diy solar

diy solar

RS485 firmware update on EG4 LL V2 batteries to communicate with EG4 PowerPro batteries

muaddib721

Solar Enthusiast
I’m about to update the firmware on my LL V2 batteries so they can communicate with the PowerPro batteries and I have a question. I’m following the instructions in the video from SS labeled EG4 PowerPro ESS EG4 18Kpv install and commissioning and they are connecting the RS485 cable to the CAN port (I know that the CAN is a RS485 port) and my question is on my LL batteries there is the CAN port and the RS485 port. Do I update both or which one if not both?

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 16
There is only one firmware to update on the main BMS board, I'd try whichever port allows the firmware update utility to successfully communicate and write the firmware, as the other port will likely not work (as the cable only talks RS485 likely). Probably would be the RS485 port that would work.

Once the tool says successfully updated firmware, then it would be all that is needed. Can check the installed version to confirm it completed.

I am trying to complete the same update but when I try to open the zip file with the update I get this message ... "unable to expand"EG$ LL-S ID6 RS485 update for EG4 18kPV.bin". It is an unsupported format." I am on a MacOS platform, and have been able to connect to the battery with the MacOs version of tools. Has anyone else seen this message and found a work around. I looked for an unzipped version but could not.

Thank you

Thank you for the suggestion Eric. I have the .bin file now but no program to send it to the LL battery. My Mac is connected to the battery through the program "lv_host" using the usb to RS485 cable provided with my lifepower units. I do not see any place in that app to install the firmware to the battery. The Ll firmware updater app that I downloaded is for a windows machine. Is there nothing similar for the Mac. I used a program called "bms_host" to get an upgrade into my lifepower units but cannot get it to talk to the LL.

I believe as of now the update can only be done through windows but let me double check with our team.

Thanks Eric, My battery is currently version Z02T18. Is there a required update for it to be installed at the top of a lifepower4 string and talk with 6000XP inverters?

If you have an LL V2, no firmware update is necessary for communication. However, if you have an LL-S, you will need to update the firmware.

diy solar

diy solar
Back