diy solar

diy solar

RV Roof Layouts

ff6849

Which configuration would be optimal for a fifth wheel. I am leaning towards 2S2P to compensate for any shading on one side or the other, and the movement of the sun during the day. This is my first attempt at solar and really wanting it to plan it out well. I am a boondock camper, mountains during the summer, and desert during the winter. So its a 50/50 mix. Mountains are very shaded.

Attachments

• panel layout (2p-2s) (4s).pdf
    106.6 KB · Views: 27
Some newer residential panels have systems that offset shade (not like older ones in series that shade impacted). 2S2P is better in shady areas most of the time. The 2S2P has a 74v VOC. The 4S layout puts out 148volts at VOC and that requires a large Solar Charge Controller 250/60 or 250/70. A 150/nn SCC is too close to the 148v VOC. Cold weather, higher PV efficiency could destroy it.

Last edited:
Another option is to create two distinct 2s setups. Each setup goes to it's own solar charge controller.
This is common on sailing boats because of shading issues (sails etc) and awkward spaces to fill

PV panels are so cheap now your best value is to fill your roof with as many panels as will neatly fit

Worth noting big panels seem efficient but they are logistically hard to install because they are heavy. I recommend including this in your planning

Back