diy solar

diy solar

Selecting Panels..Solar4America or Silfab?

Griddownprepper

I’ve been searching for panels to power my 2 EF Delta Pros and batteries. I am limited by a few factors:
The space available on my garage roof, approx 22x22.
Need (2) 1600w +/- arrays. I figure 8 400w +/- panels
Ability to pick them up within a couple hundred miles to avoid astronomical shipping costs and apparently risk of shipping damage for low quantity of panels.
And, of course, cost.
What I’ve been able to find that fall within my parameters are 410w panels from S4A and Silfab. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with either of these company’s panels? Thanks much!

avoid astronomical shipping costs
What locale are you?

I had some good name panels shipped from Utah for someone I’m ‘helping’ were priced such that with shipping they were about the same $/W as the “50% off” panels at a local (Vermont) electrical supply house. And the electrical supply house offers nothing in the form of support, whereas the Utah company does.
A local “solar supplier” won’t discount anything even when asked and their “big” panels were 40%+ more than a quote for some mail order panels from the same manufacturer including shipping.
That was for brand new panels, too.

I’d look around the phonebook for anything within a couple hours drive who might have new panels at a reasonable price. I have bought leftover brand new panels for ~$0.40/watt on marketplace (when that was a steal! Now that’s more common).

I’d want to do some research before buying from a company with an awkward name like “Solar 4 America” because you can buy Canadian Solar, REC, the “Q” brand I forget, Hawei, others pretty low priced these days. And their focus is on their brand marketing, not emotionally swayed altruistic-sounding “for America” that wreaks disingenuously. Maybe they’re fine?
But a big solid company with a 50-year vision with a warranty is better than a private-label speculative importer of commodities they didn’t design themselves but just used an Amex to buy a container full.

Imho, YMMV

Back