diy solar

diy solar

Set-up suggestions for running computer+router doing power outages

Chargul Froppins

Hi. I live in a backwoods area that is suddenly getting regular power outages (10 in the last 6 months versus only one in the 9 years preceding that). This is a hassle, since I freelance from home and have to send and receive files through the Internet.

I would like to set up a solar panel just big enough to run a laptop and a router during power outages (which usually last 1 to 2 hours but occasionally as much as 5).
Not sure exactly what's available, but I picture setting up a modest-sized panel on my sun-facing balcony or perhaps even on the sun-facing roof and then connecting that to an indoor converter that I could plug my computer equipment into during a power outage.

I know that full-blown solar setups can run into the tens of thousands but I'd like to think that my more modest goals could be accomplished for hundreds of dollars rather than thousands. All I need to power is a laptop, a modem and a router.

Any ideas on setting up such a backup power system would be greatly appreciated.

Why not just get an uninterruptible power supply for your router?

A laptop should have enough battery to comfortably last for some hours without being plugged in while even a small residential plug in UPS device keeps our router going for ~2 hours during an outage, and you can just get a larger one if you need it to last longer.

Eaton, APC, Cyberpower are the sort of brands which make these devices.

Or a smaller Bluetti or EcoFlow unit would also have quite a decent amount of backup power:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did purchase a non-solar backup battery almost 10 years ago, which promised me over five or six hours of backup but never seemed to work for more than 45 minutes, and eventually gave up altogether. I'm sure that today's batteries work much better than that, however, especially at the higher end.

So my main problem (of downtime) appears to be solved, so thanks again for the info and links.

In the long run, for environmental reasons, however, I'd like to have a seamless system which would give me a few AC outlets in my house that are powered exclusively by solar (with no manually recharging batteries). These outlets would only be used for my computer/router and some LED strip lighting so I wouldn't imagine they would require a large array of solar panels, especially since my rooftop is facing the sun every day until late afternoon.

So, again, the "current" problem is solved for now, but if someone has ideas about going "seamlessly solar" when it comes to powering my computer and LED strip lighting, I'd appreciate any ideas.

Look through the off grid inverter section of the Forum. Depending on your loads you could go as simple as Solar panel => SCC (solar charge controller)=> battery => inverter. The inverter would have a few AC plugs on it. Getting more complex would be an off grid hybrid inverter setup feeding a critical load panel.

Some folks would advise staying DC for items like computers and lights. Solar panel=> SCC=>battery=>computer/lights

I would just get a large battery, mid-size inverter and small charger to top up the battery when the power is on.

Battery: SOK 206 Ah 12v $1029
Inverter: GoPower 700w sine wave inverter. $340
Charger: 15 amp PowerMax charger. $130

The battery can be charged and set aside for when needed. Pull it out of the closet and connect when needed.

Ok to swap for value priced items but maybe post your selection before click-n-buy to verify all is compatible.

Solar can be added later if needed or desired to extend the run time. A second battery would also extend the run time.

In the long run, for environmental reasons, however, I'd like to have a seamless system which would give me a few AC outlets in my house that are powered exclusively by solar (with no manually recharging batteries). These outlets would only be used for my computer/router and some LED strip lighting so I wouldn't imagine they would require a large array of solar panels, especially since my rooftop is facing the sun every day until late afternoon.
Nothing like a good bit of scope creep :)

The first thing to do is an energy audit.

Get a plug in power/energy monitor and find out how much energy the items you wish to power actually require. Test them over multiple days, a week even of normal usage.

As to solutions, there are many and varied options right through to a solar PV + battery + inverter/charge controller powering your entire home or a critical loads panel for selected circuits and using your home's existing wiring / power outlets. It can operate as grid power normally but cut over immediately to backup supply, or from solar & battery normally and use the grid as backup if the battery charge gets too low.

So. Many. Options.

I would use an inverter / charger, LiFePO4, solar charge controller, and however much solar / battery capacity you feel is appropriate given your sun, location, panel orientation, and recharging goals. That would keep the amount of equipment small, and simple, as well as allow your parts to be changed out individually.

Basically, you plug the inverter/charger into the wall and the battery, your router and computer would plug into the inverter, and the SCC would go on the battery.

Like stated above, there's tons of ways to do what you want though.

diy solar

diy solar
Back