diy solar

diy solar

Server rack batteries in an RV?

Mike Jordan

Solar Enthusiast
Has anyone installed the EG4 server rack batteries in an RV? If so do you have pictures? Im looking for mounting ideas
Screenshot 2021-12-28 170530.jpg

Reactions: Dzl
We have not yet, but my initial idea is to have a plywood box with low profile metal unitstrut mounted horizontally front to back on left and right sides (like a ladder) to support the batteries. This way the batteries can slide out for repair or replacement. Might even make a shelf at top or bottom for inverter and other parts wired with a little extra length so it can be pulled out for service. Inverter is probably going on the bottom so the heat generated will keep the batteries warmer.

Last edited:
Working on it. I have a good amount of room in a 5th wheel pass-thru compartment. Rerouting some plumbing and existing wires first. Compartment is also tied to the rig's HVAC system. 3 EG4s will certainly fit. The 3 unit rack is basically a 24" cube and it can easily fit in the compartment now. But I'm hoping to retain the pass thru function of the compartment by getting the batteries tucked back in a large wasted spot the manufacturer used for cheap and messy plumbing/wiring.

Still waiting on the batteries.

Working on it. I have a good amount of room in a 5th wheel pass-thru compartment. Rerouting some plumbing and existing wires first. Compartment is also tied to the rig's HVAC system. 3 EG4s will certainly fit. The 3 unit rack is basically a 24" cube and it can easily fit in the compartment now. But I'm hoping to retain the pass thru function of the compartment by getting the batteries tucked back in a large wasted spot the manufacturer used for cheap and messy plumbing/wiring.

Still waiting on the batteries.
Yea, I was looking at that rack. Looks nice n beefy.... and pricey. And 24 cubed does sound nice. But... you do, or do not plan to use the rack?

Yea, I was looking at that rack. Looks nice n beefy.... and pricey. And 24 cubed does sound nice. But... you do, or do not plan to use the rack?
I'll use the rack. Certainly while assembling and testing the system. I think it will fit tucked in but it's close. For sure it fits if I sacrifice the pass thru of the compartment. There is a possibility that the rack gets cannibalized if I looks to fit tucked in some other shape than the intended cube. I want ability to easily remove the batteries that a rack built for them allows.
Hopefully without modifications. Worse case it blocks off the pass thru compartment.

One note of caution - Make sure you trust the rackmount "ears" on the battery to handle the loads. A deep cabinet mounted by just the front edge will put considerable bending torque on both the edges of the battery's front panel and the rack rails to which it's mounted, and the rack screws will carry a big load in both shear and tension.

Using a drawer-type setup that includes a rear support might be a good idea. This thing is going to be bouncing down the road.

Has anyone installed the EG4 server rack batteries in an RV? If so do you have pictures? Im looking for mounting ideas
View attachment 77462
I can get you server rack sliding rails cheap. We recycle hundreds of servers and racks monthly. That case is probable already drilled and tapped for rails to be mounted. Build a cabinet the proper width, mount the other half of the rails in the cabinet, and the batteries will "rack right in." I'm thinking of using some to make a couple of slide-out solar panels.

A valid caution. I've lived in mine full time the last 4 years. 2 years of moving the rolling earthquake around. It's been planted the last 2 years and only have one more move of about 100 miles to some property after a late 2023 retirement. It's closer to a residential system.

Anyone planning to move often might be better served with the marine grade EG4 fastened in very solid.

A valid caution. I've lived in mine full time the last 4 years. 2 years of moving the rolling earthquake around. It's been planted the last 2 years and only have one more move of about 100 miles to some property after a late 2023 retirement. It's closer to a residential system.

Anyone planning to move often might be better served with the marine grade EG4 fastened in very solid.
That's so true, and one needs rubber pots, pans, and dishes.

Ebay has some surplus US military shocked protected server racks / cases if you got a big RV to fit them and want extra protection.

One note of caution - Make sure you trust the rackmount "ears" on the battery to handle the loads. A deep cabinet mounted by just the front edge will put considerable bending torque on both the edges of the battery's front panel and the rack rails to which it's mounted, and the rack screws will carry a big load in both shear and tension.

Using a drawer-type setup that includes a rear support might be a good idea. This thing is going to be bouncing down the road.
The EG rack supports the batteries fully along the length of both sides. If I was building I would do the same

The manual states “No Vibration”, so that would rule them out
The oil and gas industry has what they call Seismic trucks filled with servers carefully installed, and the trucks jack themselves upon gigantic magnets that vibrate the ground for ultrasonic views of the strata below. They can also pick up the vibrations of explosive charges set deep in the earth to geologically map the strata looking for pockets of oil. So, it can be done with those batteries though I'd make a different battery choice, but that's me. It will cost more to mount them than you might be saved by a long shot.

The oil and gas industry has what they call Seismic trucks filled with servers carefully installed, and the trucks jack themselves upon gigantic magnets that vibrate the ground for ultrasonic views of the strata below. They can also pick up the vibrations of explosive charges set deep in the earth to geologically map the strata looking for pockets of oil. So, it can be done with those batteries though I'd make a different battery choice, but that's me. It will cost more to mount them than you might be saved by a long shot.
The equipment is also designed for vibrations yes?

Back