diy solar

diy solar

Series string shading summed up in 4 pictures

Sounds like you have enough 2.0 content lined up for a while. Not a bad problem to have as a creator...
Oh that's the worst problem in my opinion. I want to kill myself when I make the same video a second time ? I need to keep progressing to better equipment with more features. Not stuck on topics that I've made multiple videos on. I don't know how many times I can repeat myself. I feel like a broken record at times.

You could however arrange those strings such that the bottom half of one of the strings is shaded and you'd get much better results even under shading conditions due to that modules design (forget the term, split cell?)
This issue is only present for about an hour and the output during this time is awful. I would have to chop down a wall and livestock shade. Absolutely not worth it at all. I just add more panels and capture more when the sun is overhead. I do not want to tear down my backyard for low angled sun. Not worth it at all.

Reactions: Tym
Would be nice for someone to post their evidence of series string being better than parallel configuration for shading. Please challenge my position! I have done this test many times now and the results are the same everytime. I even covered this in older solar panel test videos. Same results, every time.

I changed my panels from series to parallel strings originally to avoid frying my AIO inverter charge controller as the temps got close to freezing in the fall. I realized the additional benefit when my production jumped way up even on partly cloudy days. Partial shading was killing my output previously.

Oh that's the worst problem in my opinion. I want to kill myself when I make the same video a second time ? I need to keep progressing to better equipment with more features. Not stuck on topics that I've made multiple videos on. I don't know how many times I can repeat myself. I feel like a broken record at times.
FWIW, I watch a (successful) Youtube channel periodically that has updates twice a week and often hits the same topics over and over again. The reality is that "current" is more useful for people to find things than older content that does deep dives. It is less like a book and more like a newspaper.

Structurally, the right way to do it today is to have an intro that links to old content to make it easier to have a "newsletter" with some interesting stuff, and help people find a deeper dive in other videos. I don't think it is your style... but it is the easiest way to maintain channel relevance.

I changed my panels from series to parallel strings originally to avoid frying my AIO inverter charge controller as the temps got close to freezing in the fall. I realized the additional benefit when my production jumped way up even on partly cloudy days. Partial shading was killing my output previously.

What is the system voltage, what VOC are you operating at, and what kind of panels are you using?

I've covered this before actually. People don't want my older videos sadly. People keep requesting me make videos I've already made and it's driving me bananas lol

This is fair. I've been watching you YT channel for about two years. I'll have to dig further back. Might be worth pinning some of those older videos in your descriptions for new videos as "Throwback" link or something to drive re-engagement?

What is the system voltage, what VOC are you operating at, and what kind of panels are you using?
err... see post #18 ;)

Would be nice for someone to post their evidence of series string being better than parallel configuration for shading. Please challenge my position! I have done this test many times now and the results are the same everytime. I even covered this in older solar panel test videos. Same results, every time.

I have a client with 36 x 100w panels in 4s3p config across 3 small Victron SCCs. I'll do some cardboard testing the next time I'm out there.

Looks like some of your panels could do with a bit of cleaning. Time for the hose and long handled squeegee.

Only downside I see to paralleling panels is cost. Wire, fuses, controllers. Hidden benefit, you can keep it safer voltage wise.
Absolutely. In my book I have a configuration that is series and parallel, so there is still some benefit of mppt, less copper, and still running at a relatively safe voltage for beginners. And parallel strings enable people to configure panels around things that like to shade panels on the roof of RVs, such as air conditioner units.

Looks like some of your panels could do with a bit of cleaning. Time for the hose and long handled squeegee.
I need to make a video about this. I cleaned my 16.3 kW array a couple months ago and the increase was insignificant. It really depends on what type of dust or pollen is in your area. Some place is need a lot of cleaning on their panels. Out here in Vegas, it doesn't make that big of a difference. I do like to clean them for the videos though.

Last edited:
Absolutely. In my book I have a configuration that is series and parallel, so there is still some benefit of mppt, less copper, and still running at a relatively safe voltage for beginners. And parallel strings enable people to configure panels around things that like to shade panels on the roof of RVs, such as air conditioner units.

Yeah, the best part about paralleling panels is you can stick them all over the place. Any angle that works, shaded part of the day or not. Anywhere they fit and can gather up some sun.

I need to make a video about this. I cleaned my 16.3 kW array a couple months ago in the increase was insignificant. It really depends on what type of dust or pollen is in your area. Some place is need a lot of cleaning on their panels. Out here in Vegas, it doesn't make that big of a difference. I do like to clean them for the videos though.

I've never cleaned mine. Bird poo was the biggest risk, until I mounted the bird spikes. The occasional rain and winds keep them "clean."

1679596700656.png

EDIT: The bastards would just perch up on the top frame and just let loose. The third one to the right had just been installed, so no poo. Now they all have the spikes and look like the rightmost string.

Last edited:
Back