diy solar

diy solar

Shaded Panels- is parallel or series better?

Sage

If solar panels are subjected to partial shade on different panels throughout the day is it better to have them connected in parallel or series? Which will lose the least amount of energy to the SCC?

Parallel. A single shaded panel in series compromises all panels in the series.

That said, your panel Vmp voltage input into the SCC should be >50% higher than battery voltage or within the MPPT range for your SCC.

To reiterate, since SHADING is a major concern, parallel is your best option.

Ha ha is it a major concern or just a question ?

Your call, but the question was posed solely in the context of shading and minimal energy loss, I don't see how one could conclude otherwise:

If solar panels are subjected to partial shade on different panels throughout the day is it better to have them connected in parallel or series? Which will lose the least amount of energy to the SCC?

Doesn't the use of bypass diodes reduce the problem of having a panel shaded when connected in series?

If they didn't have bypass diodes, shading a single cell would chop production by 90%. Different panels are more and less effective at it, but you need a bypass diode on every single cell for maximum benefit. Few (if any) do that.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I want a clearer answer to this question myself. I'm finding on multiple websites (including here) that in a series configuration, shading one panel drops the output of the other panels as well. In practice, this is not what I am seeing. I have 3x100W solar panels for a 12V system using a Victron MPPT controller. When shading one panel, the MPPT controller reduces the voltage and I am left with full output from the other 2 panels. Would it be any better in a parallel configuration?

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I want a clearer answer to this question myself. I'm finding on multiple websites (including here) that in a series configuration, shading one panel drops the output of the other panels as well. In practice, this is not what I am seeing. I have 3x100W solar panels for a 12V system using a Victron MPPT controller. When shading one panel, the MPPT controller reduces the voltage and I am left with full output from the other 2 panels. Would it be any better in a parallel configuration?

What you are seeing is the action of the bypass diodes. For controlled situations like you describe where notable shading takes out a significant portion of the panel, they work very well. Partial and variable shading can yield erratic results. Performance is also a function of the quality of the MPPT algorithm.

Example:

3 100V panels

Panels 1 and 2 can output 6A, but partial shading reduces #3 to 2A.

In the series config, there are two choices:

1) maintain voltage and reduce current to 2A for all three panels
2) cut the underperforming portions of the panel out of the circuit by reducing voltage and allowing 6A to flow from unshaded/partially shaded panels.

In the 3P config, you'd get 6A/Vmp from the two unshaded panels AND 2A/Vmp from the shaded panel.

What you are seeing is the action of the bypass diodes. For controlled situations like you describe where notable shading takes out a significant portion of the panel, they work very well. Partial and variable shading can yield erratic results. Performance is also a function of the quality of the MPPT algorithm.

Example:

3 100V panels

Panels 1 and 2 can output 6A, but partial shading reduces #3 to 2A.

In the series config, there are two choices:

1) maintain voltage and reduce current to 2A for all three panels
2) cut the underperforming portions of the panel out of the circuit by reducing voltage and allowing 6A to flow from unshaded/partially shaded panels.

In the 3P config, you'd get 6A/Vmp from the two unshaded panels AND 2A/Vmp from the shaded panel.

Awesome thank you! So with your 3 example panels where 1 is shaded and 2 are in full sun, you would get:

In series:
Either 2A * 300V = 600W, or 6A * 200V = 1200W.

In parallel:
(6A * 200V) + (2A * 100V) = 1400W.

Is that correct? That is assuming that partial shading would still result in 1/3 power coming out of the solar panel. From what I've seen with my small 12V 100W panels is that covering just one cell reduces power to 10%.

Awesome thank you! So with your 3 example panels where 1 is shaded and 2 are in full sun, you would get:

In series:
Either 2A * 300V = 600W, or 6A * 200V = 1200W.

In parallel:
(6A * 200V) + (2A * 100V) = 1400W.

Is that correct? That is assuming that partial shading would still result in 1/3 power coming out of the solar panel. From what I've seen with my small 12V 100W panels is that covering just one cell reduces power to 10%.

Looks right. A single cell taking out 90% of the panel is atypical, but your panels may have fewer bypass diodes. I think 36 cell panels have fewer bypass diodes, so I could see it taking out 50% of the panel.

It might be about the MPPT algorithm too. Next time you're experimenting, watch the PV current and PV voltage in TRENDS. Every 10 minutes, a Victron MPPT conducts a MPPT sweep. You may find that after up to 10 minutes, the MPPT has found a better max power point.

Back