diy solar

diy solar

Santan 🚨 Tariff Alert Aug 1st!

I noticed Santan all the used were below 300 watts sure glad I got my 395W panels back in November when they had the buy 3 get 1 free sale. I don't see the things changing no matter who wins in November. I always thought tariffs were bad for the consumer no matter what.
How much did you pay for those back then?

Ain’t nobody Gona bomb nobody in a way to disrupt the money cycle… unless it makes them more money….. then anything is on the table..

I read it as:

Solar panel = $100 includes $10 tariff. Solar panel is $90 plus tariff.
Existing tariff 10$ or 10 %

new tariff =$10 X 1.25 = $12.50

Same solar panel now costs 112.50
Or, in an attempt to capture market share, the importer eats half the charge, and it's $106.25 while others are selling it for $125 because "AHHH, TARIFFS!!!". Prices vary all the time due to a number of factors, buy what you need when you need it, and it'll be a 3 year or 5 year or 10 year payback depending on your circumstances, and you'll do it depending on your own financial calculations. The real losers will be the ones who bought 10 pallets because the seller assured them the prices were going to skyrocket.

Until it morphs into "Don't leave the lights on or the doors open on cloudy days." 8*)
That's why I be building that 20KW solar array for them cloudy days and 4 days of rain

I figure if I can produce 3kw in the crappiest conditions i'll be sitting fat and happy the rest of the time :cool:

Solar panel tax makes NO DAMN SENSE.
Chinese businesses are controlled by the state, and operate to create jobs, rather than create a profit. As a result, the prices China sells solar panels at are no profit, even at a loss, anything to keep citizens employed. Since capitolism can't compete with that model, they put tariffs/taxes.

The natural question then, is why compete? Hard to answer, but I believe it is because they expect global shipping/trade to fail (in many ways it is already) especially with respect to China. If shipping/trade fails then there will be no solar panels to buy, and the D's have solar panels as a staple part of the green energy thing.

Also, from my point of view, it is nice to have an option to buy solar panels not made by Uyghur prisoners and indentured servants. Without Tariffs of some kind, no US business could compete (yet) and would fail.

20240630_213635.jpg20240719_153419.jpg20240719_153424.jpg20240719_153444.jpg

Next build is gonna be a solar carport 18 panel array 9s 2p and then I have an 36' RV to cover and a 40' shipping container possibly

Currently have 34 370W panels in production 6 remaining and 33 more 370w getting delivered Wednesday

I am in Florida right now these are the most current picks I have with me

I currently have 3 inverters and in building multiple arrays to isolate some of the wiring

There's over a quarter mile of cabling in the ground right now this presents a lofty lightning risk

I commissioned my first inverter May 27th and have only used 40 kW of electricity from the utility since

But we can never really compete when workers here want minimum $15hr and 15 minute breaks every hour. We could probably put a 100% tariff on them, and panels will still be cheaper coming from China or wherever labor is cheap. Keep in mind the costs here for building the factories too.
US workers are more productive per person than Chinese, which offsets the extra labor cost. In addition, Chinese wages have risen considerably, and continue to rise.

Also, if the idea is to build somewhere else because labor is cheaper there: remember that things built abroad must be shipped across oceans. Shipping across oceans requires someone to pay for a giant navy that goes around making sure everybody plays nice and doesn't sink their neighbor's boat. Paying for that navy isn't free.

That's why I be building that 20KW solar array for them cloudy days and 4 days of rain

I figure if I can produce 3kw in the crappiest conditions i'll be sitting fat and happy the rest of the time :cool:
Prob need to budget for 10% production in crap conditions. Another 10kW?

Increase will not be an actual percent you can calculate.
They may be paying tariff on a panel that costs them $20. Them selling it for $100 includes many expenses that the tariff doesn't apply to.

I brought my car trailer with me to Florida EV shopping today looking for Chevy Bolt or Tesla Model S. Range is a must

Gotta have somewhereto stuff that extra solar power :unsure:

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back