diy solar

diy solar

RoadTrek etrek 2015 major battery issues

CryptoNomad

Hello solo female van dweller having major issues with my Etrek 2015. I bought it used in 2017 and it has been ongoing.

I am just not able to use the RV Electric unless it’s plugged in to an outlet. I was able to use the microwave and stove if I turned on the engine. But now I can’t even do that. So basically the only thing charging the batteries right now is the solar panels And I can’t even use the inverter for that
It’s been tested many times including most recently when alternator stop charging the house batteries. Mercedes followed the wires back to the box next to the batteries and the inverter and they said that’s where the power stops. Everything is fine with the alternator and the house batteries under the hood.

I did meter test on all those cables back there but they were all above 24 V
The main thing I’m seeing right now is the inverter is not receiving any power although I am able to use it when I’m plugged in.
The inverter has already been replaced one so I know that’s not the issue.

Sean from roadtrek said there should be a in line fuse where the equalizer is but I do not see it. I talk to the tech support of the manufacture of the equalizer in there is not a fuse.

The inverter has already been replaced one so I know that’s not the issue.Sean from road track said there should be a in line fuse where the equalizer is but I do not see it. Mercedes just tested the fuse

Sean from road track said there should be a in line cues were the equalizer is but I do not see it. Mercedes

At this point I really just need to have access to the batteries at least while the engines are. Does anybody know of any fuse that I might’ve missed?

I think I probably will switch out the batteries were with them if that’s the batteries that are causing the problems but right now I just need to get to that point so I have the ability to live on the road. There’s got to be a temporary fix thank you

attached is the image of the box with the plugs for the battery cables. Also is the equalizer, the battery layout, and I think a picture of the inverter showing zero for input.

FYI I’m in Redlands California right now at a park. I couldn’t even turn off the disconnect button the battery was so low. If anyone has experience and can help let me know. I am heading to Las Vegas to get some body work done on the RV so.

I would love to replace w/ lithium batteries and record it on video so if anybody could help with that in Las Vegas or around redlands I can pay, but also I would like to help and videotape so it is on YouTube.

Attachments

• 87392E47-595C-42E1-BFC8-D02B2DD53455.jpeg
    87392E47-595C-42E1-BFC8-D02B2DD53455.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 24
  • FEF86D25-4A9F-482C-BF85-34C6F3B47E6C.jpeg
    FEF86D25-4A9F-482C-BF85-34C6F3B47E6C.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 28
  • E653E654-AEA8-4C19-8528-9B0FC98C000D.jpeg
    E653E654-AEA8-4C19-8528-9B0FC98C000D.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 5357EDAA-09A2-4B27-ACF9-191EB6518F42.jpeg
    5357EDAA-09A2-4B27-ACF9-191EB6518F42.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 41
  • EDE9B9A0-C6D9-414A-9F84-B6930E0B5541.jpeg
    EDE9B9A0-C6D9-414A-9F84-B6930E0B5541.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 21
Hi @CryptoNomad welcome to the forum.
I can't see the pictures and your prose are hard for me to digest.

What is the nominal system voltage supposed to be?
Usual values are 12, 24 or 48 volts.

Typically there is a main fuse within 18 inches of the main negative terminal of the battery(The one the big honkin black wire is attached to).

Can you confirm that fuse exists?

What is the voltage as measured from the main positive terminal to the system side of the above mentioned fuse?

What is the voltage as measured from the main positive terminal to the battery side of the above mentioned fuse?

Last edited:
Nominal system voltage is I think 24 V
I have 12 V power if I don’t turn on the inverter. So I guess the issue I’m having is 24 V power.

do you know how these electrical systems for vans are laid out?
I have a 5000 W inverter

I have a second alternator under the hood

I have 2- 6V lead acid batteries under the hood. That are part of the house battery system. Those two batteries were AGM batteries but they were replaced with lead acid when had problems. Not sure why they switched it to lead acid.

There is an equalizer under the Ottoman in the back.

There is six - 6 V batteries at the very back under the floor.

As far as testing the batteries now it’s not going to work because I have not plugged in to charge in over a week. I just been able to charge my cell phone a little bit through the 12 V system but even that is weak.

The RV is supposed to charge when I’m driving down the road or turn on the engine. That’s the issue I’m dealing with right now. I need to have the batteries being charged.

Thanks again for your reply and help

The RV is supposed to charge when I’m driving down the road or turn on the engine. That’s the issue I’m dealing with right now. I need to have the batteries being charged.

If the fuse I mentioned is blown you won't be able to charge or discharge the batteries.

]Sorry I missed read your last post I will look for that fuse. I’ll try to upload a video

Last edited:
Nope, my eyesight is not up to the task.
I'm going to step away and let someone better qualified help you.
Cheers.
Do you have a similar electrical system? I know where the negative post is and there is no fuse along the wires attached to that post. Is it along the wall or something? Can you give me an idea of what I’m looking for?

FYI click on the link and it is a video if it works. I might have to upload it to YouTube. But it is a video showing the negative battery post

Is the battery/inverter system still intact as installed by Roadtec? If so, request a complete electrical schematic/diagram from Roadtec. If the van was RVIA certified - this info was generated and documented. Sadly, most RV manufacturers are reluctant to provide this info to the end user.

Pictures are not clear enough to identify which wiring goes to what circuit.

Is the battery/inverter system still intact as installed by Roadtec? If so, request a complete electrical schematic/diagram from Roadtec. If the van was RVIA certified - this info was generated and documented. Sadly, most RV manufacturers are reluctant to provide this info to the end user.

Pictures are not clear enough to identify which wiring goes to what circuit.
I’ll see if I can find the schematics on line. There’s no longer any tech-support for a road trec
Click on the image and you can zoom in.

Thanks for the reply.

Just an FYI I know the way out pretty good.

If you’re facing the back of the van the negative post is on the left-hand battery bottom. And the positive post is top right. The inverter is right next-door to the negative post battery actually inside the van. The batteries are under the floor. I’m trying to get the video to post try clicking on the link I posted.I will upload to YouTube if it does not work.

Right now - i would be concerned about battery condition. Have you checked the individual battery voltages? If those Lead Acid 6v batteries are left at a low state of charge for any length of time -they will be compromised.

Also, more difficult to test the individual circuits with dead or nearly dead batteries connected.

you need to find the fusing locations and meter test each fuse. Sounds like the technician/entity that replaced the AGM's didn't correct the condition that caused their failure.

also, how long since the 6v batteries were installed? Lead Acid 6v batteries need maintenance watering ~once a month. Have the batteries had this maintenance performed? If not -batteries could be just dead.

RoadTrek brand? What model? RoadTrek is still in business.....with a dealer network. The installed house battery system troubleshooting would be outside a MB Sprinter Dealers normal range of business. Whom ever put the Lead Acid batteries in this house application -did not do you any favors -unless the decision was based on economics.

dealer locator:
https://www.roadtrek.com/locators/?type=service

snipped
Just an FYI I know the way out pretty good.

If you’re facing the back of the van the negative post is on the left-hand battery bottom. And the positive post is top right. The inverter is right next-door to the negative post battery actually inside the van. The batteries are under the floor. I’m trying to get the video to post try clicking on the link I posted.I will upload to YouTube if it does not work.
Understanding what components are present and where located is necessary to pinpoint the fault that is happening that leads to the system failure.

You are correct -free technical service is probably not available for complex issues on a 2015 model.

OP my bad the fuse is usually located within 18 inches of the positive terminal.
I'll let myself out now.

complete owners manual is available on this page:
https://www.roadtrek.com/owners/#section-howto&FAQ

Your RoadTrek etrek model "house" electrical system is designed/installed anticipating the use of 6v AGM batteries. Changing battery type requires re-programming the AIMs inverter/charger system use profile. The under floor storage location is not Lead Acid battery friendly in regards to their maintenence requirements and off-gassing during charging times.

Have you checked all the fuses in the "house" fuse panel. From the owners manual;
The distribution panel is located behind the driver in the overhead cabinet. The 120VAC breakers are behind a plastic panel and the 12VDC fuses are behind a black cover inside the cabinet. The breakers and fuses are labeled on the lid.
Your problem could be as simple as a polarity protection fuse on the inverter/charger.

Last edited:
Right now - i would be concerned about battery condition. Have you checked the individual battery voltages? If those Lead Acid 6v batteries are left at a low state of charge for any length of time -they will be compromised.

Also, more difficult to test the individual circuits with dead or nearly dead batteries connected.

you need to find the fusing locations and meter test each fuse. Sounds like the technician/entity that replaced the AGM's didn't correct the condition that caused their failure.
You are correct They did not fix the issue. But they needed to be replaced.

Only the front two batteries are lead acid. And I’ve been checking the fluid in those.

The batteries in the back or AGM deep cycle 6 V golf cart batteries.

How do you find an in-line fuse? It looks like it might be under the casing? I don’t know. I don’t want to cut through the casing in mess something up.

Understanding what components are present and where located is necessary to pinpoint the fault that is happening that leads to the system failure.

You are correct -free technical service is probably not available for complex issues on a 2015 model.
All the batteries and cables have been tested. This happened after Mercedes fixed they DEF issue and did a computer reset. All of a sudden my batteries are no longer charging the house battery on the engines on.

The Mercedes guys tested the cables all the way back to the battery box in the back he said the power stops there so we have it narrowed down to that battery box inverter and that other box that combines them all togetherSo basically there’s four boxes literally jampacked in the back area of the RV left-hand corner

So basically there’s four boxes literally jampacked in the back area of the RV left-hand corner.
  • The battery compartment that holds the six batteries in the very back
  • The inverter box right next to that battery compartment. 5000 W
  • There is a box where all the cables power plug-in you’ll see an image in my first one. Each one of those plugs is for a different source of power. Solar, alternator, battery, inverter they all meet in this one box
  • Equalizer. The equalizer is under the Ottoman inside the van and is closest to the engine. I’m not sure what role it plays in all of this LOL
All the cables have been tested in those boxes. And the Mercedes guy said that issue is either in the battery box or the box where they all meet. He just said the box in the back.​
So everybody is assuming it is a fuse but I just need to know where the fuse is located.​

Last edited:
RoadTrek brand? What model? RoadTrek is still in business.....with a dealer network. The installed house battery system troubleshooting would be outside a MB Sprinter Dealers normal range of business. Whom ever put the Lead Acid batteries in this house application -did not do you any favors -unless the decision was based on economics.

dealer locator:
https://www.roadtrek.com/locators/?type=service
Mercedes had nothing to do with the lead acid batteries.

That was an incompetent mechanic in Colorado. She would not call Roadtrek and ask what to do to fix everything. So instead of replacing with a AGM she put in lead acid.

Long story.

OP my bad the fuse is usually located within 18 inches of the positive terminal.
I'll let myself out now.
Thank you so much. I hope I didn’t offend you with my comment earlier. I thought somebody had stepped over you and I thought I was replying to another person. Sorry about that. You’ve been very helpful.

Back