diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar and shipping damage, are you a victim too?

I was totally shocked when I received my Artillian hydraulic plow for my Kubota tractor. It came through Estes, which has been the best shipper I"ve dealt with so far. Artillian had the plow wrapped in some kind of material and it was in a box the size of a coffin. They had a wooden frame around the plow and cardboard covering that as well as some type of foam inside. Not a scratch on the plow or a dented area on the box. Very impressed.
I've had issues with R&L and Yellow in the past, but the 3 shipments through Estes have been pretty good.

Its tough for companies to find a good shipping method. Even FedEx and UPS have been terrible.

Agreed they SHOULD just exchange the battery, it was shipping damage, not a warranty claim. Signature Solar then should turn around and submit a claim with the shipper for the value of the battery "insured amount". Many times the shipper will collect damaged equipment paid under a insurance claim, so chances are IF they file a claim with freight company you won't be getting that battery back.

But with them saying this, it makes me question, DOES Signature Solar actually insure their shipments for the value of the goods? Are they going to file a claim?

Either way, I would demand a new battery, not a repaired one. It's not warranty, it's shipping damage.
We wish this is the way it worked, it would make our lives 1000's of times easier. The issue with most shipping companies, especially freight, is they have you sign to receive it and it typically says to mark the product damaged if there is damage. Unfortunately a lot of these drivers are rushing people and don't fully explain the process. If you receive a shipment from any LTL company, you should always open and inspect for damage. If they don't let you, you write something along the lines of 'Possible Unseen Damage due to Driver Not Allowing Inspection'. If you simply sign, they almost always decline the claim saying it was damaged after the driver left. We have some very clear guidelines on our website and in emails we send out (especially when it comes to panels) and unfortunately they get overlooked.

Edit: Just wanted to say we insure all our shipments, but it's hard to collect if the company fights that it was damaged by the end user based on a signature saying they received the product and didn't notate it was damaged.

We wish this is the way it worked, it would make our lives 1000's of times easier. The issue with most shipping companies, especially freight, is they have you sign to receive it and it typically says to mark the product damaged if there is damage. Unfortunately a lot of these drivers are rushing people and don't fully explain the process. If you receive a shipment from any LTL company, you should always open and inspect for damage. If they don't let you, you write something along the lines of 'Possible Unseen Damage due to Driver Not Allowing Inspection'. If you simply sign, they almost always decline the claim saying it was damaged after the driver left. We have some very clear guidelines on our website and in emails we send out (especially when it comes to panels) and unfortunately they get overlooked.

Edit: Just wanted to say we insure all our shipments, but it's hard to collect if the company fights that it was damaged by the end user based on a signature saying they received the product and didn't notate it was damaged.
Just a note on that. The shipper that you used to send my batteries to me, didn't have me sign anything.

Just a note on that. The shipper that you used to send my batteries to me, didn't have me sign anything.
Yep. Unfortunately some companies started a 'no-contact due to covid' or similar policies. They (the shipping company)'s drivers often forget to mention the whole damage waiver etc. It's been a headache at many different levels. We have spent a significant amount of money simply honoring replacements, reshipping, and so much more to make it right with our customers, but unfortunately some of the headaches have been felt by the end users due to the way shipping currently is in the world.

If we receive a damaged shipment from Signature Solar, can the delivery be refused?… I’ve been waiting for delivery of batteries, and the shipper has screwed it up twice. Now have the third “ four hour window” scheduled for next week. Who knows how many times this shipment has bound around from truck to truck.

I was able to ship back the damaged battery, finally. The shipping companies can't get out of their own way. The first company never showed up, so Signature had R&L come out the next day. 5 minutes before R&L arrived, the other company showed up. LOL I told him he was a day late and a dollar short. He told me there have been a bunch of these issues lately.

Regarding the packaging of the batteries, I think Signature may want to look into using wood instead of styrofoam on the end of the battery where the handles are and all the components. The second battery I received had very bent handles. The battery works so wasn't going to go through replacing. The third battery should be here in a few days, although the trucking company keeps changing the delivery date. We'll have to see how those handles are.

Thought I'd add my experience to this thread since it was useful to me in prep for receiving my shipment. I ordered (5) EG4 Lifepower batteries, the 6 level rack, and a few other items. Items were shipped via R&L "R|L" ("Residential / Lift Gate", I'm guessing). The driver arrived early (not an issue for me, but could have been for some else) and was pleasant on arrival. I immediately noticed compression damaged to the box on top as well as puncture damage to the side of one of the big boxes.

The driver was kind enough to bring the pallet up my driveway to my liking with his pallet jack. He handed me the 'customer copy' of the freight bill and was about to walk off when I ask him if I needed to sign. He told me no. I told him I'd noted some damage and pointed it out to him, and he told me that I was unable to make any notations on his paperwork. (Looking at the customer copy of the freight bill, I can't see any signature lines or notes area to make notes regarding damage.). I pointed out the damage and that I would receive the shipment but needed to note any damage before he left. He offered to wait while I checked each item in the shipment (5 eg4 batteries, a 6 slot rack, an a/c & dc disconnect, a charger and a few other items). there were 7 boxes. He did state that if there was no obvious damage to the packaging that there was no way the damage could have been caused during shipping and had to happen at the origin.. I didn't argue with him on this point.

Having read this thread prior, I was ready with a box cutter and opened every single box while he waited. He made no complaints. I mostly checked the front of the eg4 batteries ensuring there were no damaged posts, handles, or mounts. Despite the packaging damage, in my quick inspection (took maybe 5 mins to quickly check each item), I couldn't find anything wrong with the actual contents. I thanked the driver for his patience and he was on his way.

On further unpacking I did notice a minor dent & scratch on the side of one of the batteries (about an inch long with paint loss), but there was no damage to that side of the box and the foam packaging was intact. I chalk that one up to damage at the factory, since there's no way the scratch could have occurred with the box and foam intact. The battery powers up okay.

Not sure what the deal is with the driver not allowing me to sign the paperwork and note the packaging damage, but it does align with feedback earlier in this thread. It worked out okay this time. My scheduled delivery window was between 1-5pm. Driver showed up around 12pm. No call no text indicating early arrival. I was here and the earlier arrival actually worked out better for me.

Hope this helps someone as the feedback here has helped me.

I didn't sign for last freight delivery either. He unloaded it, said thanks and he started to leave. I asked, don't you want me to sign something? He said nope, we don't do that anymore due to Covid, they want to keep interaction with customers to a minimum... I'm like OK, well thanks. If there was damage, I guess it would have been up to the driver to note it, the customers are no longer allowed or required to touch the paperwork. So Signature Solar and other shippers need to keep that in mind when dealing with any claims that come up.

Last edited:
Thought I'd add my experience to this thread since it was useful to me in prep for receiving my shipment. I ordered (5) EG4 Lifepower batteries, the 6 level rack, and a few other items. Items were shipped via R&L "R|L" ("Residential / Lift Gate", I'm guessing). The driver arrived early (not an issue for me, but could have been for some else) and was pleasant on arrival. I immediately noticed compression damaged to the box on top as well as puncture damage to the side of one of the big boxes.

The driver was kind enough to bring the pallet up my driveway to my liking with his pallet jack. He handed me the 'customer copy' of the freight bill and was about to walk off when I ask him if I needed to sign. He told me no. I told him I'd noted some damage and pointed it out to him, and he told me that I was unable to make any notations on his paperwork. (Looking at the customer copy of the freight bill, I can't see any signature lines or notes area to make notes regarding damage.). I pointed out the damage and that I would receive the shipment but needed to note any damage before he left. He offered to wait while I checked each item in the shipment (5 eg4 batteries, a 6 slot rack, an a/c & dc disconnect, a charger and a few other items). there were 7 boxes. He did state that if there was no obvious damage to the packaging that there was no way the damage could have been caused during shipping and had to happen at the origin.. I didn't argue with him on this point.

Having read this thread prior, I was ready with a box cutter and opened every single box while he waited. He made no complaints. I mostly checked the front of the eg4 batteries ensuring there were no damaged posts, handles, or mounts. Despite the packaging damage, in my quick inspection (took maybe 5 mins to quickly check each item), I couldn't find anything wrong with the actual contents. I thanked the driver for his patience and he was on his way.

On further unpacking I did notice a minor dent & scratch on the side of one of the batteries (about an inch long with paint loss), but there was no damage to that side of the box and the foam packaging was intact. I chalk that one up to damage at the factory, since there's no way the scratch could have occurred with the box and foam intact. The battery powers up okay.

Not sure what the deal is with the driver not allowing me to sign the paperwork and note the packaging damage, but it does align with feedback earlier in this thread. It worked out okay this time. My scheduled delivery window was between 1-5pm. Driver showed up around 12pm. No call no text indicating early arrival. I was here and the earlier arrival actually worked out better for me.

Hope this helps someone as the feedback here has helped me.
Glad to hear that the forum helped you. That's what this forum should be all about.
Congratulations on getting your batteries in one piece and operational!

My second battery shipped on 1/21/22 and still hasn't arrived. ABF Freight contracted with a local delivery company who has had the batter for 6 days now. I gave ABF the benefit of the doubt since there were two snowstorms, but we are closing in on a month pretty quickly.

Signature actually contacted the local delivery company since I couldn't reach them. Signature seems to be doing the best they can, but these shipping companies are ridiculous.

Wow as a comparison i've had a broken panel (clearly broken during shipping) in a 2 of the 5 pallet stacks from Santan Solar and every time they quickly refunded the exact amount i asked for with no hassle. Didn't involve the freight company at all.
Just went through the same thing with Santan Solar.
Two broken panels, on the bottom of the pallet of 24.
Quickly refunded me.
Will definitely be buying more from them.

I didn't sign for last freight delivery either. He unloaded it, said thanks and he started to leave. I asked, don't you want me to sign something? He said nope, we don't do that anymore due to Covid, they want to keep interaction with customers to a minimum... I'm like OK, well thanks. If there was damage, I guess it would have been up to the driver to note it, the customers are no longer allowed or required to touch the paperwork. So Signature Solar and other shippers need to keep that in mind when dealing with any claims that come up.
This is a HUGE headache for us. They actively go out of their way (shipping companies) to deny claims with no notations, meanwhile they have no issues dropping packages off without signatures, often when the customer isn't even there to receive. And yet, they don't want to take responsibility when there is OBVIOUS damage from a forklift or other shipping issue. It's downright fraud if you ask me - we lose thousands of dollars every week to denied claims from this bogus process. I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit at some point in the future after all these 'safety' changes they have made due to covid.

It would be good if we had the option of signature required. This no accountability routine is not going to work.
The problem is, that is already how they say they operate! That's why on a lot of receipts it says that a signature without damage notation means you accept the condition it was delivered in and no claims can be made after the fact.

Just went through the same thing with Santan Solar.
Two broken panels, on the bottom of the pallet of 24.
Quickly refunded me.
Will definitely be buying more from them.
This is great. This is exactly what we do when it comes to solar panels. We specifically recommend ordering a few extra panels just in case so if they get damaged we will just refund the difference, and if they are all fine you have a few extras just in case. We used to try to ship out a few more to make sure people got what they needed, but (unsurprisingly) shipping 1-2 panels pretty much means they 100% will be broken.

I was lucky. My battery arrived undamaged and early. I wasn't home yet. But, the driver put it exactly where I asked. And, he went out of his way to do so.

Back