diy solar

diy solar

Senville Aura 24k Heating Results

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Last night/this morning was the first true test of my Senville 24k heating our cabin (monitoring remotely). It's installed on our main level which also has a loft, total main/loft level size is 1050sqft. I had the 6 electric baseboards set to 50F (backup) and the mini-split set to 67F. Got down to 18F outside by 7am ET. At that time the Senville was able to keep up but seemed like it was in a defrost cycle (peaks up to 3300 watt) which allowed the inside temp to dip down a few degrees. Outside of the peaks AFTER the 6am timeframe, average usage was around 1200 watts.

Other interesting results for 10/31maintaining 67F main level/loft (mini split only) and lower (electric baseboard only) from 12am-11:59pm:
  1. Main Level (with loft) w/Mini Split (1050sqft): 17.6kWh
  2. Lower Level w/Electric Baseboard (825sqft): 54kWh
Think I need to make plans for a mini split on the lower level quickly :)
1698858759328.png

Last night/this morning was the first true test of my Senville 24k heating our cabin (monitoring remotely). It's installed on our main level which also has a loft, total main/loft level size is 1050sqft. I had the 6 electric baseboards set to 50F (backup) and the mini-split set to 67F. Got down to 18F outside by 7am ET. At that time the Senville was able to keep up but seemed like it was in a defrost cycle (peaks up to 3300 watt) which allowed the inside temp to dip down a few degrees. Outside of the peaks AFTER the 6am timeframe, average usage was around 1200 watts.

Other interesting results for 10/31maintaining 67F main level/loft (mini split only) and lower (electric baseboard only) from 12am-11:59pm:
  1. Main Level (with loft) w/Mini Split (1050sqft): 17.6kWh
  2. Lower Level w/Electric Baseboard (825sqft): 54kWh
Think I need to make plans for a mini split on the lower level quickly :)
View attachment 175554
So it runs a defrost cycle once every 30 minutes?

That's about what I'd expect to see at that temperature. You will find the outside humidity affects the frequency of defrosting somewhat as well as how cold it has to be for defrosting to be needed at all.

That's why I love geothermal, no defrost!
I was always intrigued by geothermal, then a guy at work was having one installed and told me the electrician was looking for a spot in his panel for a 50 amp breaker! I can't imagine anything in a residential setting that requires a 50 amp breaker being efficient.

I was always intrigued by geothermal, then a guy at work was having one installed and told me the electrician was looking for a spot in his panel for a 50 amp breaker! I can't imagine anything in a residential setting that requires a 50 amp breaker being efficient.
Size the equipment for the load. It won't need any more or less than anything else. Our typical system years ago was 36000 btu's on a 30 amp breaker. Running load amps was around 15.

Why? If you can drive a delivery truck to it you can install a system.
To expensive to blast through the rock if it needs to be more than 24” down. Well pump pitless adapter is 8ft below grade due to freezing so assume it has to be at least that deep.

To expensive to blast through the rock if it needs to be more than 24” down. Well pump pitless adapter is 8ft below grade due to freezing so assume it has to be at least that deep.
Well they have rotary drills that drill right through that rock and install vertical loops. My area is horizontal loops but south of us is almost all vertical because of rock.

Well they have rotary drills that drill right through that rock and install vertical loops. My area is horizontal loops but south of us is almost all vertical because of rock.
Interesting. Didn’t know about verticals loops. Might rethink this before I install second mini split.

That's why I love geothermal, no defrost!
I'm thinking of burying a couple 4 inch PVC pipes in my yard. Have the outlet right at the heat pump condenser inlet side of the fan, maybe even a pusher on the other end.

Poor man's heat pump........... :ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking of burying a couple 4 inch PVC pipes in my yard. Have the outlet right at the heat pump condenser inlet side of the fan, maybe even a pusher on the other end.

Better make them 6" and really looooog

Better make them 6" and really looooog
It actually was studied and found to work. Larger pipe isn't the answer according to research, longer tubes of smaller diameter worked best.

Earth tubes are an interesting subject, saw a video yesterday where tubes were 250 feet long, 8 feet deep, he had a small structure at the inlet to keep snow out and at the inlets of the tubes was a screen and a filter. Fans were on the other end. Air coming out of the tubes ranged from 56F to 60F. Not bad.

There was a guy in Nebraska who built his green house heat this way....grew oranges in Nebraska...

Senville 24k Aura is still cranking. Have set point at 68 but temp is hovering around 63. Need to leave the damn ceiling fans on at the cabin, bet most of the heat is up in the 16 ft ceiling (head unit at 9ft from ground). Outdoor temp low in this graph was 13.3 degrees. Power peaks in the 3.2kw range.

1703090920939.png

Back