diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW Pro with Victron RS 450/100 (or similar)?

In case there is an excessive interference from MPPT when I use my radio equipment (not happening very often though). An ability to shut down MPPT controller from my office where I have radio stuff is a plus for me.
?
Midnite has great tech support, but including real people on the phone. I'd recommend calling them.
But their "insight home" is a gateway that allows to change setting, do EG4 battery integration and etc. At least with XW Pro? Or am I missing anything? I thought they only have "Insight home" and "Insight Facility" and both can do settings and etc.?
Schneider has gone through a few iterations of the product, one was specifically named Gateway. All had the same basic functionality. The Insight Home and Facility give you the same access into the unit. The Facility has double the number of ports and better wifi.
May I ask you what else do you have with Schneider name on it? PDP? I'm thinking about making my own PDP (din rail box really with DC and AC breakers) as I already have transfer switch separately and I'm also tight on space in my garage.
Just t the XW pro, insight home, and mini PDP.
The mini PDP was pricy for what it is (need box, breakers, wiring) but it fits great, did everything I needed, including getting through inspection.
I corrected my previous post with some extra info. I got those used panels when I was still planning to stay with 6500x. And they were not that cheap either. Like $240 for two.
The 21v and 24v panels in series is pretty close to a 44v panel. I'd want to compare VMP.
But, that would be a complicated area to set up.

?
Midnite has great tech support, but including real people on the phone. I'd recommend calling them.
Just called Midnite and they confirmed that Classic 250 is a very EMI noisy unit. Even noisier than some cheaper tier units (their words). Ahhh....

That's nice to see they are honest!
Did you get to the point of asking them about software shutdown from a PC?

That's nice to see they are honest!
Did you get to the point of asking them about software shutdown from a PC?
Yep, guy on a phone told me there is such an option in what he called "local" software. Not sure if he meant just their PC app.1
BTW, I couldn't find any specifications on max PV current for both Classic 200 and Classic 250. And didn't ask about that as well... Only found stated max battery charging currents depending on battery voltage. So, datasheet says 55A for 48V battery. I assume should be closer to 50A on 53VDC (average for 48V LifePo4)... That gives 50A*53= 2650W out of SCC. If we assume 95% efficiency then at around 200Vmp from PV max current will be 2650/(0.95*200)=13.9A? Or am I calculating it wrong? And if I decide to split my string into two parallels then max current will double (assuming 100Vmp)? Sounds a bit weird. With other SCC there is normally a hard limit for max PV current. Unless I'm missing something here.

BTW, I sent an email to Victron and they confirmed that RS 450/100 has EMI filters both on PV and DC/Batt sides. No perfect solution here :((

Yep, guy on a phone told me there is such an option in what he called "local" software. Not sure if he meant just their PC app.1
"Local app" appears to be the product name for their PC software.

BTW, I couldn't find any specifications on max PV current for both Classic 200 and Classic 250. And didn't ask about that as well... Only found stated max battery charging currents depending on battery voltage. So, datasheet says 55A for 48V battery. I assume should be closer to 50A on 53VDC (average for 48V LifePo4)... That gives 50A*53= 2650W out of SCC. If we assume 95% efficiency then at around 200Vmp from PV max current will be 2650/(0.95*200)=13.9A? Or am I calculating it wrong?
I don't feel like that much math at the moment. Have you seen these graphs from midnight. Along other things it looks like the 48v current ratings are actually done at 58 volts.
And if I decide to split my string into two parallels then max current will double (assuming 100Vmp)? Sounds a bit weird. With other SCC there is normally a hard limit for max PV current. Unless I'm missing something here.
With two parallel strings you'd add the current from each string to get the total for the SCC.

BTW, I sent an email to Victron and they confirmed that RS 450/100 has EMI filters both on PV and DC/Batt sides. No perfect solution here :((
Agreed, I wanted to use the Schneider SCC because I have other Schneider equipment, but didn't want to spend double just to get arc fault detection.

"Local app" appears to be the product name for their PC software.

Yep, thank you!

I don't feel like that much math at the moment. Have you seen these graphs from midnight. Along other things it looks like the 48v current ratings are actually done at 58 volts.

Yes, called them again and was confirmed on the fact that there is no max PV current per se with these SCCs. Only max PV power and Voltage. Unlike Vicron, that's 18A max per input if I remember correctly. That's great!

With two parallel strings you'd add the current from each string to get the total for the SCC.

Agreed, I wanted to use the Schneider SCC because I have other Schneider equipment, but didn't want to spend double just to get arc fault detection.

I also called Outback as their Flex 100 AFCI meets what I need (except for the total price around $1700 or so with external controller.). But unlike Victron it's also missing EMI filtering and etc.

I'm now currently looking into sound proofing my XW Pro. It's transformer is a bit noisy/vibrating especially on low loads. Thinking about putting some absorbers behind it and maybe attaching something on the right side if it. My EG4 6500x was noisy but that was due to high speed fans. Fan noise is not a problem with XW Pro. Even at ~2-3kW I don't hear any fan noise.

I'm now currently looking into sound proofing my XW Pro. It's transformer is a bit noisy/vibrating especially on low loads. Thinking about putting some absorbers behind it and maybe attaching something on the right side if it. My EG4 6500x was noisy but that was due to high speed fans. Fan noise is not a problem with XW Pro. Even at ~2-3kW I don't hear any fan noise.
I saw that thread. I can work in the garage and the XW pro noise doesn't get annoying until the 3k range. The buzz/hum at 500-1000 watts is pretty tolerable. The 3d printer transmits much more noise into the garage.

I saw that thread. I can work in the garage and the XW pro noise doesn't get annoying until the 3k range. The buzz/hum at 500-1000 watts is pretty tolerable. The 3d printer transmits much more noise into the garage.
Mine is actually almost quite when it's loader at 1kW or higher. It's when the load is below 1kW (like idle or 500W) - that's when I hear transformer! I described it better here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/led-flicker-with-schneider-xw-pro.63753/#post-795284

I wonder if you're base load has awful power factor and the loads you are adding are improving the power factor.

Back