diy solar

diy solar

Shaded Panels - Catamaran Boom

ArranP

Follow two layouts for solar panels, I have attempted to demonstrate the shading when the boom is on the left and when the boom is on the right side.

I am uncertain of the best possible configuration in terms of strings and parallel.

I have 4 mppt charge controllers, more can be add more if need be. Panels are 500w 1.2m x 2.1m

Screenshot 2021-12-12 182031.png

Screenshot 2021-12-12 182019.png

Thank you for your comments.

Get rid of that old school sail mast boom configuration and switch to a flettner rotor. (negligible seriousness)boat
Has anybody tried mounting the panels like the outriggers on a shrimp boat? Or slide out the panels off the roof of the cabin like cabinet drawers or garage doors?
Don"t some cat owners mount the panels on a stainless steel tubing structure the extends off the back(sometimes called stern) of the boat? Panels mounted on a track mounted to stainless steel tubing that can be slid off the back of the boat or onto the roof of cabin?

I rigged 2x 80w panels off the stern and now have 1 x 120w on the bimini and tie the boom off to starboard
when on my mooring .
2x aluminium tube mounts were also useful for hanigng the rib from .

Attachments

• Wild Honey at anchor.jpg
    Wild Honey at anchor.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 9
@ArranP,
I would look at it from a different angle: You outlined the maximal shade coverage from the boom while sailing.
BUT: Most of the time you are probably not sailing but at anchor / mooring / marina. Therefor you need to map out the shading of the boom when not sailing. E.g. centered or swung out to one side. I would use that to map out where the panels will go.
Probably the best place is over the dinghy davids. Plus you can cover where there is no shade from the boom:
1639413909235.png

Back