diy solar

diy solar

Rigid or soft cell spacers in compressed assembly

Skypower

Solar Wizard
I have two battery assemblies that are in a spring fixtures using .045” silicone spacers between cells & ends. I’m building more battery assemblies and I’m wondering if a more rigid spacer like Formica would be better for the cells. That way a proud irregularity on one cell would be less likely to invade into another. Thoughts?

I have two battery assemblies that are in a spring fixtures using .045” silicone spacers between cells & ends. I’m building more battery assemblies and I’m wondering if a more rigid spacer like Formica would be better for the cells. That way a proud irregularity on one cell would be less likely to invade into another. Thoughts?

I dunno anything but I think the idea is that you're making the cell rigid along it's weakest axis.

In other words they can't make INDIVIDUAL cell walls strong enough without making it weigh a lot more.

At the end of the day the cells are not supposed to change shape. As far as bulged cell deforming a normal cell. I dunno.

I would think if you just push all the cells together with the required compression, all is well.

In other words, go rigid with your spacers.

Ha, I thought plastic file folders would be considered a curious choice. In my case and perhaps the case of @Skypower it may have been a matter of what was in hand.
In this case, I fear for the heat and flame resistance...
I'm looking for something cheap, rigid and heat, flame and chemical resistant...

Formica was originally intended as an electrical insulator to take the place of the mineral mica. Hence the name for-mica.
Then someone put it on a bench and said, hey this stuff also makes a nice table top too.
Best color for electrical is probably a light color. Black probably uses carbon black as a pigment and cooked carbon isn’t a good insulator though the color isn’t very thick. White seems to be the cheapest too.

Back