diy solar

diy solar

RV - 600 Watt solar with 2 DIY 280ah LiFeP04 batteries

HomeTownHockeyFan

Solar Rookie
Details on my RV solar configuration

26’ Travel trailer (Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s)

Six 100 Watt roof mounted Polycrystalline Solar panels. (HQST)
Panels are wired in parallel pairs (2P3S)

1588100069805.png

Victron SmartSolar 150/35 charger with BlueTooth battery sensor

2000 watt pure sine wave inverter (Renogy)

1588100069878.png

Inverter is ‘hard wired’ to an Automatic Transfer Switch (Go Power)

Used switches or breakers to isolate the various components.

Replaced the standard RV Converter with one that supports Lithium (Wildkat)

Built two 280ah batteries using EVE cells. (Moved the batteries from the tongue of the trailer to the pass through storage to shift some weight off the tongue)

Using two of the 120ah SmartBMS's wired in parallel

1588100069983.png

Used 8 gauge wire for solar panels

Used 1/0 wire for all battery, charger, and inverter wiring (Even replaced the wires running from the RV power converter)

Was a lot of work…but, very pleased with the results so far.

Excellent! Very nice. What's the largest load? Is there a provision to charge the batteries w/o panels, in a pinch?

Excellent! Very nice. What's the largest load? Is there a provision to charge the batteries w/o panels, in a pinch?
My largest load is probably the hair dryer...which is clearly optional. It showed as using under 100 amps, but the measurement is off because the solar panels were active at the same time...offsetting the power consumption.

The 2 BMS’s wired in parallel support up to a 250 amp load...so I have plenty of room to play with....

I have a 55 amp RV power converter (WildKat) that charges the batteries from AC when it is available.

Only issue I see is no breaker or fuse protecting the inverter circuit.
Thanks for the feedback.

The inverter connects to the power panel inside the RV, which then has breakers, a main one, plus one for each circuit.

Do you think I need another one between the Inverter and the RV breaker panel?

Thanks for the feedback.

You can't see it in the pictures, but there is a 250 amp fuse on the main positive connection to the battery.

On the wire chafing, my plan is to put sealant of some kind on the pass through hole to keep them from moving...was holding off till I was sure I did not need to run another wire through there. Open to other suggestions as well. :)

Class T or MRBF type?
Couple pieces of pvc from the home improvement store can be used to make a smooth surface. Gland from marine store will work, too. Segmented grommet is another option

Back on the Inverter breaker comment. I may have misunderstood. I think you are saying/suggesting that I need a breaker between the battery and the Inverter...where I have a switch instead? And if so, that would need to be a fairly large one...200 amps or so?

Or is the 250 amp catastrophic fuse I have to the battery ok instead?

Back on the Inverter breaker comment. I may have misunderstood. I think you are saying/suggesting that I need a breaker between the battery and the Inverter...where I have a switch instead? And if so, that would need to be a fairly large one...200 amps or so?

Don't think he was concerned about the AC side of install, but the DC side. Which the MRBF covers. Is the 2k inverter the largest battery load?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

A key point, that I have not focused on...is possible impacts from the vibrations that come from moving this trailer over time.

I will take a closer look at all of my connection points and see what I can do to relieve any stress from the wires...specially any that connect to the battery...since the connections there use fairly small bolts.

Don't think he was concerned about the AC side of install, but the DC side. Which the MRBF covers. Is the 2k inverter the largest battery load?
Thanks for your clarification. The 2K inverter is by far the highest load on the battery...everything else is small in comparison (LED lights, 12 volt blower/fan motors, etc)

Nope, that fuse is perfect. And you have a fine disconnect for inverter servicing. Well done!

Thanks for the feedback.

The inverter connects to the power panel inside the RV, which then has breakers, a main one, plus one for each circuit.

Do you think I need another one between the Inverter and the RV breaker panel?
I have always been told KEEP THE FUSE/BREAKER AS CLOSE TO POWER SOURCE, ie. batteries, as possible.

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t show it in the picture, but I have a 250 amp MRBF fuse at the positive end of my battery...just for the reason you stated.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Back