diy solar

diy solar

RV Rag Tag Solar installed - Is this wrong Inverter?

Desert Grit

Have 500 watt panels on roof of my 26' Class C, have 2000 watt modified sine wave Inverter, 20 amp solar charge controller, 2 100ah marine deep cell batteries. Also have 1500 watt modified inverter on one power cord to inside coach. Bought a new inverter, 4000 watt Pure Sine wave Volfvert, still in box is what I got. Inverter was suppose to be 3000 watt Giandel. Should return right? Plan was to get 3000 watt pure sine and upgrade batteries to 2 Amstron AGM 6 volt GC2. I think the 4000 watt inverter is overkill and crappy brand. Im building my system slow but sure on tight income to run my 9000 pioneer mini split. If i can do that i can boondock. Some of this was bought by my husband before he passed 2 years ago. Some I bought before I read Wills book. Im starting with what I have. I know its rag tag and not fancy. But so was this motorhome before I started. I love the mini split! I workcamp and am on shore power and will be for most likely another year. So just need info to finish so I can travel to see kids. #1, inverter return?. #2, batteries, golf cart Amstron or go cheap at sams club? #3, higher amp charge controller? #4 I have room on roof for I think 3 more panels. My existing 5 panels are all 100 watt. #5 Do multiple charge controllers have to be same brand? I know this system is basic and thank you for your kindness to read this and your input is much appreciated. I will try to learn as fast as I can. As long as I dont have to climb on my roof, I can do this!

Too much inverter can be a problem because the idle consumption is higher than lower rated models.

If you're mostly connected to shore power and need batteries just to get you from point A to point B, you don't need anything special.

The solar charge controller depends on how much charge your battery bank can handle. Check the specs on your batteries. Higher quality solar charge controllers can be programmed to charge at lower amperage.

Multiple charge controllers can be connected to the same system. Brand doesn't matter. But multiple Victron Smart solar charge controllers can talk to each other to coordinate the charge.

It's easiest if the solar panels match if you're going to put them on the same string. Different strings, you can do whatever you want.

Never exceed the Maximum PV Input Voltage on the solar charge controller! Add up the Voc of panels in series to determine how much voltage the solar charge controller can see. Don't try to hit the limit. In cold weather, the voltage from a solar panel goes up.

Too much inverter can be a problem because the idle consumption is higher than lower rated models.

If you're mostly connected to shore power and need batteries just to get you from point A to point B, you don't need anything special.

The solar charge controller depends on how much charge your battery bank can handle. Check the specs on your batteries. Higher quality solar charge controllers can be programmed to charge at lower amperage.

Multiple charge controllers can be connected to the same system. Brand doesn't matter. But multiple Victron Smart solar charge controllers can talk to each other to coordinate the charge.

It's easiest if the solar panels match if you're going to put them on the same string. Different strings, you can do whatever you want.

Never exceed the Maximum PV Input Voltage on the solar charge controller! Add up the Voc of panels in series to determine how much voltage the solar charge controller can see. Don't try to hit the limit. In cold weather, the voltage from a solar panel goes up.
Thank you!

In a perfect world you would also need ~ 1 marine type battery for each 500 watts of inverter capacity being used.

So if your goal is to use 2 000 watts, then ( 2 000 watts ) / (500 watts per battery ) ~ 4 batteries to power it (ideally) .

Back