diy solar

diy solar

Schneider firmware really has issues

I don't know why Schneider says in the documentation that the MPPT and Inverter "battery voltages" have to be exactly the same, since by experimentation, I have not found an impact if they are slightly different ??!!
I also have slight voltage differences depending on where the voltage is measured. This is natural due to the very large currents. I have not found that this plays any role, and therefore did not need any compensation on my part by setting the MPPT battery voltage higher to compensate for the drop. I think this can actually lead to overcharging issues on the battery when the currents are low and therefore minimal voltage drops.

There are basically two issues here:
1)Setup of the MPPT parameters to enable it to put out maximum power. For my MPPT, this I had to find having to do with the battery temperature settings and the compensation curve.
2)The setup of the Inverter so that it will "know" when to export and when to taper down the export. The main factor I have found in this is to make sure that if the GSV is set to what the voltage of the battery should stay at... which is the voltage that the MPPT would charge at. So in my case it is simply this (set MPPT charge voltage regardless of bulk/absorb/float to 54V), (Set the Inverter battery settings to be same as the MPPT, and set the GSV to 54 V). The Inverter then acts like a servo system ... it will increment the sell amps up until the DC input voltage starts to go below the GSV of 54V... then it backs off on the sell to maintain that voltage of 54 Volts on the input. All of this it does while first supplying enough power to the house loads. When there is sudden low PV power (clouds passing) and hence low charge power from the mppt, the battery will discharge slightly (only by Milli-volts). At which point, the Inverter will notice that the DC input is lower than the GSV, and it will either stop exporting, or even supplement the house power from the grid.

This is now how my system is working perfectly (finally!), and this is what I wanted all along. If the grid should go down in the night ( or day when very low PV) then the inverter draws power from the battery until the Low Battery Cutout voltage, at which point it would shut down, and you have to bring out the generator.

What I hope, and I hope Schneider is listening, is that they will update the firmware on the MPPT to be able to do this all in a coordinated manner. The big benefit for the MPPT firmware change would be that it could know what the actual current is to the battery and what it is to the Inverter... this could eliminate a lot of this nonsense.

What I hope, and I hope Schneider is listening, is that they will update the firmware on the MPPT to be able to do this all in a coordinated manner. The big benefit for the MPPT firmware change would be that it could know what the actual current is to the battery and what it is to the Inverter... this could eliminate a lot of this nonsense.
I heard today from Schneider that they will release within a month the firmware for MPPT close loop with batteries.

1689377647101.png

It will be interesting to see how it works.

Last edited:
I wish I had thought to write to them earlier and ask for when the Insight is connected by ethernet cable, that it shuts off its wifi . Mine seems to always be on even though it is hard line Ethernet cable connected.

Do you folks have an email address that you use to communicate with Schneider? I do not see it online.

When I call them, it is a crap shoot if they will even stay on the line 2 minutes before disconnecting me.
In fact, I have never been able to speak to a human so far.
Dont get me wrong, I have no big issues with their equipment, it is the best I have owned so far.

I wish I had thought to write to them earlier and ask for when the Insight is connected by ethernet cable, that it shuts off its wifi . Mine seems to always be on even though it is hard line Ethernet cable connected.

Do you folks have an email address that you use to communicate with Schneider? I do not see it online.

When I call them, it is a crap shoot if they will even stay on the line 2 minutes before disconnecting me.
In fact, I have never been able to speak to a human so far.
Dont get me wrong, I have no big issues with their equipment, it is the best I have owned so far.
The Wi-Fi Acces Point is on all the time unless its disabled.

You can disabled it here.
1689426457294.png

Thanks, but I have had the Access point off since I set it up and still I see it showing on my Dell Pc from time to time.
Must be a fluke.

Thanks, but I have had the Access point off since I set it up and still I see it showing on my Dell Pc from time to time.
Must be a fluke.
Yeah, definitely a fluke/bug. I have experienced it.

Just now i did a firmware update to 1.18 and after it was finished the Access point was on again after it was set to off before the update.

Yeah, definitely a fluke/bug. I have experienced it.

Just now i did a firmware update to 1.18 and after it was finished the Access point was on again after it was set to off before the update.
I just did the update to 1.18 and lose wifi, access point, everything. Had to remove and do a factory reset. It said something like that in the fw readme. But now i dont get internet access. Dont know what else to do. Gracias ! I did reset my lan access point and my switch also, just to be sure but nothing

What do you mean you "lose wifi" and "don't get internet access" ?

Do you have the IP for the Insight to log in from your local network?

If you did a factory reset, all your log in and password information is lost. I'm pretty sure you've got to start fresh and connected your laptop to the access point created by the Insight.

What do you mean you "lose wifi" and "don't get internet access" ?

Do you have the IP for the Insight to log in from your local network?

If you did a factory reset, all your log in and password information is lost. I'm pretty sure you've got to start fresh and connected your laptop to the access point created by the Insight.
cloud_settings.pngwifi_setup.pngcloud.pngnetwork.png
Those are my actual status pages. I did full factory reset, then connect LAN cable from router for initial setup, configured AP Ip and password, and lastly configured wi-fi ssid and password.

I just did the update to 1.18 and lose wifi, access point, everything. Had to remove and do a factory reset. It said something like that in the fw readme. But now i dont get internet access. Dont know what else to do. Gracias ! I did reset my lan access point and my switch also, just to be sure but nothing
A similar thing happened to me, but I was able to connect using the InsightHome Wi-Fi AP. From there i had to configure again the network settings so it was able to connect to my Wi-Fi network.

The internet connectivity status was showing the red X but i think it was due to an outage of the schneider Insight Cloud (site was down). After the Insight Cloud site was working the internet connectivity status was showing good again.

Those are my actual status pages. I did full factory reset, then connect LAN cable from router for initial setup, configured AP Ip and password, and lastly configured wi-fi ssid and password.
That's a surprise, not what I was expecting. Looks like you have local access, so like sancsam said, this looks like a remote monitoring issue. Do you use that? Do you have a country disabled filter on your router/modem?

I was so infuriated that i put 1.17 back and everything worked good, buuuut now i cannot write the Region Code. I dont know if it is related or not but when i try it says: stored successfully mut in status says: State: Mismatch, and Current Region: Custom!! I am goig to a short vacation with the wife a few days but my next step is a full factory reset, rewrite all fw's and start from zero.... again !!

Yeah, I'm leaving soon for a vacation, I've learned in the past to not mess with this right before I leave. These updates will wait until I return.

Last edited:
That's a surprise, not what I was expecting. Looks like you have local access, so like sancsam said, this looks like a remote monitoring issue. Do you use that? Do you have a country disabled filter on your router/modem?
as sancsam said it coul be a cloud problem and not mine, anyways i will not try it again as I cannot get my Fortress Evault Classic to use closed Loop !

Yesterday I installed Insight 1.18 and had some strange results. I was a computer programmer and owned a software company for 25 years, so I normally work carefully and systematically when making changes.

After installing 1.18, the first thing I noticed was the clock was weird. I checked and the Time/Date settings were correct, but the time had advanced by 6 hours. So, it appears they take the system time, and assume it is in the UK, then add the time zone offset. This would create the 6-hour difference (Central America).

Second, I had to take the primary (new term for master) inverter offline. When I did that, the WiFi connection from Insight Facility dropped. It was still transmitting, but would not accept any connections (from various devices). I had to power off the Insight Facility and restart it before the WiFi would allow connections.

I see that EG4-LL batteries are now supported, but I am not prepared to select that option until I see an update for the MPPT firmware, which I read somewhere else may be released soon. The MPPT still does not recognize Li-ion batteries, which is really poor.

I see that EG4-LL batteries are now supported, but I am not prepared to select that option until I see an update for the MPPT firmware, which I read somewhere else may be released soon. The MPPT still does not recognize Li-ion batteries, which is really poor.
I set up mine like this:

1689547656007.png

And all I can see it did was pass the charging parameters from the BMS to all MPPTs. Now most of the charging parameters in the MPPT are greyed out. If i disable Match MPPT Voltage to BMS I can individually set up the charging parameters as before. 1689547755002.png

From playing around with the MPPT Voltage Offset it is using 56VDC as setpoint for Bulk/Absorption/float and subtract the offset value. So, in this case 56VDC - 0.5 VDC Offset = 55.5VDC for all the parameters.

@sancsam, are you grid tied? If so, what would you suggest for a GSV (grid sell voltage)? I have the older XW6048, with 3 - 150-60 SCC's. I very seldom lose the grid, and don't want to over charge the batteries day in and day out. I have been 'experimenting' with different battery charging and GSV values. I have 2 Trophy 220ah lithiums, and have used the mfr's charging values, but I think they are too high for my grid tied set up.

Ideas, suggestions anyone...?

Thanks

Ideas, suggestions anyone...?
I think that's personal preference, how much battery to you want to retain if the power goes out?

Edit: that's and awkward sentence. How about: How much power do you want to hold in reserve, in case the power goes out?

Are you ok with 80%? 30%

I've got mine set to about 30% SOC, the setting is in voltage, but my setting is just over 30%
Meaning that anything over 30% could be sold to the grid. I've got some timers and other stuff going on, so it doesn't just dump everything down to that point, but my point is that some will want to hold the entire battery bank in reserve and set the grid support voltage very high.

Last edited:
I set up mine like this:

View attachment 157836

And all I can see it did was pass the charging parameters from the BMS to all MPPTs. Now most of the charging parameters in the MPPT are greyed out. If i disable Match MPPT Voltage to BMS I can individually set up the charging parameters as before. View attachment 157837

From playing around with the MPPT Voltage Offset it is using 56VDC as setpoint for Bulk/Absorption/float and subtract the offset value. So, in this case 56VDC - 0.5 VDC Offset = 55.5VDC for all the parameters.
Please clarify some points: are you using equalization for LiFePo batteries? and second: where exactly is your 56 volts setpoint? Thanks

Back