diy solar

diy solar

Schneider XW vs Sol-Ark

I posted my testing in one of the sol-ark 15k threads. TLDR: In off-grid mode, it had no trouble starting my 3Hp well pump (60+ starting amps) with my car already charging at 32A (240V), a 1500W space heater running on one leg, and 3 large chest freezers running.
Deleted. I found it..

Last edited:
I'm so surprised they deleted my comment..

Attachments

• SolarClowns.png
    SolarClowns.png
    892 KB · Views: 94
Schneider, Midnite, and AltE are at the top of my list for long service lift [edit-life] and decent customer service.

Last edited:
I'm so surprised they deleted my comment..
So it was a shell game.
He knew it would do 12KW for 60 seconds but acted so surprised when it handled the power.
Sixty seconds is not going to get your laundry dried and it's not going to fill your compressor!
The dishonesty involved in him not mentioning this as a normal feature and trying to lead people into believing that it will handle these kinds of loads long term is really dishonest.

Oh well scratch Ben off YT my list, I use to like his videos but it's becoming clear that many of these guys are willing to sell out their integrity for free stuff.

So it was a shell game.
He knew it would do 12KW for 60 seconds but acted so surprised when it handled the power.
Sixty seconds is not going to get your laundry dried and it's not going to fill your compressor!
The dishonesty involved in him not mentioning this as a normal feature and trying to lead people into believing that it will handle these kinds of loads long term is really dishonest.

Oh well scratch Ben off YT my list, I use to like his videos but it's becoming clear that many of these guys are willing to sell out their integrity for free stuff.
Yeah I was a subscriber but not after that video.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with either brand. My problem is them flat out lying.

Schneider, Midnite, and AltE are at the top of my list for long service lift [edit-life] and decent customer service.
The Installers I know won't touch Schneider or Outback.
First guy I asked he said the Schneider design is very old and has major bugs that create customers who ring his phone off the hook. Another guy said he had replaced several of them and could get me a good price on a used one. The word "replaced" sent off alarm bells so I just moved on and started looking at SMA.

With Outback the guys I talked to say the product is good and Customer service is good, but they keep promising fixes for bugs and they do not deliver them.

Yeah I was a subscriber but not after that video.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with either brand. My problem is them flat out lying.
The sad part was that Ben was pretty honest up until this point. It felt like he was one of those guys just doing a video now and then to help the community. Why on Earth would he sink down to the level of flat out lying just to get a free Inverter?

Last edited:
@robby my installer was the same way, he told me long ago they used to install whatever the customer asked for, and after using 5 or 6 different brands, they finally told their customers they only installed Sol-Arks because they're the only inverters they don't get call backs because something happened.

So in a grid failure situation, can it still run those loads? I’d be looking to use it for well pump, few led light circuits and internet? When/If everything hits the fan, goal is to get out of the city and to our cabin as quick as possible. Battery conservation will be a must and be able to have the well provide water.
Yes it seemed to handle those loads fine with no grid connection installed

Biggest issue was getting it mounted to the wall. Had to build stilts to walk it over into position. With the midnite e-box, two classic 150 cc's and the backing plate, it was a heavy mother.
Best thing about having a power shed with a fairly tall roll up door: a tractor with front end loader or skid steer (preferably with a set for forks) make lifting heavy things easier.

@robby my installer was the same way, he told me long ago they used to install whatever the customer asked for, and after using 5 or 6 different brands, they finally told their customers they only installed Sol-Arks because they're the only inverters they don't get call backs because something happened.
Yep, the guy who has the Solar store a few miles from my house told me pretty much the same thing. He started out using anything the customer wanted but now he really only pushes Sol-Ark and Fronius Inverters and for commercial Jobs he uses SMA 25KW Inverters.
He is such a wealth of Info, the guy has been at this for about 10 years and he has reached that point where his biggest hindrance is servicing all the systems he has Installed. He is desperately trying to limit service calls by only installing stuff he knows is trouble free.

He told me one day that Installing systems is where he makes money and servicing is where he loses money.

He told me one day that Installing systems is where he makes money and servicing is where he loses money.

Opposite of tractor and heavy equipment dealers then. They tend to make most of their money on service followed by implements and accessories. At least in normal times. Now they can ask for and get MSRP.

I can see the point of a contractor wanting to install a system that just runs, and needs no attention.
Having to go back wastes time and $$$

Reminds me of our heat pump upgrade.
Same deal, HVAC contractors here want to get in, install, get paid, get out.
When I could not patch & repair our 35+ year old R-22 system any more, I obtained quotes from vendors for a modern replacement.
The factory brands (Carrier, Trane, etc) were more $$$ than I had to spend, so I went for the "Supply House" brand, Goodman.
Here, anybody w/ a pickup truck and an account can buy a pile'o Goodman heat pump parts, install them, get paid, and disappear.
I had read many complaints about the quality and reliability.
I downloaded and read the installation manuals, made a quiz, administered to the contractors that came to provide quotes.
None of them could provide the correct answers.
So they were just Gypsies that threw the equipment in place and got paid.
No wonder there were reliability issues, and the resulting bad reputation.

I did not want them doing the install, so I made a deal to buy the Goodman parts and supplies, my son & I installed it all, had them come back and charge it w/ R-410A when we were done.
The Goodman documentation was excellent, and we followed the instructions exactly, took our time. Running perfectly since 2017.

The point is: Schneider might be a similar situation.
When we put in our Schneider system, the bewildering complexity of all the software configurations, firmware upgrades and inter-system compatibility took MUCH time to get it all right.
We took our time, excellent Schneider documentation, responsive tech support, and the generous help of folks on this board have resulted in a very stable and reliable system for us.
Only has been operational for about a year now, so hoping for the best, longer term.
No contractor could possibly charge enough $$$ to spend all the hours we did tuning and tweaking the 938476362 configuration parameters, but as DIY people, we had fun!

The comment section in there haha
I know, there are so many horror stories.
I find Bens own story amusing.

Bens_Comments.jpg

Anyway best of luck to him. I certainly would not switch out a Sol-Ark 12K for a Schneider.
Even if it can handle huge surges for 60 seconds. Events like that are so rare compared to the amount of time you spend in daily operation. Your basically changing out your perfectly running Inverter for that .01% of time when you need a 120V air compressor.

Last edited:
I know, there are so many horror stories.
I find Bens own story amusing.

View attachment 107819

Anyway best of luck to him. I certainly would not switch out a Sol-Ark 12K for a Schneider.
Even if it can handle huge surges for 60 seconds. Events like that are so rare compared to the amount of time you spend in daily operation. Your basically changing out your perfectly running Inverter for that .01% of time when you need a 120V air compressor.
Unsure if he knew about the surge capacity or not and really don’t care but at least there is video proof the XW Pro can handle high 9kw surge for my well pump from a few sources now. I’ve been searching for this evidence for the Sol-Ark 12k and can’t find it and would love to see it as I like the simplicity in the Sol-Ark. Don’t need a 15k and the expense associated with it. Need a system that can be left unattended for weeks at a time and must be able to run the well and other items when needed.

I have a really hard time believing the Sol Ark 12k cannot start that small air compressor. Its a 110v air compressor meaning it can't be exceeding 15a. No way it would be tripping the 12k.

Back