diy solar

diy solar

Running booster pump 24/7 Questions before I make an order

Zeebest001

I have a booster pump in my apartment in Puerto Rico. When I lose power in my apartment I also lose water since the booster pump needs power to run. Upon researching I believe all I need is a good quality inverter and a deep cycle battery.

Since I manage my apartment remotely when I am not there I want something that automatically kicks on when I lose power. So from my understanding, I would have an inverter such as Renogy 2000W Pure Sine Wave connected to AC power at all times. The Booster Pump would be connected to this inverter and then I would have a Deep Cycle battery connected to the inverter as well.

The booster pump is 8amps and 115V (K2 Pump 3/4th HP.

My goal is uninterrupted water during a power outage and at the same time when power is restored a smooth transition back onto AC grid.

Since I will be having airbnb guests there, they will not monitor the battery life and make sure it doesn't get to low, so it would be crucial for me to have ample battery life for worst case scenario.

Does this setup make sense or am I missing any steps? I worry about having a battery at 100% charge at all times and running the Inverter at all times, but it is my only option since I don't want to bother the guests to manually do anything during power loss.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

That pump likely has a very large surge current up to 5kW. I have a 24V/2kW high frequency PSW inverter that would NOT start a 3/4hp pump.

If that is a low frequency 2kW inverter/charger with a legit 2X or 3X surge rating, that might work.

The downside to inexpensive inverter/chargers is a high idle consumption meaning it will consume power even if the pump is not on - as much as 80Ah @ 12V in 24 hours - again, without the pump running.

Having it in standby operation will also consume additional power, so you might add as much as an additional kWh/day even when grid is present.

What about a pressure tank? A pressure tank would give a small reserve of water in the event of a short outage. Not enough for a shower or other heavy use, but for drinking water, washing hands, flushing toilets, etc. It would also reduce the frequency of pump cycling, but it would run for longer when on.

Before I replaced my booster pump, I believe I had a well pump. For some reason the water would still run through the well pump even without power, I just wouldn't have great water pressure, but I could still flush toilets and the water pressure wasn't that bad. Ideally I would like to have a setup like this, but I have no idea how to achieve it. The well pump wasn't ideal either because it would turn on when the pressure got low and build the pressure back up, then turn on when low and then build the pressure backup. The booster pumps keeps the water flow constant. Is there a way to make the booster pump have water run through it but not get the "boost" when I lose power? That would be ideal.

How long a power outage do you want to be able to cover? Are there any other critical loads you also need to cover (fridge, freezer, internet, lights)?

Let me add this, I live on the third story in an apartment, the entire floor. I have a cistern which is common in Puerto Rico, so I have a huge cistern that the city water goes into, from the cistern it flows into my booster pump.

so it would be crucial for me to have ample battery life for worst case scenario.
It's puerto rico so worst case scenario is what, 1-2 weeks of no power from a hurricane? You may want to just go for like 1 day without power?

to go with what @sunshine_eggo said but differently.. how big is this place do you need a pump that large? you can go smaller and then have less power needed. Or find some pump with a softer start

Before I replaced my booster pump, I believe I had a well pump. For some reason the water would still run through the well pump even without power, I just wouldn't have great water pressure, but I could still flush toilets and the water pressure wasn't that bad. Ideally I would like to have a setup like this, but I have no idea how to achieve it. The well pump wasn't ideal either because it would turn on when the pressure got low and build the pressure back up, then turn on when low and then build the pressure backup. The booster pumps keeps the water flow constant. Is there a way to make the booster pump have water run through it but not get the "boost" when I lose power? That would be ideal.
Is this new one diaphragm pump or something? You should get some centrifugal pump so it lets water through

You can also make a bypass just with 2 Tees and 1 check valve. It'll allow water through but when the pump runs the check valve will stop it from going backwards

WPNS, eventually I want to cover the entire apartment, but for now, I just want to cover the booster pump.
I guess go with a larger inverter now instead of later lol
Let me add this, I live on the third story in an apartment, the entire floor. I have a cistern which is common in Puerto Rico, so I have a huge cistern that the city water goes into, from the cistern it flows into my booster pump.
Is that an accumulator tank or just some unpressurized tank?

gotbeans, I have no idea if it is disphragm or what that even means. I don't know what centrifugal is either. Seems like a bypass valve may be the best approach. I am assuming it would just bypass the booster pump when the power is out. So I would manually shut off and on the appropriate levers, is this correct?

Sorry for the horrible picture, but you can see the booster pump, it’s connected to the cistern and then the apartment water line.

gotbeans, I have no idea if it is disphragm or what that even means. I don't know what centrifugal is either. Seems like a bypass valve may be the best approach. I am assuming it would just bypass the booster pump when the power is out. So I would manually shut off and on the appropriate levers, is this correct?
The diaphragm pump are used for high pressure and don't let stuff go backwards or forwards, if they're not on then nothing moves. I'm guessing everything hydraulic etc uses them.
a well pump is gonna be an impeller or centrifugal and it will spin when water flows and let water go backwards / forwards

as far as the bypass I stole this image from the search engine IDK what it's from but this is basically the layout of a simple bypass
1711564337889.png

just pretend a check valve is on the top. and pump is on the bottom
you can also do a manual on/off next to the check valve if you ever need it or before both (probably main water shut off is before them)

I do agree with sunshine's accumulator tank though I would also recommend one of them along with your overall pressure system

Sorry for the horrible picture, but you can see the booster pump, it’s connected to the cistern and then the apartment water line.
The green... garden hose? (hahaha) is that the inlet then? seems like it would be

Just use an inverter/charger like a victron 2 or 3k.

Lots of options available from others.

My cabin has a Grundfos Scala pump that was easily run by an AIMS 3k inverter and is now easily run by the Victron 3k inverter.

It draws I think 450 watts so you can size your battery accordingly. It really has no surge but without knowing what kind of pump you have it's difficult to make an equipment recommendation.

How can the water flow in if it's on a cistern, that isn't pressurized right?
Is it on the roof of the apartment or something?

The garden hose is before the booster pump. So I am able to extract water from the cistern to the hose right now if there is a power outage. The cistern isn't pressurized, I believe the water was flowing from it before due to the downward pressure of the water. The cistern is in my wash machine room, right beside the booster pump, so it isn't on the roof.

thanks gotbeans, it sounds like I just need to figure out a way to bypass the booster pump during the power outage and use the downward pressure from the cistern to provide water that way. Like. I said it use to work this way and just flow through the well pump. I appreciate all the info from all of you!

So I would manually shut off and on the appropriate levers, is this correct?
You shouldn't have to manually do anything when the power goes off. both on/off valves will be on all the time for the most part
You already have one on/off valve which is blue I see it in your picture
the red is what you add to the system.
on/off valve is just so you can shut it off if you need to

I don't think it'll work because the check valve has a certain amount of pressure required to open and your gravity might not be enough but you can try it

You can test your system and the pump
I would take the pump outside hook a hose to it and spray water in the inlet & outlet see if it lets any water through just so you know how it works.
and if it doesn't then you know it doesn't.. but you can test the check valve just buy one and hook it to the cistern or your green hose (doesn't matter) and see if it lets water through or not

Attachments

• 1711564952302.png
    1711564952302.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 4
Back