diy solar

diy solar

Seeking advice on a the need for a fire-resistant cabinet for Li-Ion battery

Burning metallic lithium can reach 2000 degrees C which is above the melting point of steel. If we get that far, I think I will be calling my insurance agent and asking about coverage for a total loss.

Throwing water on burning batteries can cause a hydrogen explosion so that doesn't sound like a great idea either.

Sand, lots and lots of sand sounds like a good idea.

Glad I gave up on the idea of using LiNMC cells in my RV and switched to LiFePO4 cells.

I mean we all have to go sometime, but burning up in a completely preventable RV fire is not my idea of a good way to go.

They clearly dropped the entire string into a rain barrel full of water - completely submerged. Not saying it was the right way to deal with it but the vlogger, who is a very well known power-wall 'expert' has suggested this is the only way to deal with a lithium run away.

That would definitely be safer than trying to spray or pour water on to a burning battery.

Thought I would mention this since that is something I would have tried.

I really like the Acme battery ejection catapult idea. Make the trigger out of cannon fuse so there is no question about it letting go if it needs to.

:ROFLMAO:

I am currently examining surplus military engine crates as a possible housing for noisy generators. They typical weigh about 500#, are super heavy duty, and big. They might also be repurposed for battery containment. Look on Gov Planet for examples.

Back