diy solar

diy solar

Seeking recommendations for 1st build on my raw land. SW AZ

PurpleSaguaro

Hello,

I'm currently in NW Tucson, AZ, And seeking advice. I'm exploring sustainable building materials and design ideas for my 4-acre property, just a 10-minute walk from the Saguaro National Park. I would love to use Rammed Earth and passive solar techniques for my main and guest homes, potentially adding a cantina in between. Though my budget may restrain me at first. I'm also interested in other sustainable materials like adobe, clay, straw bale, and lava Crete. My goal is simply to make it as sustainable as possible for my own health and more importantly for the surrounding environment.

My long-term plan includes rainwater harvesting, solar power, and additional eco-friendly features. Keep in mind, my land is mostly untouched desert, with only a small portion cleared by the previous owner. Due to budget constraints, I'll start with either the guest or main home, with expansion in mind. I've got a water meter installed, septic ready for installation, and I'm working on gaining approval for electricity, with a box along the property line. de the property (conveniently located in the middle). Any recommendations for what I should start with in terms of design or materials , or both.

Thank you

Do you have experience building houses and specific training for specialty construction like those you mentioned?

There are videos on YT but those are not a replacement for hands on construction experience.

Most people with basic construction can handle a simple stick built frame structure and I would suggest taking some construction classes or getting hands on experience even for those.

Thanks for your response.

Not very much but I want to learn as much as possible. I’ve been reaching out to sustainable builders in the community to try and hear recommendations.

I did A 3 day rammed earth workshop and learned all I could About building with Rammed Earth from a 81 year old who’s been offering the workshop for over a decade. http://www.rammedearthhomes.com/

I found also found a company, here’s there description

The Idea’l Trade Institute is leading the construction education industry and is the first company to offer a fully integrated ground-up system that trains students in every aspect of home construction. Idea’l has built a comprehensive curriculum that uses the construction of tiny and modular homes to build long-term memories and improve working memories, thus improving the overall quality of life for its graduating students.“

They offer training I could take near by.
I want To learn as much as I can Do whatever I can Myself. But I’m also in a little under 9 months away from having to have something for my girlfriend and I to Live in before she moves down. So that’s my urgency. We don’t need anything to bud to start.

Thanks for any advice.

I did straw bale and appreciate the qualities of that construction but there are certain factors to deal with. Doubtful you could save money doing it these days.

Yesterday we ordered another 20 foot shipping container. Even though the price is up it can answer some needs for storage. Making it livable would probably not be cheap and is not ideal.

Are you willing to rough it in the beginning?

While I don't have much desert experience, everyone around me (including myself) in southern colorado that have built on raw land has loosely followed this kind of pattern:

1. get sitework & utilities done (roads, septic, water, power, site fuel like propane, etc.)
2. get some minimal utility building in place, to protect power, water (ultimately, your critical solar gear)
3. get some minimal structure in place, to live in ... this becomes your guest house
4. then, and only then, start building "the main house"

Note that 2 & 3 will give you building experience on a small scale, and/or you can purchase many small buildings that serve these functions, if deadlines (& girlfriends) are bearing down on you.

Rarely do folks do a site plan and really figure out where things need to go, so the services flow into and out of each other, but if possible, make ...

0. site planning

... be first on your list. It is at this point that you can start thinking about how your land & homestead will be developed for the long term. If you want your mind blown at this planning stage, also look into "permaculture", which gives you a process for developing the land not only for a homestead, but for producing food in balance with nature, even in the desert climate.

It's a journey for anyone ... but planning always seems to make it easier, and there are less "oops" moments down the line.

Hope this helps ...

I lived in Tucson in 79/80… gave away 80 acres near phoenix… had family with a copper mine near there.
Fond memories of the place.
It is a fun area, but can be unforgiving weather… heck, we even got a snowstorm that winter! I think it accumulated 1/16” of snow before the sun came up…

The training concept of "Idea'L Trade Institute" is interesting ... still trying to find all the details on it. Apparently, the company builds small "modular" homes (in a factory), for backyard offices, guest homes, etc. Similar to a shed company, and somewhat like a Tiny Home on Wheels builder. Minimum $17k for a basic shell.

They'll help you build one (in their factory?), and you get to take it with you when you've completed it. Sounds like a good way to keep production up in their factory.

Kind of like a Solar Generator ... get one from these folks for $17k on up, or build one yourself for a 1/4 of the price or less, if you are DIY handy.

Back