diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

NIce, could you provide details on the breaker/switch you are using?
I can see that it is 100A. What brand and where did you buy it from please?
Kid

Great looking build and inspiration. Did you just use the wiring block on the balance leads for extra length?

That is a 150 or 200 amp BMS with AWG6 wire. What are your thoughts on that?
It's 150A BMS. I use AWG6 wire for short connection between Battery - BMS - CB - terminal. I use AWG3 wire for 2 m. cables from batt. terminal to inverter.

Hi all, official update from Seplos on my faulty unit. diode D4 is faulty on units produced before August 2021 as there was a bad batch of components installed. I have checked with a DVM and indeed its gone open circuit both ways. Their resolution is to send me a load of SMD didoes to repair myself which I'm not too happy about to be honest but I'm capable of doing so, others maybe not so. Also it concerns me from a warranty perspective as once I have soldered new components on the board where does my warranty stand? Also the board is covered in a thin epoxy/potting compound that needs to be removed carefully before remvoing or even testing the components.

Original email from support quoted

hello,

"D4" has broken down. Before August, there was a batch of BMS "D4" because of the shortage of electronic materials, and the raw material suppliers because of the unstable supply channels, which caused the "D4" unqualified rate to increase. You can rest assured, we will be responsible.

Can you provide the model of your BMS and who sold it to you?

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Link Liu
Hello friend,
How value of diode D4? and how do you see date of produce BMS?
Date odd my photo is July 23th?

Great video Ray! Are you going by the silk screened date on the PCB or by some numbers on one of the labels when determining if the unit is part of the suspect batches.
Thanks,
Kid

The date of manufacture is on the BMS. Prior to August they are suspect. The company says they think they will only fail in rare cases of high demand and unbalanced power(whatever that means) and will only fail in .3% of cases. Time will tell. This forum is a good barometer if you take into consideration members that only join because they have a problem. That will skew the perceived failure ratio.
Thats good to know, since I have 6 of them on the way.

I've made a video about the repair process for the Seplos BMS and the communication process involved in getting it addressed.
Did they give you a part number on the diodes? I am going to get a better soldering iron just in case.?

I have kind of fallen out of this thread, but has anyone gotten one of these to successfully communicate with an MPP unit?

I have kind of fallen out of this thread, but has anyone gotten one of these to successfully communicate with an MPP unit?
not directly...
had a solution going on using a raspi, but that hasnt very stable.
have trying to push seplos to update their firmware, so it will talk the pylontec protocol over 1 of the rs485 ports, but so far nothing.

i contacted voltronics, as my inverters documentation stated the bms port is a dual CANBUS and rs485.
they confirmed it was, but stated the CANBUS for now is "reserved".

currently looking in to a commercial rs485 to CANBUS , developed in south africa , specificly for voltronics to canbus battery comms.
it's about 60 euro ( 70 USD) and made by bonanza tech

Back