diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

It looks like all of my settings did not take I have to be vigilant and back out on each setting that I set triple check it make sure that it stays there. Then I have to shut everything down completely turn it back on and double triple check that all of their settings are correct. Today all is well we will see about tonight. I have my 3.5 ton AC pumping away no problem. The only thing I have noticed as I have to balance my load panel. One of the inverters is out putting more than the other. No big deal that's expected on these type of setups.
Do you have any idea what your AC inrush current is? I'm still heavily leaning towards 2 of these but am concerned they won't handle my well pump.

Here are the specs. I am using a soft start

Micro-Air ASY-368-X48-BLUE​

Attachments

• 20220307_194925.jpg
    20220307_194925.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 17
There should be a cable that has a sticker on it - that's the one for the communication to the inverter and battery. Pins for the battery are 1/2. Pins for the inverter are 3/5.
My cable only has pin 3/5 on one side and all 8 on the other end. If I plug the side with pin 3/5 into the battery, the inverter will fault 61. If I flip the cable it will clear the fault but intermittently show fault 61 at random and clear it's self. lasted about an hour before the first fault 61 and has done it 4 times in the last 3 hours.

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_203246957.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220611_203246957.MP.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
My cable only has pin 3/5 on one side and all 8 on the other end. If I plug the side with pin 3/5 into the battery, the inverter will fault 61. If I flip the cable it will clear the fault but intermittently show fault 61 at random and clear it's self. lasted about an hour before the first fault 61 and has done it 4 times in the last 3 hours.
Yes, we originally sent these out with all pins on 1 side and it seems to think that it can use the other pins. Please either repin the battery side to 1/2 only or call SS for a new cord.

Yes, we originally sent these out with all pins on 1 side and it seems to think that it can use the other pins. Please either repin the battery side to 1/2 only or call SS for a new cord.
Out of curiosity have you contacted all of your customers that ordered before you started shipping with the proper pinout?
Doesn't SS test x amount of each batch for QC?

Out of curiosity have you contacted all of your customers that ordered before you started shipping with the proper pinout?
You must be kidding. I haven't even received all of my Solarever 445 watt panels and I can't even look up its data sheet or its warranty because that product has disappeared from Signature Solar website.

No, I'd be running my whole house. I'm not to worried about the other items besides the air compressor and saws, well pump is my primary concern.
Thanks for the specs. The LRA / highest inrush I saw on my pump was ~38a on each leg, clamped at the panel.
Nice.

Yes - the the cables were not included when they were shipped originally, we decided it would be best to add them. So we started making them, repinning 1 side to be the correct lay out and leaving all 8 on the other but it seems that can cause issues (or so I believe at this point). I'll touch base with SS on Monday to clarify.

I re-terminated the cable and it lasted about 7 hours and it fault 61'd cleared faulted again cleared and faulted again all within 60 seconds. I'm guessing this isn't a cable issue as my fluke confirmed the pinout.

I re-terminated the cable and it lasted about 7 hours and it fault 61'd cleared faulted again cleared and faulted again all within 60 seconds. I'm guessing this isn't a cable issue as my fluke confirmed the pinout.
It’s kind of odd that you guys are having this problem.
Will Prowse got one long before anybody else and he is evidently not having an issue. Since it seems that SS can replicate the problem it would make sense that there solution should work across the board.
So what cable did Will get with his?

Will Prowse got one long before anybody else and he is evidently not having an issue. Since it seems that SS can replicate the problem it would make sense that there solution should work across the board.
I don't think he uses the eg4 setting for the battery. Seems like he's having the same issue, he posted a few pages back.

Went back and looked.
Both of his videos, he doesn't have a communication cable from the inverter to the batteries.

Last edited:
Yes, we are aware of an issue with the very first batch of cables we sent out. You can re-pin a cable or we are happy to send another. In every case we've tested for this it's been the cable itself and not anything with firmware or the inverter.

Yes - the the cables were not included when they were shipped originally, we decided it would be best to add them. So we started making them, repinning 1 side to be the correct lay out and leaving all 8 on the other but it seems that can cause issues (or so I believe at this point). I'll touch base with SS on Monday to clarify.
I'm confused, you didn't include them in the original shipment in one statement then the next you had the wrong pinout.
Glad I won't be using eg4 batteries if I order 2 inverters.
Could there be some kind of noise on the remaining wires causing these issues?

Post number 466 from will as follows:

I've spent the last four days or so trying to get the communication to work and I'm having the same issues. I have multiple cables that are special made for all inverters and batteries, and I'm getting error 61. Can't get sok, trophy, eg4 or jakiper to work. I tried various settings as well. I think I'll leave this one to the distributors to solve because none of them seem to work at all for me.

I'm confused, you didn't include them in the original shipment in one statement then the next you had the wrong pinout.
Glad I won't be using eg4 batteries if I order 2 inverters.
Could there be some kind of noise on the remaining wires causing these issues?
When shipped form our factory (original shipment) to SS for distribution, there were no cables. We created cables on site - originally changing the PINOUT on 1 side to match for the EG4 setting inside the inverter (not necessarily the 'wrong' pinout, but I digress). It seems that this can cause some to experience Error 61 (there may be some other underlying reason, we are researching), and we have since changed to only terminating the correct PINS on both sides. We are reevaluating multiple testing points on this to make sure it works for everyone.

When shipped form our factory (original shipment) to SS for distribution, there were no cables. We created cables on site - originally changing the PINOUT on 1 side to match for the EG4 setting inside the inverter (not necessarily the 'wrong' pinout, but I digress). It seems that this can cause some to experience Error 61 (there may be some other underlying reason, we are researching), and we have since changed to only terminating the correct PINS on both sides. We are reevaluating multiple testing points on this to make sure it works for everyone.
Thanks for following up. I appreciate you admit there may be another underlying reason besides the termination config.
I hope you get it figured out. It seems the inverters work well otherwise.
Do you have a fair amount in US stock?

No matter what setting I put it in sbu or sub with bypass enabled it is just consistently utilizing bypass. I have made sure to turn system completely off restart the whole system to make sure that the setting takes and it's still pulls power from the utility instead of prioritizing battery or solar
Then I had already disabled bypass. Turned the system completely off rebooted the entire solar setup. Make sure that the setting took. It was running in battery mode.
5 min later I saw that the lights flickered ever so slightly so I checked it out and sure enough it went into bypass mode.
While I was typing up this message it went out of bypass mode back to batteries 2 minutes later.... I'm guessing the utility took over for a minutes or so because the solar was going out as it is getting dark here.
I'm hoping communication with the batteries helps this as it probably read the voltage for the battery bank and thought that it did not have enough power but the batteries are plentiful.

No matter what setting I put it in sbu or sub with bypass enabled it is just consistently utilizing bypass. I have made sure to turn system completely off restart the whole system to make sure that the setting takes and it's still pulls power from the utility instead of prioritizing battery or solar
Then I had already disabled bypass. Turned the system completely off rebooted the entire solar setup. Make sure that the setting took. It was running in battery mode.
5 min later I saw that the lights flickered ever so slightly so I checked it out and sure enough it went into bypass mode.
While I was typing up this message it went out of bypass mode back to batteries 2 minutes later.... I'm guessing the utility took over for a minutes or so because the solar was going out as it is getting dark here.
I'm hoping communication with the batteries helps this as it probably read the voltage for the battery bank and thought that it did not have enough power but the batteries are plentiful.
Okay. Just to verify have you contact SS to create a ticket with the tech support team directly on this one? I know I've been doing some remote troubleshooting but I just want to make sure they have it documented for their records, and also so they can assist with more in-depth troubleshooting than I can provide over the forums.

Back