diy solar

diy solar

Should I switch from series to parallel?

jfrasier71

So a couple months ago, I installed my first system in my RV (with great help from the community btw)

Currently, I have a series connection, and am only outputting around 80v and 1.6a on a good day from 2 200w panels. I suspect that is because I am in series, and it is causing a loss due to one of the panels being shaded. I am planning on switching to parallel so that each panel will work on its own. But that will lead to more heat in my wiring. ATM, I am using 12g solar panel wiring, around 13 ft of it. I looked at the chart, and it looked like it would be ok, but should I change that to a thicker gauge to compensate for the heat, maybe 10g or should I be ok with the 12g?

Those pv conductors can easily handle that current with very little loss. Should be fine. I would check every connection first. Especially the mc4 connections.

Years back I found a really nasty bad connection in my own pv junction box on the roof of my rv. It was causing all sorts of problems I couldn't seem to figure out.

Series equals higher voltage, which means less voltage drop. I'm not sure what advantage will be gained by switching to parallel. But, please let us know.

Parallel can be advantageous if using a PWM controller. That's about it.

In my beginner book I recommend parallel series connection to avoid higher voltages. Trying to make it as safe as possible for beginners. They will have to work with PV controller input terminals and I would feel awful if something bad happened.

But for everything else, always implement a series connection. The higher the voltage the better.

In my beginner book I recommend parallel series connection to avoid higher voltages. Trying to make it as safe as possible for beginners. They will have to work with PV controller input terminals and I would feel awful if something bad happened.

But for everything else, always implement a series connection. The higher the voltage the better.
No I have a MPPT controller. I remember reading in the book that in a series connection, both panels work as one and if one is in the shade it could negatively affect the voltage output. I just checked all my connectors, and they are tight. Could it be a setting in the MPPT that is keeping the voltage so low? They are not cheap or old panels either. I purchased 2

RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 24 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel High Efficiency Solar Module for RV Trailer Camper Marine Off Grid​

When I went up on the roof to washed them off, I noticed there was a little flex bending in the panels not sure if that could cause any issues or not.

No I have a MPPT controller. I remember reading in the book that in a series connection, both panels work as one and if one is in the shade it could negatively affect the voltage output. I just checked all my connectors, and they are tight. Could it be a setting in the MPPT that is keeping the voltage so low? They are not cheap or old panels either. I purchased 2

RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 24 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel High Efficiency Solar Module for RV Trailer Camper Marine Off Grid​

When I went up on the roof to washed them off, I noticed there was a little flex bending in the panels not sure if that could cause any issues or not.
Those are equipped with bypass diodes.

I love it when you make my life easier. :)

I'm doing my first solar install on our travel trailer, 2 200W Rich Solar panels going into a Victron 100/30. The rest of the system is Victron mostly I tackled everything else and now it's time for the final components, the panels and solar charge controller. I've been going back and forth on serial vs. parallel as I can do either but I will start with serial based on your proclamation.

Thanks for all you do !

diy solar

diy solar
Back