20 minutes or so..

Our son is a marine and was stationed in Okinawa. He took us to one of their local stores, and I was amazed at both the number of different rice cookers and their features and prices. The Japanese take their rice seriously.

I really like the Zojirushi units. I have bought a couple of their induction units .... and they pretty much make perfect rice. It is Japanese made ... and they know how to cook their rice .... but they are pretty pricy.

I had a smaller one and decided to upgrade to a larger one and gave the smaller one to my daughter. Kind wish I had just kept the smaller one.
Zojirushi rules. ;)

Good point about the rinsing .... I have a large stainless steel bowl that I wash the rice in. There are some YouTube videos about properly washing rice .... I follow the Japanese model Questions and answers MansIo.
I spent quite a bit of time in southern Japan when I was in the military and really developed an appreciation for the versatility of rice.

P.S. That Zojirushi has a mode that will soak and then cook automatically .... guess I like gadgets.
Looking at rice cookers, and getting a little lost at all the options.

I've had cheap Chinese $20 ones in the past that have never cooked the rice right, and died after a year or two.

Trying to see what people recommend for a decent rice cooker, that gets it right 100% of time whether I'm cooking aborio, sticky rice, or rice pudding. Actually one that has those options would be good. If it can cook other grains, such as porridge or even pasta (which I know isn't a grain), that'd be a bonus, but not essential.

Also important is the ability to cook low volumes as well. There is only 2 of us, and we generally only have about 1 cup cooked rice at a time (or cooking with ½ cup raw).

Yes I know I can cook rice on the stove easily, and do so reasonably well, but as the only one able to cook rice (and pasta for that matter), I'd like this to stop being the only mug that cooks rice, pasta, and porridge around here (and yes I've tried teaching her to no avail).

Edit: Budget is <$100, I can't see the benefit of something that does something basic like this costing $159...yet there is one.

Looking at rice cookers, and getting a little lost at all the options.

I've had cheap Chinese $20 ones in the past that have never cooked the rice right, and died after a year or two.

Trying to see what people recommend for a decent rice cooker, that gets it right 100% of time whether I'm cooking aborio, sticky rice, or rice pudding. Actually one that has those options would be good. If it can cook other grains, such as porridge or even pasta (which I know isn't a grain), that'd be a bonus, but not essential.

Also important is the ability to cook low volumes as well. There is only 2 of us, and we generally only have about 1 cup cooked rice at a time (or cooking with ½ cup raw).

Yes I know I can cook rice on the stove easily, and do so reasonably well, but as the only one able to cook rice (and pasta for that matter), I'd like this to stop being the only mug that cooks rice, pasta, and porridge around here (and yes I've tried teaching her to no avail).

Edit: Budget is <$100, I can't see the benefit of something that does something basic like this costing $159...yet there is one.
Sounds like a pressure cooker would be a nice solution. I love my instapot.
Rice, pasta, chicken, soft boiled eggs, mac N cheese, pot roast, steamed veggies, hard boiled eggs, etc.

Instapot gets my vote. Best cooking device on planet to make rice and or chicken at same time in same pot just fill it, set it, and forget it until done. Even got a warmer feature built in. Can double as slow cooker. Saute feature is nice.
Men and Women love the Versatile Instapots. The accessory lid is handy for storage. Recommend getting different sealing rings for lid as some foods will try embed in the silicon for smell. They make various colors of the silicon lid seals to assign use for different spiced foods. My Instapot draws measured ~1070 watts on 120volt when coming up to pressure. My backup emergency solar lifepo battery system can easily handle it for power outages. There are dedicated youtube channels for instapot cookers-recipes. Liquids do not evaporate and boil away like normal cooking so adjustments and learning curves are inbound. Do not over pressure or get mush. You can also make normally tough meats like some beef - tender - edible. Good food can be made in minutes straight from freezer to instapot and then eat when done. Works great for frozen - boneless turkey breast too. Making - cooking Food is a necessity. Almost forgot there is a “Rice button” on it. Just walk up hit rice button and instant rice…. Not really but…

Food examples:
IMG_1567.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

69334673100__3EE3BE38-97B8-4AD3-8CD4-DDAE4CA78001.fullsizerender.jpeg
68714091865__1B89F267-0DE7-4E2D-A027-D3BA28B2C116.fullsizerender.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1225.jpeg

Zojirushi. all the hot pots etc are just copied designs of the Zojirushi lines. we have two at the one small one large for guest, and one large one at house. never bothered to put one on a kill-o-watt as rice is not negotiable with a Japanese wife.IMG_1373[1].JPG

diy solar

diy solar
Back