diy solar

diy solar

Settings wrong on JK?

Bleedingblue

Solar Enthusiast
I replaced 6 of my overkill BMSs with JK 48v 150A 2Amp because of the out-of balance the cells were with the over kills.

In all I have 10 of the JKs 4 of them on 304AH Envisions

6 on 280AH Eve

On the 6 280AH I replaced the BMSs between Saturday and today. Of the 3 that I replaced Saturday and Sunday and got going they are working fine today. Charging the cells up and I guess balancing them out.

The other 3 banks I replaced this morning. When I flipped the breakers and went into the BMS to initiate charge and discharge it will not charge.
Instead I'm getting a warning of charge over current on all 3 of them. Apparently it cannot handle the current coming into the cells from the inverters. Don't know why either. The other cells were still charging although getting almost full.

By looking at the settings it seems from the factory the charge current is set at 25 amps?? Is this correct? Is this all the current the BMS can handle? Can I raise the amps up and be perfectly fine?

Is there any other settings that needs modified?

Screenshot_20240205_133804_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240205_133810_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240205_133824_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240205_133833_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240205_133839_BMS.jpg

By looking at the settings it seems from the factory the charge current is set at 25 amps?? Is this correct? Is this all the current the BMS can handle? Can I raise the amps up and be perfectly fine?
I would set it to 1/2 the amps of the battery. The BMS should be able to pass through charge and discharge at the same rate (150 amps). For health of the battery, I wouldn't charge faster then 0.50c for the health of the battery.

I raised the charge current on mine, it was set to like 25A by default on a 200A JK and I have a 60A charger. I set it to 200A and its been charging perfectly. For my EVE 304's I set Cell OVP to 3.65. Otherwise, it would shut down charging too early with over volt protection triggered.

Ok thanks for the input guys. When I get home I'm going to change the charging current on all 10 units

The voltage difference between the batteries in use and those that were being upgraded tripped the over current when you bought them together. If you have the 150 amp version JK, you should be able to set the charge current to 75 and it should be safe there for continuous use at that level. Don’t forget to reset the ridiculous default low temperature protect and recovery settings.

The voltage difference between the batteries in use and those that were being upgraded tripped the over current when you bought them together. If you have the 150 amp version JK, you should be able to set the charge current to 75 and it should be safe there for continuous use at that level. Don’t forget to reset the ridiculous default low temperature protect and recovery settings.

I saw the -20 Celsius setting lol.

Here is something I didn't understand battery pack no where near full with the bms cutting amps off and other packs still charging with a lot of amps at 100%

Screenshot_20240206_124408_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240206_124437_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240206_124503_BMS.jpg

Also I changed the settings on the low end . Didn't want my batteries going to 0. So i raised it up a little. My BMSs apparently have different software.
What do you guys think of those settings Screenshot_20240206_002800_BMS.jpgScreenshot_20240206_003822_BMS.jpg

Here is something I didn't understand battery pack no where near full with the bms cutting amps off and other packs still charging with a lot of amps at 100%
It doesn’t look like the bms cut off. Looks like one battery tops off first. Different, age, type cells, state of charge and/or too small/different length cables. 100mv might be a bit more difference than I’d expect with only a 27amp draw on the other two. It might just take a couple cycles to make them play together.

My parallel banks do the same thing. Andy talks about this with his paralleled batteries in this vid

It doesn’t look like the bms cut off. Looks like one battery tops off first. Different, age, type cells, state of charge and/or too small/different length cables. 100mv might be a bit more difference than I’d expect with only a 27amp draw on the other two. It might just take a couple cycles to make them play together.

I got all the cables the same length for equal charging. This particular string is around a year newer and has welded on posts compared to the screw in posts on the other 280s.

This is now day 3 of it charging and balancing
Full sun at noon. All other batteries are at 100%

Screenshot_20240207_120650_BMS.jpg

Last edited:
My parallel banks do the same thing. Andy talks about this with his paralleled batteries in this vid

And he didn't understand why either. I've watched that video before. What mine is doing is just not charging. Other batteries are at 99% full and still pumping in 30 and 40 amps each and this one sits on 79% and hasn't moved in a couple days now. Says charging but very little current going in. Even when other batteries are topped off and plenty of sunshine outside still no current of any sort to mention is going into the batteries.

I was thinking there was a cell that was spiking up triggering the BMS to think bank is full or something. That's why you see the 2 amps being pulled from one cell going into another.
You would think that after a little bit it would start charging again

And he didn't understand why either. I've watched that video before. What mine is doing is just not charging. Other batteries are at 99% full and still pumping in 30 and 40 amps each and this one sits on 79% and hasn't moved in a couple days now. Says charging but very little current going in. Even when other batteries are topped off and plenty of sunshine outside still no current of any sort to mention is going into the batteries.

I was thinking there was a cell that was spiking up triggering the BMS to think bank is full or something. That's why you see the 2 amps being pulled from one cell going into another.
You would think that after a little bit it would start charging again
If you turn off charging of one of the two charging BMS, will the third non charging pick up, or will all current go to the other charging BMS?

If you turn off charging of one of the two charging BMS, will the third non charging pick up, or will all current go to the other charging BMS?

It won't charge beyond 79%. Even If the other batteries are topped off at 100% it could take 19kw of power but will only take but a couple amps and not charge any more.

At noon I cut off the discharge and lowered the balance to 3.40. It had a draw on the battery while the other banks were at 98-99% and charging with 15-20 amps each. When I left for work it was still at same place 79%

Screenshot_20240208_114441_BMS.jpg

Screenshot_20240208_131905_BMS.jpg

Don't know how much charging I'll get in the next week. Supposed to be cloudy and rainy for several days

I'm still learning this stuff, but wouldn't that low battery have calibrated its soc at 100% with that one cell so high? Seems like with both your high and low cells in the range they are showing, that battery is charged, and should be 100% soc.

Back