diy solar

diy solar

Sail boat mounted panels 4-6 roughly 500w - suggestions?

live4soccer7

Solar Enthusiast
I have a friend that is going to be replacing the really old panels on his sailboat and he wants to go with a DC install size of around 2kw. I'm thinking that micro inverters would be best due to shading from the sails and not necessarily being able to control this aspect. It would also add a layer of redundancy if a panel were to go bad or a micro inverter.

I know pretty much nothing about micro inverters and I'm hoping you guys can provide some suggestions on this. Could he utilize a microinverter efficiently for each panel to provide maximum redundancy? He sails around the world so this is important. I'm not quite sure what his current charging system or inverter looks like.

I'm open to other ideas/suggestions, but this is just what came to mind.

I effectively have these panels in my ground mount install, so I was able to find these from the powerstore. It is a starting point for design. I suggested bifacial given the high reflectivity/albedo from the water and his boat.

He currently is connecting into a victor energy smart solar charger that is charging 6 210Ah AGM batteries.

Micro inverters require a grid source.
I don't think he has a long enough cord to go around the world.

I have since realized that would not be the way. lol.

I have changed the thread title.

The thought process of having each panel individually "controlled" vs putting them in series seems like the most ideal though since if he has a panel go down or get damaged then it wouldn't only affect that one panel and he could remove or disconnect it and still be operational.

I have been doing some thinking and I think frameless would be the best as well since he won't have to worry about corrosion of the frame from the harsh saltwater.

Back