diy solar

diy solar

Series Parallel 36 volts nominal Lipo Batteries correct and economical setup

Herb

Hello everyone! just wondering if I can get some help on setting up a series parallel 36 volts nominal lipo battery bank, I have 6 100ah Chins lipo batteries and want to set them up for 36 volts nominal so looking for specifics on wiring, AWG recommended, and overall in the most economic way, maybe shorter wires, less wiring, not many unnecessary bells and whistles but yeah safety first and always. A diagram would be highly appreciated. I have seen set ups for 48 volts and 24 volts but not many on 36 volts. Thanks in advance for the assist.

Assuming that you have 12v batteries. You would put 3 in series. Then the other 3 in series. Then the two sets in parallel. You will have to check the specs on your batteries to see if they can be put in series.
Personally, I would never put batteries with individual BMS's in series. But, some people have gotten by doing it.

Thanks for the reply, I saw a nice video of something like what you are saying and I went with it, so far so good is working great, I made 2 series strings for 36 volts each and then paralleled them, I used 2 buss bars one on each end + and - with a center conductor. I checked the voltages and all 6 are right on the money after a full discharge, I also checked with the manufacturer and they sent me the settings for everything and said you can series them no problem, and to monitor the voltages of each battery, also it be beneficial to do a maintenance charge every 6 months or so depending on the usage. I ran a split AC unit for a few days during the hottest hours of the day and the smart shunt reads 12kw discharged from them, when I first got them I did a full charge individually and got 110ah out of each right on the money. But the AC is a 12k BTU unit and it ran for about 5-7 hours for about 3 days, temps here reached 105F today! Last night we had an outage for about 2 hours and the house got pretty hot, thanks GOD we had that little AC unit to cool off a little. I hope they give me good service for a long time, the other battery bank is 5 years old and still kicking it pretty good, capacity still above of what is expected for their age but only use them for emergencies and hot summers to supplement electricity normally my bill is around 12 USD, this month was 23 USD but we are having record temps this year. I do have an Enphase IQ PV system and keeps my monthly bill low, but when the power goes out I have to use the batteries.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back